Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Be Kind Rewind 

What grade would you give this film?
A 47%  47%  [ 8 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
C 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17

Be Kind Rewind 

Post Be Kind Rewind
Be Kind Rewind

Quote:
Be Kind Rewind is a 2008 American comedy film from New Line Cinema, written and directed by Michel Gondry and starring Jack Black, Mos Def, Melonie Diaz, Danny Glover and Mia Farrow. The film first appeared on January 20, 2008 at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival. It was later shown at the Berlin International Film Festival. The film opened on February 22, 2008 in the United Kingdom and in North America.

The title is inspired by a phrase commonly displayed on VHS rental tapes during the medium's heyday.

Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

Post Re: Be Kind, Rewind
my anticipation has been SOOO HIGH for this, and the reviews so far, while not bad, have been quite disappointing. It looks like he didn't take full advantage of the incredible gimmick.

Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:33 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

My revulsion towards seeing this film has been almost physical since I first saw the trailer - - perhaps it will be a good movie, but my expectations are downstairs right now, digging a hole in the sub-basement - - and this from a big fan of Gondry's last film Science of Sleep.

I have no plans to see this.

Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:37 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

A very mixed bag this one.

The first 20/25 minutes dragged badly, playing out like a bunch of bad Jack Black improv out-takes and Mos Def in full on unintelligible mode. Once the mock films arrived however the film picked up some steam, in particular their own version of Rush Hour 2.

It does take a turn into sappy town near the end and you get the feeling that they really ran out of ideas by the finish.

I guess most people will be going to see this based off the trailer and the shorts on youtube and when those sections are on screen this film really delivers, however outside of that it comes up short.

Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:59 pm
He didn't look busy?!

"Be Kind Rewind" is a movie by people who love movies, for people who love movies.

Don't let the slow and trés bizarre opening twenty minutes or so fool you. I myself wasn't sure what was going on at the beginning, although it did supply a good amount of laughs. However, this segment is neither as good or funny as the rest of the movie. The real fun - and greatness - of this film begins when the two hilarious central characters (Jack Black & Mos Def) start "remaking" movies, both old and new, in order to save the business. The setup is kinda stupid, but it's a setup for an absolutely hilarious and, both ultimately and surprisingly, very touching movie about community and how difficult it really is to make a movie. Not to mention, the actual bits where they show these made-for-5-bucks shorts are some of the funniest parts of the movie (my favorite moment: when they are doing "Ghostbusters," and try to give off the effect of a ghost going through a wall). Jack Black and Mos Def are a hilarious combo, the plot is quite unrealistic but still very entertaining, and it ultimately reminds the viewer of why he or she loves movies, and how when people get along, there can be amazing results (although this is really only portrayed towards the end). If you consider yourself a film lover, I suggest you see this as soon as possible, because it's a comedy that goes for more than just laughs, and succeeds.

A-

Last edited by billybobwashere on Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:26 am
Profile WWW
Motherfuckin' sexual

I've seen this premise on "The Amanda Show" when I was probably ten years old. Who the hell would want to see this movie?

Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:27 am
Profile YIM WWW
He didn't look busy?!

Diesel wrote:
I've seen this premise on "The Amanda Show" when I was probably ten years old. Who the hell would want to see this movie?
yeah, uhh, Michael Gondry >>>>>>>>>> Nickalodeon in basically every way.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:28 am
Profile WWW
The Fullmetal Alchemist

There really needed to be more of the actual shorts in the film, rather than just a website plug during the credits. Gondry seems to have gotten into a groove of sorts, and he's basically copying himself at this point. For someone who's seen all his movies, most of his shorts, and the vast majority of his music videos, I'm seeing nothing new here. It's also incredibly American-feeling for a French director.
On the upside, Jack Black is great, though he was featured less and less as the show went on. And Mos Def could jump into more mainstream stuff because he's really good as well. I actually think the funniest bit is Jack Black getting magnetized to things as he walks down the street.
I think another collaboration with Charlie Kaufman is needed, because he and Gondry can make magic together.

