Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Beauty and the Beast 

What grade would you give this film?
A 81%  81%  [ 21 ]
B 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 26

Beauty and the Beast 
Cream of the Crop

this is as shallow as it gets, even by the standards of the current disney regime. uncle walt wouldnt be proud.

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:50 am
Profile ICQ
Commander and Chef

Well this had always been the story of Beauty and the Beast so I can't really blame the 90s version for portraying the same thing.

Having said that, I've never been a fan of BatB so I never quite enjoyed this flick.

Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:14 am
Profile WWW
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

And my A is up there, although it should EASILY be an A+, easily. I was so rooting for the Oscar. It's true, this movie is the sole reason for an Animated Best Picture Oscar, and honestly, they should have given it some honorary Oscar.

I think it's the best that Disney has ever made. I never did like Aladdin or even Lion King.

What about Cinderella, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo, Bambi, Lady and the Tramp, The Aristocats, Snow White, The Three Caballeros, etc? :P I like a bunch of those better than Beast.

Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:49 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Of all the Disney stuff, the only other movie that came close was Little Mermaid. That's just my opinion; and maybe it has to do with how you are when you see these movies. I was in college during Mermaid and Beast.

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Its one of the best animated films ever, Its my third favorite disney film.

A+

Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:39 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

I have found memories of when I saw it, and at the time I was also around 7 years old. Add to that the fact that the song is probably my favorite all-time movie song and I think there is more of an emotional connection to the movie then most which is why I rank it so high.

However, that being said, it is still a masterpiece of animation and one of Disney's best.

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:47 pm
Begging Naked

Post Re:
bABA wrote:
Well this had always been the story of Beauty and the Beast so I can't really blame the 90s version for portraying the same thing.

Yeah, I find this odd. If anything it improves on the original story by having the curse play a major part in the overall story instead of showing up at the very end out of nowhere like it does in the original story.

Anyway, easily my favorite Disney film and probably my second favorite overall after Spirited Away. Probably some of the most beautiful animation in any animated film period. It's really no wonder that it was nominated for Best Picture.

Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Beauty and the Beast (1991)
Beauty and the Beast is one of my favourite Disney films. I saw it in it's original release, and then even more impressively in it's re-release in it's 2001 IMAX S.E. version. The hand-painted glory is astounding even across the resolution of the giant screen, and the sound is spectacular.

As to being the best animated film of all time - - well, that's a tall order that, I don't think Beauty and the Beast can fulfil - - I mean seriously, Miyazaki is at the very peak of animation art, and the early classic Disney films are hand-painted masterpieces, let alone many of the 80's/90's Disney renaissance including Little Memaid, Pocohontas, Lion King, Mulan, Tarzan, Fantasia 2000, and even Aladdin. Personally, I would also rate Ratatouille above Beauty and the Beast - - but then I'm not a CGI snob - - Toy Story & Bug's Life also deserve to be recognized in the elite realm of the finest animation ever as well. Other non Miyazaki/Disney/Pixar animated films that are also as good or better than Beauty and the Beast are Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron, Triplettes of Belleville, Paprika, & Chicken Run.

But, there is one essential difference between Beauty and the Beast and the rest of the animated movies that may best it - - it is a full-on movie musical, and a great one - - one of the few musicals of it's generation, until they started making them again in the 2000's! (There is one other oddball case: South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut - - another very good musical, an extremely funny movie, but I can barely refer to it as animated when speaking of these other fine films. Come to think of it, Nightmare Before Christmas pretty much fits into this strange category too.)

I don't include motion capture films, which are barely animation imho - - not that there are any worth speaking of in the company of the hallowed brethern of the above films, and I don't include non-feature animated films. There are a thousand short animated films from around the world that are absolutely brilliant examples of the animator's art - - from the Tex Avery and Chuck Jones to Zbigniew Rybczinski's Tango...

Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:35 am
Hold the door!

Post Re: Beauty and the Beast
Though its plot holes are glaring, this is Disney's second best film after Aladdin. Music, characters, animation, plotline, all magnificent.

A+

Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:51 pm
Extraordinary

What are the plot holes?

Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:54 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This is still my favorite animated movie and one of the movies I hold closest to my heart. I hope the remake is good.

Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:43 pm
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

publicenemy#1 wrote:
What are the plot holes?

Where are the king and queen if the Beast is a prince? Where is his kingdom? How has no one found this castle in years and then Maurice just stumbles upon it? Where are all of the castle's real household objects? Why does the beats think acting like an asshole will help his case? If the beast is 21 in the film, he was cursed at 11. Who would curse an 11 year old for being an asshole? All 11 year olds are assholes. Why are there thousands upon thousands of attenders to one prince? Why does the beast have a portrait of himself as he looks today when he has been a beast for 10 years? Why wasn't Belle allowed to see the rose?

Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:06 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Those aren't plot holes.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:29 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Watching this again tonight and it's still one of my favorite films of all time. I also don't think any movie has as much personal value to me as this one (it's the first movie I ever saw in a theater). If the remake is good I'm going to probably be sobbing all the way through.

Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:06 pm
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

Still an excellent movie. At least the soundtrack for the new movie clarified why no one in the kingdom remembered the Beast or the servants.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:34 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This will never not be my favorite animated movie.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:23 pm
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

This is my favorite Disney movie hands down. Lightning in a bottle everything came together perfectly type experience that Disney has come close to, but not quite matched since.

Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2