Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Wild Hogs 

What grade would you give this film?
A 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 8 ]
C 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
D 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 16

Wild Hogs 
King Albert!

This was a funny movie. I don't care what the critics say, I had fun.

Grade: B+

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:56 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

It's human nature to prejudge. Especially with all the trailers and clips that are released these days it's expected.

Exactly. And like I need to see this movie to know that it would suck. I hate moronic slapstick comedy and eye-roll inducing gross-out humor (like the bird crap). Gee, maybe this could actually be a smart Oscar-caliber comedy and I should see it so I know if it is or not :roll:. I really don't think it's needed in this case.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:51 am
Wallflower

and while I could have done without the gay humor (I am conscious that some won't "get it" or might take it the wrong way and think that homophobia is acceptable - it isn't), I don't find it very offensive at all.

Well that is what always bothers me with gay humor in movies. I would be able to relax and not take it so seriously if I thought many people seeing the movie wouldn't take it the wrong way. But because of those less intelligent moviegoers out there (most of which will be seeing this movie) it angers me. I don't want them to think it's ok and even cool to be homophobic because the characters played by big stars in a big Hollywood movie are. It's just in poor taste and way too prevalent in mainstream comedies these days. I thought Norbit was offensive too, but to overweight people, and of course people with a brain that they use. I could have forgiven the movie had it actually been funny, but it was painfully unfunny.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:59 am
Where will you be?

zennier wrote:
and while I could have done without the gay humor (I am conscious that some won't "get it" or might take it the wrong way and think that homophobia is acceptable - it isn't), I don't find it very offensive at all.

Well that is what always bothers me with gay humor in movies. I would be able to relax and not take it so seriously if I thought many people seeing the movie wouldn't take it the wrong way. But because of those less intelligent moviegoers out there (most of which will be seeing this movie) it angers me. I don't want them to think it's ok and even cool to be homophobic because the characters played by big stars in a big Hollywood movie are. It's just in poor taste and way too prevalent in mainstream comedies these days. I thought Norbit was offensive too, but to overweight people, and of course people with a brain that they use. I could have forgiven the movie had it actually been funny, but it was painfully unfunny.

Mike's posts make my brain cry. :(

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:14 am
Orphan

Mike wrote:
Thank you Joe for mentioning that. I've read in countless professional reviews how homophobic the film is and nobody else seems to be mentioning this. And coming from you of all people it's really saying something since, unless I'm mistaken, I believe you're kind of homophobic yourself. So if someone who is actually homophobic found it to be so then it has to be true.
There's a backhanded compliment if I've ever read one.

I thought the same thing :smile:

Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:36 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Just saw it, very entertaining, the beginning actually starts off a little slow I thought. And man, Tim Allen's makeup job was awful in my opinion. He looked over 60. People complain about Harrison Ford in Firewall.

All of the leads were funny I thought, and I cracked up from Travolta. Its not so much that he was being homophobic in my opinion. I think most people would react that way if a guy was sniffing your neck, rubbing up onyou when dancing, and spooning in the forrest.

Most of the jokes worked, and I actually liked the end fight, and the extreme makeover at the end while silly worked.

B+ I've seen worst films make more money.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:50 pm
Wallflower

I guess it's cool to make fun of gays but only if it's in a gay film.

Who said that? I didn't. But yeah, if for example you were going to use the "f" (not fuck) word in a movie, it wouldn't be as bad if it were a gay film with a gay character saying it versus someone in a mainstream comedy that several people were seeing. Just like how in movies aimed at black people the "n" word is usually said quite a bit. It seems to be ok for someone who is black to say that and ok for someone who is gay to say the "f" word. I still wouldn't but obviously it's not as offensive when it's by someone who actually is gay and is saying it playfully. Plus Wild Hogs is one of those comedies that families will actually go see (like Big Momma's House 2 or Norbit) and it sends the wrong message to younger audience members.

Besides, I'm not against making fun of gays when it's in a playful manner and not mean-spirited. Gays are poked fun at in mainstream movies all of the time, like Scary Movie and Scary Movie 2, The Hot Chick, or even The Break-Up, and I'm fine with it and it's often funny even. But I am against them being made fun of in a disgusted way, like in Wild Hogs, Eurotrip, etc... They aren't playful jabs. They take negative stereotypes and overplay them, making homosexuals look even more ridiculous and over-the-top, and often predatory. It just reinforces the opinions many already have about them and fuels the use of words such as "faggot" as the ultimate put-down word.

Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:59 am
Superman: The Movie

Besides, I'm not against making fun of gays when it's in a playful manner and not mean-spirited. Gays are poked fun at in mainstream movies all of the time, like Scary Movie and Scary Movie 2, The Hot Chick, or even The Break-Up, and I'm fine with it and it's often funny even. But I am against them being made fun of in a disgusted way, like in Wild Hogs, Eurotrip, etc... They aren't playful jabs. They take negative stereotypes and overplay them, making homosexuals look even more ridiculous and over-the-top, and often predatory. It just reinforces the opinions many already have about them and fuels the use of words such as "faggot" as the ultimate put-down word.

