Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) 
Extraordinary

Post The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
The Day the Earth Stood Still

Quote:
The Day the Earth Stood Still is a 1951 American science fiction film directed by Robert Wise and written by Edmund H. North based on the short story "Farewell to the Master" (1940) by Harry Bates. The film stars Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal, Sam Jaffe, and Hugh Marlowe. In the film, a humanoid alien visitor visits Earth with a warning, accompanied by his powerful robot, "Gort".

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:41 pm
loyalfromlondon

Simply a sci-fi classic. Sure, it's quite dated. Sure, the special effects are pretty terrible. Sure, the kid has got to be the most annoying character in the history of film. But it's so incredibly influential that any fan of sci-fi must appreciate this film. One of the first alien 'invasion' films, it's not really about an invasion at all; unlike other alien flicks of the '50s, the extra-terrestrial is benign and unworthy of the typical antagonistic human response it generates. The anti-atomic message is a bit heavy-handed, but perfectly placed in history, and the political layers are obvious but still effective. The story it's based on, "Farewell to the Master", is better, if only because of the great twist ending that the filmmakers cowardly left out of the film; also, the rather silly acknowledgment of 'the almighty spirit' is so hopelessly conservative in a rather liberal film that it really sticks out. Still, it's a classic.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:30 pm
Veteran

It really deserved the 'classic' title, but the ending is a little.....I don't know....hypocritical. If you mess with the pacificists in the rest of the universe, we'll destroy you!!!

Still, even with outdated effects, I really enjoyed it even though my children made fun of it the whole time. My grade: A-.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:53 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: The Day the Earth Stood Still
The film is really weird however it is one of those films that has a great point at the end and those are the films we still remember today.

B+

Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re:
trixster wrote:
Simply a sci-fi classic. Sure, it's quite dated. Sure, the special effects are pretty terrible. Sure, the kid has got to be the most annoying character in the history of film. But it's so incredibly influential that any fan of sci-fi must appreciate this film. One of the first alien 'invasion' films, it's not really about an invasion at all; unlike other alien flicks of the '50s, the extra-terrestrial is benign and unworthy of the typical antagonistic human response it generates. The anti-atomic message is a bit heavy-handed, but perfectly placed in history, and the political layers are obvious but still effective. The story it's based on, "Farewell to the Master", is better, if only because of the great twist ending that the filmmakers cowardly left out of the film; also, the rather silly acknowledgment of 'the almighty spirit' is so hopelessly conservative in a rather liberal film that it really sticks out. Still, it's a classic.

Great review - - I agree with everything but your grade - - this is an A+ groundbreaking movie all the way...

BTW, I love the following dialogue exchange in the original:

Quote:
Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

...they easily could have been talking about the remake!

Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:22 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Yeah, this is a real classic - and miles better than the pointless remake. A-

Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:37 am
Profile YIM
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

Didn't like it at all. The plot was just so damn bad, and the movie just ok. I actually liked the re-make a lot more.

C

Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:42 pm
Extraordinary

Ev@n wrote:
Didn't like it at all. The plot was just so damn bad, and the movie just ok. I actually liked the re-make a lot more.

C

Wow... that's harsh!

(It's arguably one of the best hard sci-fi movies ever.)

Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:54 pm
The Wall

5/10 -> C-

I couldn't believe it, but the remake isn't a large letdown from the original (if it's a letdown at all). Both movies are noneventful borefests with completely mishandled way of delivering the message.

This one is completely hypocritical, unlike the remake that's too preachy. I can not appreciate the peace message that's based on passive destructive behaviour.

I'm a fan of the old classic sci-fi movies and this one always managed to fly under the radar. I knew of it, but I never found time to see it. I was pretty dissapointed because it's a rather mediocre movie.

Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:51 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]