Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Sunshine (2007) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 46%  46%  [ 11 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 8 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 24

Sunshine (2007) 
Extraordinary

Post Re: Sunshine
trixster wrote:
Hmm, there's something wrong with this thread. My last post isn't showing up. Nor is Gulli's. :huh:

You clearly sent the thread into diabetic shock with your frighteningly sweet review of this mediocre film...

Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:30 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
trixster wrote:
Hmm, there's something wrong with this thread. My last post isn't showing up. Nor is Gulli's. :huh:

You clearly sent the thread into diabetic shock with your frighteningly sweet review of this mediocre film...

Actually his review is perfectly valid, however I just don't buy the God-like linkages to Pinbacks insanity. Yes all the signs are there if you look but then I have to ask how would anybody else act like after 7 years of solitude and proximity to something as vast as the Sun and each time I'd think they'd just go banana's. So for me to do down the harbinger/instrument of doom road I'd have to assume its the one time amount countless that somebody goes crazy without the normal human limits and weaknesses causing it.

Again one can take that view as its one with support, I just don't.

Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:35 pm
He didn't look busy?!

easily the most overlooked [in the US] film of the year, this film packed a great punch, because it offered EVERYTHING. Good writing, characters you care about, a great premise, beautiful visuals, and a good dose of humor when needed. It sorta got too hectic at the end, but it's forgivable, because as a whole, it's really a remarkable achievement, and Danny Boyle's second best film to date.

A-

Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Gullimont wrote:
Bradley Witherberry wrote:
trixster wrote:

Actually his review is perfectly valid, however I just don't buy the God-like linkages to Pinbacks insanity. Yes all the signs are there if you look but then I have to ask how would anybody else act like after 7 years of solitude and proximity to something as vast as the Sun and each time I'd think they'd just go banana's. So for me to do down the harbinger/instrument of doom road I'd have to assume its the one time amount countless that somebody goes crazy without the normal human limits and weaknesses causing it.

Again one can take that view as its one with support, I just don't.

My response to you was something along the lines of there's too much ambiguity with regards to Pinbacker's character to just write him off as the generic crazed slasher villain. Both his presentation on screen and some narrative gaps caused me to think this way.

And I didn't think my review was that sweet. It certainly doesn't approach the syrupy heights of bradley's Hairspray review...

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:28 pm
Extraordinary

trixster wrote:
And I didn't think my review was that sweet. It certainly doesn't approach the syrupy heights of bradley's Hairspray review...

Well, ya got me there...

Bradley :heart: Hairspray

Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:37 pm
problem?

I still liked the movie when it became Jason X, but it went down in quality when that began. Before the last 20 mins it was easily a great, solid A film, and it went down to about a B- or so when the Pinbroker or whatever his name was stuff started. But I thought the scene when Capa found out there was a fifth crew member was very well done and creepy, but they shouldn't have taken the film into slasher territory. A faulty ending brought down an otherwise great space epic.

Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:24 pm
He didn't look busy?!

I agree with that...throwing that guy into the mix was an interesting idea, but they went way too far with it.

But my question is: How could they have ended it? Would it have been satisfying if their mission just went awry on its own and ended with them sending the thing into the sun due along with themselves due to making a mistake? Regardless, I thought it was great; they just should've worked on that ending.

Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:26 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

7/10 -> B-

A great space epic that at the end turns into your usual slasher. I mean WTF??? All the characters turn into stupid teenagers in the end, act all scared and run around trying to hide. Just to go on a space mission should mean they're all in great shape and they're able to fight.

Also when Cillian saw that Pink-what's-his-name guy why didn't he killed him right away or try to lock him down? He got it all figured out when the computer told him there's someone else on the ship (he might not have known who, but he knew that was the guy who was killing around) and he goes in the observatory and chats with the guy??!?!?!?!

Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:33 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Some interesting points of view so far. I have to admit - Im with Gulli on this one. The film is definitely ambitious and for the most part it does come close to filling its ambitions. Visually its stunning with some of the best space scenes ever filmed. However it tends to fall apart when the 5th crewmember appears (however the scene when Capa finds out about the additional crew member is brilliant).

A beautiful looking film - but flawed.

Grade: B

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:47 am
You must have big rats

Most underrated film of the year, it is.

Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:31 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Most underrated film of the year, it is.

Indeed.

More people need to see this!

Same.

Algren wrote:

Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:58 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I guess I'm in the minority here in liking the last 20 mins or so the best. Because it creeded me out and kept my attention the entire time. Especially when Icarus (I think that's the ships CPU name) tells Capa there is a 5th person on the ship. I just didn't like how the camera shots froze at random moments during this time (last 20 mins or so). That did become annoying since I don't see how it did anything... besides annoy me. It's a solid film, and I'm a Cillian Murphy and Michelle Yeoh fan. And I loved the everytime I dream, I dream of the surface of the sun (or something like that). And thought the ending was good.

B

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:01 pm
Profile WWW
Another You

TechnicaLLy amazing, stunning space shots aLa 2001 that tried to be scientificaLLy accurate as possibLe, some intense scenes and good performances. Though coming off with that great concept, it couLd have been the best fiLm of 2007 if they came up with fresher ideas Like with the death scenes as been stated before and a better Last 30 mins. StiLL, one of the great sci-fi fiLms of the past few years.

A-

Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:34 am
Squee

This is a movie that screams "BUY ME ON BLU RAY!"

