Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Grindhouse 

What grade would you give this film?
A 68%  68%  [ 23 ]
B 26%  26%  [ 9 ]
C 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 34

Grindhouse 
Leader of the Pack

Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:16 pm
Team Kris

I dunno who Michael Parks is, and don't see how he could possibly mean anything to the order. :huh:

And the title that flashes is Thunderbolt, I'm pretty sure.

Ah, Thunderbolt. Thanks!

Michael Parks plays Sheriff Earl McGraw (Dakota's dad in Grind House)

Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:53 pm
Extraordinary

People..... the second half didnt happen first.

1. He still had the scar, stop with this argument
2. It said in the f'in movie the second part happened 14 months later
3. They even had him grow a beard to represent the passing of time
4. He got his damn skull bashed in, that doesnt leave a scar, that leaves a brain popping out the back of your head

Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:28 pm
Extraordinary

El_Masked_fuerte_grande wrote:
andaroo.temp wrote:
Is it worth putting up with if you (meaning me) hate Rodriguez and everything he's ever created?

You hated From Dusk to Dawn? It was almost exactly like that

Yep. So now my question is, as someone who likes Jackie Brown, Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction (but not Dogs sadly) is it worth sitting through Planet Terror to see Death Proof?

Well, remember the diner scene in Dogs? If you didnt particually enjoy it there, it's 100x worse in Death Proof. I enjoy the slow burn nature of Tarantino's films and the lengthy amount of conversation they have, because in one way or another they're interesting, clever, and funny. The second half of Death Proof is none of those things.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:33 pm
Where will you be?

andaroo.temp wrote:
El_Masked_fuerte_grande wrote:
andaroo.temp wrote:
Is it worth putting up with if you (meaning me) hate Rodriguez and everything he's ever created?

You hated From Dusk to Dawn? It was almost exactly like that

Yep. So now my question is, as someone who likes Jackie Brown, Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction (but not Dogs sadly) is it worth sitting through Planet Terror to see Death Proof?

Well, remember the diner scene in Dogs? If you didnt particually enjoy it there, it's 100x worse in Death Proof. I enjoy the slow burn nature of Tarantino's films and the lengthy amount of conversation they have, because in one way or another they're interesting, clever, and funny. The second half of Death Proof is none of those things.

I was never bored or worn out by Death Proof for the second, but I walked out of Planet Terror on second viewing. Say what you will about the script (I thought the dialogue worked better in some scenes in Death Proof then a lot of scenes in Kill Bill), but I don't see how you'd blame the actresses if you liked Planet Terror - Rose McGowan's acting was incredibly wooden.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:47 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

I think it was because of the dislike of the two stuntwoman. I mean they left their friend with that one hick and god knows what he would have done to her in the hopes of hijacking the guys car. I dont think the dialogue in the diner really builds up symphaty for the characters especially the two stuntwoman. All that was really revealed that was important to the scene is that one lady carrying a gun around her and we know that they love stunt car chases

Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:51 pm
Extraordinary

I was never bored or worn out by Death Proof for the second, but I walked out of Planet Terror on second viewing. Say what you will about the script (I thought the dialogue worked better in some scenes in Death Proof then a lot of scenes in Kill Bill), but I don't see how you'd blame the actresses if you liked Planet Terror - Rose McGowan's acting was incredibly wooden.

Death Proof revolved around chatty women, Planet Terror didnt revolve around Rose McGowan's acting or anyone else's in particual either.

I dont know, maybe Death Proof works better stand alone then after watching an incredibly fun zombie flick. Planet Terror is the sex and Death Proof is the annoying girl that talks alot after you're finished, you dont wanna hear her talk anymore, you just wanna go to sleep.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:23 pm
Extraordinary

I think it was because of the dislike of the two stuntwoman. I mean they left their friend with that one hick and god knows what he would have done to her in the hopes of hijacking the guys car. I dont think the dialogue in the diner really builds up symphaty for the characters especially the two stuntwoman. All that was really revealed that was important to the scene is that one lady carrying a gun around her and we know that they love stunt car chases

I enjoyed the first batch of women, but man the two stuntwomen were a bunch of yentas. Especially the nappy headed ho, with the fuck this mother fuck that, every other word from her mouth was fuck, it just didnt sound right. She felt like a REALLY bad homage to Sam Jackson as Jules.