Gake no ue no Ponyo
Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea

Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:30 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

One of the best comedies I have seen in a long time. I laughed so hard when I saw this.

A+ (#1 of the year so far)

Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:06 pm
Profile WWW
What would Jesus *not* do?

The first twenty minutes are slow, awkward, unfunny, and had me really worried we were heading into something much worse that Gondry's last film the Science of Sleep. But once they started 'Swedeing,' the film changed gears and turned into a delightful comedy and the power of film to bring a community together.

Jack Black is really starting to annoy me though as he's becoming a one trick pony while Mos Def (Dante Smith) is really starting to break out and has the ability to cross over into more mainstream films if given a serious chance. I'll agree with the others though in that Gondry really needs to re-team with Charlie Kaufman in order to regain that spark he once had.

Grade B

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:21 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought this was excellent, actually. And this is coming from someone who finds the majority of Gondry's work overrated (even Eternal Sunshine). It was equally hilarious and heartfelt, and the end was surprisingly moving as well. It was well-acted by pretty much everyone and the direction was wonderful. Just a great time at the movies. A-

Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:06 pm
Profile YIM
King Albert!

A-/B+

Very Funny, but would have been better if a few plot devices got fixed.

Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:54 pm
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

I pretty much agree with everyone that the film takes a while to get started, but it goes pretty well once they start replacing the movies. Not amazingly well thanks to Black's character (Not Black himself, his character is just too obnoxious to handle), but well enough. It's pretty sappy and by-the-numbers throughout when it comes to the underdog/feel-good picture, but it has enough original whimsy to move along.

The best part of the movie though is easily its final scene. When they reveal the reverse projection to outside, and crowd, I seriously and unexpectedly got all :tears: . It really is a perfectly executed bit of movie magic. That seriously elevated the movie from passable feel-good fun to something kinda special. But yeah, I liked it.

***/****

Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:10 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

It was sometimes amusing, but overall, kinda average. It's not that funny (outside of the Rush Hour 2 video, which is hilarious), it drags a bit, and it didn't really do anything for me, even at the end.

Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:54 am
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

B+

sluggish start but the movie turned out quite good.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:09 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Painful. I'm not sure how I made it to the end.

Oh, I remember. Because that 2-minute montage in the middle was really funny and really well-edited and I kept hoping that energy would reappear. It didn't.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:03 pm
Superman: The Movie

I loved this movie, slow start and all. And yes, I'm fully willing to admit that it's somewhat sappy, but I have to admit that it worked on me, especially the final scene. I had a similar reaction to the one Jon had at the ending. And you know what, the more I think about what Gondry did with overall ending (in terms of what happens to the store) the more I like it. I was sort of mad at first that Gondry didn't give us a concrete answer as to what happens, but the more I think about the scene the more I think it's concrete and I have to give Gondry credit for going down that road.

Before the ending I thought the film was already very good, despite as I already mentioned, that slow start. The film does pick up though once Black gets zapped. I enjoyed the film parodies and thought they were very funny (one or two more would've been nice). I especially enjoyed the long take Gondry has when they're all outside shooting one film after another, something like six films at one time. Actually, aside from one scene with Jack Black in blackface which I found to be oddly placed, I can't remember anything I didn't like.

The ending elevates the film for me though, easily.

If I were thinking about this in a critical mindset, I'd probably give it ***½. The filmlover in me though has to bump it up one more grade.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:54 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I'd give it something like a B/B-. It's cute, but nothing that special.

Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:49 am
invading your spaces

A-/B+

Aside from the Jack Black electrocution scene and the magnetic pee scene it was pretty good. Had a good message.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:08 am
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

Jmart007 wrote:
I loved this movie, slow start and all. And yes, I'm fully willing to admit that it's somewhat sappy, but I have to admit that it worked on me, especially the final scene. I had a similar reaction to the one Jon had at the ending. And you know what, the more I think about what Gondry did with overall ending (in terms of what happens to the store) the more I like it. I was sort of mad at first that Gondry didn't give us a concrete answer as to what happens, but the more I think about the scene the more I think it's concrete and I have to give Gondry credit for going down that road.

