Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Papurika [Paprika] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Papurika [Paprika] 

Post Papurika [Paprika]
Paprika

Quote:
Paprika (パプリカ Papurika) is a Japanese animated science fiction film, based on Yasutaka Tsutsui's 1993 novel of the same name, about a research psychologist who uses a device that permits therapists to help patients by entering their dreams.

The film was directed by Satoshi Kon, animated by Madhouse Studios, and produced and distributed by Sony Pictures Entertainment. The film's music was composed by Susumu Hirasawa, who also composed the soundtrack for Kon's award-winning film, Millennium Actress, and equally lauded television series, Paranoia Agent.

Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:23 am
Profile WWW
Kypade

Having seen three of the four animated films by Satoshi Kon within the past month or two, I can officially say I love this man. His films are fascinating, imaginative and just straight up brilliant in many ways. Paprika isn't at all different. It is well made, engaging, beautiful, discomforting and even confusing, but most importantly the most fun of any film of the year so far.

In the world of Paprika, an obese genius has invented a machine that lets you see into the dreams of whoever wears it. I think the point was for psychiatrists to help treat people, but am not sure. In any case, the machine is stolen and because it was still incomplete, whoever had it could use it to control people's dreams, and eventually, reality. Or something like that. The point is, the world is in grave danger, unless the beautiful and brilliant Chiba Atsuko along with the old scientist Osanai and the cop Shima, can find out who stole the machine and stop them.

And that's basically what the film is. A mystery and a race against the clock to get back what was stolen and save the world. Kon blurs the lines between the dream-world and the real world so much that even though you know Chiba is the "real" person and Paprika the "dream" version, you're always a step behind and never entirely sure who is headed where and when. Real characters enter dream land and, apparently, vice versa so often that you can't tell if the transitions from one to another are as they seem or just another layer to the dream or if, maybe, dream and reality are one and the same. And, oh, what a dream it is. This film is wildly imaginative. It's Gondry meets the Matrix. The characters, events, twists and turns of the dream world, or even real world, are unlike any film I've seen. It had me on the edge of the seat from start to finish.

Satoshi Kon is a great director, but more than just that, he knows how to work an audience. He can make me squirm in my seat with my heart racing, as much of Perfect Blue did, or make me feel sad and worried for his characters' fates as in Millennium Actress. Here he does all of the above. At times the film is frightening and creepy. At other times it's sad and touching. It can be hilarious or sweet. But whatever it is at a given moment, it clearly comes when and how Kon wants it to.

Like both Millennium Actress and Perfect Blue, this film deals with young heroic women, the power of movies, the trouble of the internet (and technology in general), mysteries, love and death, duality and any other number of themes and motifs Kon is interested in. Also like both of those movies, it's so much more than the sum of those miscellaneous parts. It's visually beautiful and entrancing, emotionally and viscerally involving and it's the best movie of the year

Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:59 pm
Extraordinary

This isn't a little mental making out... this isn't even serious intellectual lovemaking -- nope -- this is an all-out, down 'n' dirty, inhibition-shedding, fantasy-dream mind fuck of a movie...

Don't really wanna say much, cause this is one to go experience for yourself, but suffice to say that this is storytelling and animation art stretching together to achieve the limits of imagination.

Paprika is the spice...

15 out of 5. (Unqualified)

:noway:

Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:34 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Paprika
Beautiful, beautiful film. I didn't think I would overly enjoy it, but I did very, very much. The score is amazing and was one of the brightest highlights for me.

A

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Last edited by Corpse on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:58 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Corpse wrote:
Beautiful, beautiful film. I didn't think I would overly enjoy it, but I did very, very much. It's my favorite animated film of 2007, and my favorite since Corpse Bride. It would rank in my Top 10 Animated films, and that's saying ALOT since 3/4 of the Disney Classics occupy my lists. The score is amazing and was one of the brightest highlights for me.

A

Glad that someone else finally saw this, and more importantly, liked it. It's my #6 of 2007.

Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:27 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

s snack wrote:
Corpse wrote:
Beautiful, beautiful film. I didn't think I would overly enjoy it, but I did very, very much. It's my favorite animated film of 2007, and my favorite since Corpse Bride. It would rank in my Top 10 Animated films, and that's saying ALOT since 3/4 of the Disney Classics occupy my lists. The score is amazing and was one of the brightest highlights for me.

A

Glad that someone else finally saw this, and more importantly, liked it. It's my #6 of 2007.

It's my No. 2 so far, but I'm always late on seeing movies since there are no big theatres near me, just an independent single screen. So it could very well fall in the coming weeks/months. But it shouldn't be bumped out of my Top 5.

The really enjoyed the music. If you did also, the main theme is called "The Girl In Byakkoya" by Susumu Hirasawa if you want to download it or something. Or maybe you already have the soundtrack, which I'll be on the lookout for now. The only thing that I didn't quite like was who the baddie turned out to be. Just minutes before they revealed it, I told myself I hope it wasnt him since it seemed too predictable. But oh well, not enough to bother me.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:35 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Thanks. I'll check it out. Right now I have "Meditation Field" from the soundtrack by Susumu Hirasawa, which is great.

Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:50 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

A boring mess of a film that think's acting all over the place is intelligent.. I'd rather watch Bleach for good japanse anime entertainment.

Sorry S Snack I didn't like this :(

Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:56 pm
Teenage Dream

I was completely blown away by how emotionally heavy this got in the final act. Sure, there was a lot of interesting theology and science floating around throughout the movie, but I felt sort of disconnected from it all. I really got hooked into the narrative once it's revealed who the actual mastermind is, as I think that is when it starts to develop a tangible weight as a film. The images are consistently beautiful and grotesque, often at the same time. The scene where the Chairman merges with his sidekick/helper/love and entangles Paprika/Atsuko with those tree-like roots is absolutely stunning. The way the detective forces his way through the movie screen... :zonks: . That was another thing I loved, actually - the idea of movies playing such a large part in both our conscious and subconscious minds... how the Detective wanted to be a filmmaker, so his dreams are aesthetically structured like classic serial films. And like I said, the emotional gravitas the movie ascends to is pretty remarkable, particularly the scene where Atsuko essentially admits her love for Tokita, albeit in a dream state.

This is a great film.

Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:23 am
Extraordinary

One of the few anime films I have seen that I really liked. Thumbs up! :thumbsup:

Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:17 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

i still lov this movie

Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:52 pm
Forum General

I watched Perfect Blue a couple weeks ago, and it was really good.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:54 pm
Extraordinary

netflix'd

you better be right jiffy or I'll kill box until he's dead

Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:03 pm
Forum General

Oh, and Millennium Actress is great, too, so I should see this.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:03 pm
Extraordinary

Magnus Lightyear wrote:
I have this in my Netflix...only because of Inception. Probably will check it out before I see that so I can see what Nolan stole from it.

What's the scoop on the Paprika / Inception connection?

Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:05 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Dreams

Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:11 am
Profile WWW

It's a little over packed and convoluted, but still brilliant. Kon combines wonderful animation with powerful themes and likable well wrought characters. It's both enjoyable and a mental exercise, not to mention emotionally weighted in the finale. A wonderful film overall.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:53 pm
Extraordinary

nevermind, this movie sucks

Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:04 pm
Us v Them

:funny:

Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:33 am
ef star star kay

it's avatar/pocahontas all over again, isnt it?

i should see this before that exception film

Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:09 pm
Us v Them

JURiNG wrote:
it's avatar/pocahontas all over again, isnt it?

i should see this before that exception film

watch paprika !!!!!!

Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:43 pm
ef star star kay

so, i watched inception before this

but will do for sure, groany

maybe, right after the exam.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:25 pm
Us v Them

ok - what exam?

btw thanks for reminding me that i have to watch this again!

Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]