I dont remember where I heard this but it's incredibly true, I was waiting for the black girl to pull out some fried chicken and corn bread, it was such a stereotypical character and even if it was the intent that Tarantino had, it's still in bad taste and annoying.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:27 pm
Kypade

People..... the second half didnt happen first.

2. It said in the f'in movie the second part happened 14 months later
One and three are not important, and you're right about 1 - that argument has been dropped. Four is the most obvious problem, and if it's true, then yeah, of course that was the films end. I just personally didn't see anything concrete enough to convince me on my first viewing. As for number two, it says in the SCRIPT that it happens fourteen months later - does it say this in the movie too?

Anyway, like I think I've said already (though maybe not here), most of what I'm saying is little more than devil's advocacy. I don't necessarily believe it yet myself. But I still haven't been convinced that it's impossible, and since I think that it makes for an even better film, I see no harm in discussing it. And I also think it's a lot more fun than an entire thread of "Planet Terror was amazing, Death Proof was boring", which is what pretty much 90 percent of the internet has been saying since last Friday.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:11 pm
Extraordinary

Compared to their other bodies of work (I'm excluding the Four Rooms segments)

RR

From Dusk Til Dawn
Desperado
Sin City
Once Upon A Time In Mexico
Spy Kids
The Faculty
El Mariachi
Spy Kids II
Planet Terror
Spy Kids 3D
The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl 3D

QT

Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill Volume II
Kill Bill Voume I
Death Proof
Jackie Brown
Reservoir Dogs

QT hasn't made a great movie since Pulp Fiction & Reservoir Dogs -- as a matter of fact it's been pretty much a continuous gradual slide downwards...

RR is on a much less predictable quality path, with a long period of mediocrity after Desperado & From Dusk Til Dawn, but resurrected with Sin City and Grindhouse (remember, it is really RR's idea, his film, with QT in a guest director role)...

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:07 pm
Kypade

RR

Sin City
El Mariachi
Planet Terror
Desperado
Once Upon A Time In Mexico
Spy Kids
Spy Kids II

QT

Jackie Brown
Kill Bill Volume II
Reservoir Dogs
Death Proof
Kill Bill Voume I
Pulp Fiction

The first five of QT could change day to day though. Pulp Fiction is odd man out, and I still like it, just not as much as the rest of the world. I need to rewatch it though, for sure.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:38 pm
Kypade

and really, ranking Tarantino is useless...already looking at that list I want Vol. 1 higher and Vol. 2/Resevoir Dogs to be #1 and 2.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:58 pm
Kypade

It's probably gonna be closer to 9:30-40, btw. Figure it starts at 7:40 with trailers, runs to 10:50 according to imdb's 190 minute runtime, and Death Proof felt about 70 minutes, 80 tops. Better safe than sorry, annat, but just an fyi. :O :o :O

Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:12 pm
Forum General

Planet Terror didn't work for me. It had its moments, but it wasn't nearly fun enough for what it was trying to be. I was burned out on it by about the 3/4 mark.

Death Proof is a ride. As kind of a double feature in itself, it's unlike anything I've ever seen before. But I think its talkiness is a detriment; the never-ending dialogue did little for me.

I ultimately think neither film really works on a standalone basis. Planet Terror is too ridiculous and breaks no new ground, and Death Proof, at least on a Tarantino scale, is pretty slight.

As an experience it's unrivaled, and in a theater setting it is, admittedly, really fun. But, ultimately, neither director really does anything here good enough to deem this grindhouse experiment a true success.

In my opinion, of course.

I'll give it a B- or B. Something around there.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:52 am
Profile WWW
life begins now

Well, that was fucking amazing. I liked Planet Terror slightly more than Death Proof, but they both were great. Kurt Russell has never been so good. And Rose McGowan is amazingly beautiful, even with a gun for a leg.

