Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 The Last Mimzy 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

The Last Mimzy 

Post The Last Mimzy
The Last Mimzy

Quote:
The Last Mimzy is a 2007 science fiction family film directed by Bob Shaye and loosely adapted from the acclaimed 1943 science fiction short story "Mimsy Were the Borogoves" by Lewis Padgett (the pseudonym of husband and wife team Henry Kuttner and C. L. Moore). The Last Mimzy centers on two children, Noah (Chris O'Neil) and Emma (Rhiannon Leigh Wryn) Wilder, who develop preternatural powers when they encounter a mysterious box containing strange devices, presumed to be toys.

Last edited by Nebs on Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:10 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

One thing about The Last Mimzy depresses me, it is easily the best family film of 2007 so far (and will most likely stay that way by the end of the year) and it is way under seen because of lame marketing and too much competition. With that being said, I loved this film. While the first fifteen minutes were a tad on the rocky side, it quickly picked up and turned into a wonderful, magical, intense adventure. There were times I was on the edge of my seat. The last forty-five minutes of this are great and the finale is fantastic. I can't recommend this movie enough. Very underrated! I hope someone else will see it here. I can't see anyone not enjoying it.

9/10 (A-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:32 am
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

I wish somebody else would see this fantastic film. :(

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:20 am
Profile YIM WWW
Commander and Chef

There is a review up for it on the main website. you may be interested in reading it

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:23 am
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

Hi movie35

There is a review up for it on the main website. you may be interested in reading it

just read it and it was going ok until his last line, he seemed to forget about the Bridge to Terabithia as the family movie of the year.

Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:45 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Caught The Last Mimzy today -- and what can I say?

I'm a downright sucker for this hopeful brand of sci-fi movie, especially with the mystery as well-crafted and as patiently revealed as in this one.

I only read one review before seeing it - a one line blurb that described it as "Donnie Darko for the under-ten set" -- that was enough for me (well, and also the fact that the soundtrack featured the first new track from Roger Waters in a decade (as underwhelming as it may have been).

It is a splendid fantasy woven of philosophy and science as seen through the eyes of a sister and brother who could envision a bridge to the future.

Really nicely done, and deserves a wider audience than it has yet received. It is at least as inspiring as Bridge to Terabithia without resorting to heart-stoppingly unexpected tragedy to hit it's target.

7 out of 5.

Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:50 am
Commander and Chef

Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:26 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

bradley's back!!!!

Nice to be missed.

:happy:

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:59 am
ef star star kay

JaWS mCbunty wrote:
bradley's back!!!!

Nice to be missed.

:happy:

Have you seen 300

I'm sure I've seen your review yet :smile:

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:04 pm
Iron Man

This movie seemed like a bunch of nice special effects shots strung together. The "aliens" was a cheap shot or my grade would have been a bit higher. C-

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:22 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Well, this is certainly a unique (and weird) family movie and not what you'd expect from one. I give it props for its originality. Yet in the end it almost feels like it's trying to brainwash viewers, but it didn't outrage me as much as it does some people, especially since I don't believe in God anyway and if countless family movies have no problem sticking religious propaganda in their movies then it's only right that others be free to show a different viewpoint. I enjoyed the movie for what it was and wasn't bothered by its different themes and ideas.

The only real problem is that while it's interesting, it's not engrossing or involving enough to make it anything more than solid. I'd never want to watch it again. But it's very well-done and certainly worth a look.

Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:50 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Incredibly original and well-made, with strong performances across the board. It is very unique for a family film and creates an interesting storyline that builds to a satisfying conclusion. Underrated and definitely recommended.

B+

Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:28 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

The Last Mimzy carries an original premise and approach for a family flick (yeah I know, it is based on a short story) which is decently executed. I liked many elements of it. The whole idea behind sending the toy back in time, the children being endowed with special powers, but the movie is illogical on so many levels that even I can't be THAT lenient to look past them. The main problem here is the same as in almost all films featuring time travel. It creates gaping plot holes and many many things simply stop making sense.

Moreover, that little girl was truly annoying. I don't know whether that was her character or her acting, but she got on my nerves in almost any scene she was in and that's quite an issue considering she is more or less the main character. Chris O'Neil who plays her brother was pretty decent in the role, though. I know it's hard to be tough on inexperienced child actors, but I have seen girls and boys of her age doing much better jobs, so no excuse there. The rant aside, it's a nice and cute family flick that touches upon some adult topics too such as genetic engineering, nanotechnology and worm holes. Of course it has to remind itself all the time that it is still a movie for children afterall, so it never really delves deep into these themes, but it was nice to see some interesting ideas there. I also thought that the visual effects were surprisingly good for a seemingly small family film like this one.

The cast was alright, except for the aforementioned little girl. I thought that Rainn Wilson's character as well as his esoteric girlfriend were a bit out of place and random. It also seemed as a bit too much of a coincidence that they knew everything about the Mandala symbol and its meaning, but that's an aspect I can live with. It's a fairly entertaining movie and better than the average child fare (seen some of that recently), but it's not as memorable or "special" as it strives to be.

Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]