Before the ending I thought the film was already very good, despite as I already mentioned, that slow start. The film does pick up though once Black gets zapped. I enjoyed the film parodies and thought they were very funny (one or two more would've been nice). I especially enjoyed the long take Gondry has when they're all outside shooting one film after another, something like six films at one time. Actually, aside from one scene with Jack Black in blackface which I found to be oddly placed, I can't remember anything I didn't like.

The ending elevates the film for me though, easily.

If I were thinking about this in a critical mindset, I'd probably give it ***½. The filmlover in me though has to bump it up one more grade.

I loved loved loved this movie. I absolutely adored it. Its simply a love note to people that love movies! The overall "gimmick" for the movie, about "sweded" movies was really just a side note to the actual heart of the film! I have heard the movie got sappy at the end for some people... I disagree completely. The whole movie played in the hyper real fantasy world where the romance of movie watching and making movies lives! The movie was imperfect inspite of itself... almost in the same way that the "sweded" movies were imperfect... it really doesn't matter as long as the heart of the film is there. And that is exactly where Gondry was with this movie. Its about not just the love of movies... but the entire process. And the movie really wasn't funny... and I think that it was billed as a comedy... It really is not a comedy. There are a couple moments where you chuckle at Black... but its not the point of the film. Its just a fun movie about movies and the people that love them.

As a bonus I watched Gondrys little documentary on the street where they filmed the movie. After watching this I fell even in MORE love with the film. Gondry basically cast the entire town in the movie. It was beautiful to see this little run down community come together for this little project. If you for one second question Gondry and where his heart was with this project all you need to see is that he stayed true to the concept of the script. In the movie a whole town comes together to make movies and watch themselves in them. Well.... actually... that is kind of what happened!!!! AWESOME!!!! One of the best movies I have seen in years!!! :shout: :clap: :clap2: :cheer:

Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:45 am
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

Such an awesome movie. It had heart, and it was very funny. It was one of the most akward films I've ever seen, but at the same time it was just simply amazing to watch.

A-

Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:24 am
ef star star kay

A weak (and stupid) start followed by a second third of bizarre, original, unpredictable and sometime very funny. I didn't hate Jack Black as I was expecting to. He's alright as well as the rest of the casts. I loved the ending scene. It felt forced but still charming, and oddly touching in its own way. But despite all of that, I didn't left the film with much of impression. Liked it, but didn't totally love it.

B

Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:23 am
loyalfromlondon

It's basically a third of a good movie; that third being the middle portion, of course, with some rather ingenious montages of 'sweding'. Unfortunately, it's sandwiched between an awkward, offensive, unfunny start and a trite, sappy, and downright boring end. Why Gondry decided to play it safe and go the predictable, heartwarming route is beyond me, but it makes this rather ingenious idea into a bland, dull movie. Could they have picked a more uninteresting genre for their movie than a musical biopic? Seriously.

It's not a movie for people who love movies, it's a movie for people who watch the film montages at the Oscars and think they're getting cultured. Totally misses the point of cinema. Blah.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:21 am
Devil's Advocate

Dull and forgettable

2/5

Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:31 am
The Lubitsch Touch

trixster wrote:
It's basically a third of a good movie; that third being the middle portion, of course, with some rather ingenious montages of 'sweding'. Unfortunately, it's sandwiched between an awkward, offensive, unfunny start and a trite, sappy, and downright boring end. Why Gondry decided to play it safe and go the predictable, heartwarming route is beyond me, but it makes this rather ingenious idea into a bland, dull movie. Could they have picked a more uninteresting genre for their movie than a musical biopic? Seriously.

It's not a movie for people who love movies, it's a movie for people who watch the film montages at the Oscars and think they're getting cultured. Totally misses the point of cinema. Blah.

:yes: :yes: :yes:

Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]