A

Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:04 am
Profile YIM
Speed Racer

Planet Terror didn't work for me. It had its moments, but it wasn't nearly fun enough for what it was trying to be. I was burned out on it by about the 3/4 mark.

Death Proof is a ride. As kind of a double feature in itself, it's unlike anything I've ever seen before. But I think its talkiness is a detriment; the never-ending dialogue did little for me.

I ultimately think neither film really works on a standalone basis. Planet Terror is too ridiculous and breaks no new ground, and Death Proof, at least on a Tarantino scale, is pretty slight.

As an experience it's unrivaled, and in a theater setting it is, admittedly, really fun. But, ultimately, neither director really does anything here good enough to deem this grindhouse experiment a true success.

In my opinion, of course.

I'll give it a B- or B. Something around there.

I agree with you. The one thing about Death Proof that bored me was the dinner talk with the girls at the beginning. I actually heard Tarantino talk about this; he said he liked having the talking scenes especially in dinners and cars as that is what people do. and Planet Terror just got to be alittle too much.

The only other complaint is that they missed 2 scenes. In Planet Terror, I wanted the backstory on El Wray and also why he couldn't use guns. And in Death Proof, they needed to brin back the damaged car to the seller and also see what happened to the cheerleader.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:02 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

In regard to having them shown seperately and longer.

Planet Terror, bad idea, that was enough, no more needed.

Death Proof, maybe alittle more could be done especially if it focuses on Kurt Russell's character. Especially since there is extra time in that time-line and how did Kurt get that way.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Planet Terror I could see being split since there is a wider variety of characters with multiple backgrounds. Death Proof I wouldn't waste the time splitting because this has just too much dialogue that's already uninteresting as it is and the less we know about the stuntman the better. That's part of his appeal and mystique.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:25 am
Stanley Cup

Its hard to grade this film as a whole so i'm going to grade it individually

Machete - A-
Plant Terror - A. Movie was fuckin amazing
Werewolf - D. Fuckin Stupid
Don't - C+. Decent
Thanksgiving - B+. Funny as Fuck
Death Proof - B. Easily Tarantino's worst film to date. I loved the first half, but the last 30-35 minutes sucked.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:26 am
Vagina Qwertyuiop

I enjoyed Planet Terror much more than Death Proof. The car chase in Proof was great, but the endless talking drove me mad with boredom.

C+

Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:28 am
Extraordinary

Why am I the only one here completely in love with Death Proof? :sad:

Perhaps it's a cry for help?

Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:33 am
Extraordinary

bradley witherberry wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:

Perhaps it's a cry for help?

You and I Bradster, we were one last year. Now, you're back on your Wack-a-Doodle film rampage. At this pace, I can almost guarantee Underdog will be in your Top 10.

Heh - your just jealous of my sig...

(PS: Wack-a-Doodle Film Rampage® is a registered trademark of the Witherberry Armenian-Croatian Kinescope Yokels, please refrain from using it without the express written consent of W.A.C.K.Y. -- thank-you in advance.)

Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:53 am
Kypade

You're not. But you're probably the only one both in love with Death Proof and in hate with Planet Terror.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:58 am
All Star Poster

Sin City - A
Desperado - B+
From Dusk Til Dawn - B+
The Faculty - B+
Planet Terror - B
Once Upon A Time In Mexico - B-
Spy Kids - C
Spy Kids 3D - C-
Spy Kids II - F

QT

Pulp Fiction - A+ (Best film of all time)
Death Proof - A
Kill Bill Volume II - A
Kill Bill Voume I - A
Reservoir Dogs - A
Jackie Brown (I've only seen about 40mins, it was awsome)

Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:46 pm
Where will you be?

Because I never felt the need to voice my thoughts about the film for some reason. I liked Death Proof more than either Kill Bill film. And I have my doubts that Planet Terror is something I'll enjoy more then once. My friend and I walked out when I tried to see it again, my suggestion just as much as him.

Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next