Which I will, cause I loved it. It's a stunning film. Unlike most of you, I didn't mind the ending. In fact I kind of loved it. I probably would have disliked it more if it actually did turn into Jason X, but no, seeing one of the crew members get knifed is not exactly Jason X. The others died in situations related to the whack job, but not in a slasher way. Heck, I even thought the guy was affectively creepy. It was an exhilarating experience, one I had a couple times earlier this year. Where I'm watching the movie and while I'm watching it realizing how much I was loving it. I even made up my dream scenario for the way I would want it to end and said to myself "If it ends like that, this could be one of my favorite movies ever." And then... it did end like that.

(Those two other times, by the way: Sweeney Todd and Once Upon a Time in the West)

So yeah.... ****

2nd favorite movie of 2007, which was a fanfuckingtastic year, so 2nd place is nothing to be ashamed of. Hell, 2nd place in 2007 is a top 20 all time finish for me.

:glare:

Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:56 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Stop pandering to the sci-fi horn dogs around here.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:03 am
Profile WWW
Squee

Corpse wrote:
Stop pandering to the sci-fi horn dogs around here.

The sci-fi horn dogs have already forsaken me for giving Children of Men only 3 and a half stars.

:glare:

Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:09 am
loyalfromlondon

I knew you'd come through for me, Squee. :thumbsup:

Same.

Algren wrote:

Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:51 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

On a bit of side note I'm listening to the soundtrack atm and I must admit in that aspect that film was pretty damn flawless.

The Songs "What do you See?" and "Surface of the Sun" in particular really stand out.

Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:05 pm
loyalfromlondon

Gulli wrote:
On a bit of side note I'm listening to the soundtrack atm and I must admit in that aspect that film was pretty damn flawless.

The Songs "What do you See?" and "Surface of the Sun" in particular really stand out.

Just admit it, you loved the film. YOU LOVED IT, DIDN'T YOU????

Same.

Algren wrote:

Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:21 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

trixster wrote:
Gulli wrote:

Just admit it, you loved the film. YOU LOVED IT, DIDN'T YOU????

Its very pretty.....................and you're not making me budge any more!!

Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:24 pm
Devil's Advocate

Gulli nailed it on page 1. I was in awe and in love with the first hour... The shots of the sun and ship sailing into it, the technology on board, the risk assesment decision involving Icarus 1 and the series of bad events that occur because of it, the death of Kenada and the suspense of that entire sequence, the scene in Icarus 1 and Searle staying behind. The thematics of the fim were set up, with the sun as a godlike presence and the Icarus as a vessell, the human and psychological questions the crewmembers were faced with, the realization that they weren't going back. I was ready to call it a fabulous, fabulous sci-fi film. Then comes Pinbacker.

I understand the what's been outlined in this thread, that Pinbacker in his blurred appearance ambigiously represents a disciple of god sent to destroy these vessels. However, cinematically, the film succeeds much much more as a graceful sci-fi epic than it does as a chase thriller. Pinbacker's trek through the ship and the events and deaths following is rather predictable and average, as if taken from a more Hollywood-esque disaster film like The Core. Additionally, I felt the religious parallels and the human themes had already been set up enough by the film without him. Bringing in the idea that god sent someone to destroy this ship... I just don't see what that adds, it gives me nothing more to take out of the film and doesn't serve much message. But whatever.

trixster wrote:
It's interesting, then, to look at the cast of characters and where they fit into the grand scheme of things. Even relatively minor characters, who are offed fairly quickly, are given their moment in the sun (so to speak). One can observe the divide among the eight crew members - those concerned with trivial human matters, and those who can see the bigger picture. Along these lines, I would consider Corazon, Trey, Mace, and Harvey to fall into the first category, leaving Searle, Cassie, Kaneda, and of course Capa in the latter category. It's unusual to note that the characters are not separated according to the typical science/faith debate - none of the characters express their belief in God or some other higher power, and Capa - a man of science - sits in opposition to many of the other scientific members of the team. The divide is present many times throughout the film, most notably regarding their views on the detour to the original Icarus, and can be seen overtly in regards to their deaths. Each of the characters in the first category, those obsessed with the triviality of humanity, die cold, alone, and - most importantly - against their will. They are afraid of death, and thus their deaths are meaningless, a sacrifice for nothing. Conversely, those in the second category, those whose minds are open and able to 'see the light', die in heat, in light, reverently admiring that which ends up killing them, whether it be star or bomb.

This is an interesting idea, but holed IMO. Mace would fit into the second category, more than anyone he sides with the bigger picture and sacrificing themselves for the saviour of mankind, accepting his death... And he dies cold and alone. On the other end I would say Cassie is more concerned with trivial matters, trying to override Icarus to save Kenada and voting against killing Trey, and she dies in the light, although not staring it down. Corazon seems to be in the second group, as she votes to kill Trey and brings up the idea of getting rid of three crewmembers so they can deliver their payload, and she also dies alone and without meaning. But I think her character just cared more about plants than humans anyways.

The divide of people concerned with themselves and people concerned with delivering the payload is there and clear, and Kenada, Searle, and Mace are seen as worth for sacrificing themselves for the ship, while Harvey is seen as cowardly, but I don't believe the cause and place of death is structured according to which side of the divide they stand on.

Last edited by Shack on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:37 pm
je vois l'avenir

It was a good film, but it wasn't too entertaining....very B-

----Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Le Petit Prince)

A Lonely Person is at Home Everywhere.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:39 pm
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Sunshine (2007)
Wanted to see this someday and just got around to it, but apparently I hadn't really missed anything. There's some good stuff in it, mostly in the first hour, but despite the nice cast it gets way too bogged down in melo-drama stuff and loses any sight of being fascinating and tense. Garland and Boyle are talented, but it feels like this has been taken away from them and it ends up being just a mix of elements taken from other films that executed it better.

C+

Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3