So you have no problem with a guy getting a cock through the ear in a gloryhole in Scary Movie 2, but you have a problem with the marco polo playing biker cop from Wild Hogs?

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:24 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:35 am
Commander and Chef

MG Casey wrote:
Snickety Snack 2 wrote:
I'm also a kooky, gay liberal, and I'm not particularly offended by the supposed "homophobia," I'm just disgusted by America's readiness to see this piece of crap. 39 mil opening weekend is disturbing.

Huh, you're right, people shouldn't go see the first real funny film in like, forever.

Yeah, because a guy getting hit in the face with bird crap is the height of hilarity :|

nope. its not.

but if its followed by the guy getting hit by a said bird, its hilarious.

Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:51 am
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

This was a good time at the movies. Relatively forgettable, but enjoyable. Better than 300.

**.5/****

Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

This was a good time at the movies. Relatively forgettable, but enjoyable. Better than 300.

**.5/****

I think I just split my sides.

Man, you are HILARIOUS!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:56 pm
Begging Naked

Awards Czar Jon wrote:

**.5/****

I think I just split my sides.

Man, you are HILARIOUS!

Comedy DOES frequently spring from truth. :smile:

Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:59 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Broken my "No Martin Lawrence" rule seeing this (mainly because I forgot he was in it). Pretty standard family fare, i.e. as dull as a rich tea biscuit, adequate but you want more.

Noticed a few people here complaining about some sort of homophobic aspect to the film, personally I think you'd need a head exam to come to that conclusion, plenty of gays jokes but most of them felt like bad Birdcage cast-off's (bar them waking up with John C McGinley looking at them which was pretty funny). The rest was very hit and miss, plus Marisa Tomei's character was completely pointless and her jumping on William H Macy made no sense. But hey its a family movie logic isn't needed very often.

C

Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:08 pm
Top Poster

Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:57 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

Joe wrote:
MG Casey wrote:
Snickety Snack 2 wrote:
I'm also a kooky, gay liberal, and I'm not particularly offended by the supposed "homophobia," I'm just disgusted by America's readiness to see this piece of crap. 39 mil opening weekend is disturbing.

Huh, you're right, people shouldn't go see the first real funny film in like, forever.

Yeah, because a guy getting hit in the face with bird crap is the height of hilarity :|

nope. its not.

but if its followed by the guy getting hit by a said bird, its hilarious.

:lol: :smile:

Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:21 am
Devil's Advocate

Definition of a time-passer. I didn't really laugh as much as I wanted to, to be honest... typical gay, poop, and nut-sacking jokes, yada yada yada... The pond scene and the bar blowing up was decent, but overall the movie was kind of a waste.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:44 am
You must have big rats

I thought it was an above-average time-passer and an occasionally very funny comedy flick. John C. McGinley and William H. Macy are the ones who deliver the most laughs here, whereas Martin Lawrence is completely underused and unfunny here. The whole cast ensemble is decent, but given the amount of comedy stars here, the potential was bigger than what we got. Then again, I guess it's the best you'd get from a Disney comedy.

The first half of the film is very funny, but once they blow up the bar, it stars going downwards. Marisa Tomei's character is completely useless here and whoever thinks she'd hook up with William H. Macy just like that must be reading too much science-fiction. Ray Liotta's appearance is rather dull too, but I loved the cameo by Peter Fonda.

Overall, I was never bored and I laughed more than just once or twice, so that's already better than I expected for a film like this. I have seen many much funnier comedies in recent years, but I can see why this one is so popular. It's a very easily digestable stuff for the whole family here.

Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
Artie the One-Man Party

Post Re: Wild Hogs
Watched again on Starz today. It kept me entertained again, no matter how low-brow it gets or how bad some acting can get (did the once-great Ray Liotta ever miss an opportunity TO SCREAM HIS LINES!?!??) I love those four actors together too much to pay attention to details such as good direction or plot holes or pointless characters; it was just fun to watch, and that's all it set out to do.

B

Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:17 pm
On autopilot for the summer

french man wrote:
Watched again on Starz today. It kept me entertained again, no matter how low-brow it gets or how bad some acting can get (did the once-great Ray Liotta ever miss an opportunity TO SCREAM HIS LINES!?!??) I love those four actors together too much to pay attention to details such as good direction or plot holes or pointless characters; it was just fun to watch, and that's all it set out to do.

B

I watch in Starz all the time now, I think the movie is very hysterical at times and the cast has really good chemistry together, and everyone looks to be having fun. Ray Liotta I love as the villain, he's so Ray Liotta in it by adding chessiness, I just crack up at him. I'll definitely check out a sequel. Easily my guiltiest pleasure of 07, but thats only because the plot is simple, but the jokes keep flying Solid B+ still.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:44 am
Begging Naked

My rating has dropped to ** in the last year, but this is still better than 300.

Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:13 am
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

D-. The only comedy of '07 I can think of which was worse than this was Norbit. There were honestly like 3 funny parts in the whole movie. And I saw wayyy too much of the main actors if ya know what i mean.

Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:46 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

A very fun film with a superb star cast.

A-

Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2