Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 6:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 The Elephant Man 

What grade would you give this film?
A 85%  85%  [ 11 ]
B 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

The Elephant Man 
College Boy Z

Post The Elephant Man
The Elephant Man

Quote:
The Elephant Man is a 1980 American drama film based on the true story of Joseph Merrick (called John Merrick in the film), a severely deformed man in 19th century London. The film was directed by David Lynch and stars John Hurt, Anthony Hopkins, Anne Bancroft, John Gielgud, Wendy Hiller, Michael Elphick, Hannah Gordon, and Freddie Jones.

The screenplay was adapted by Lynch, Christopher De Vore, and Eric Bergren from the books The Elephant Man and Other Reminiscences (1923) by Sir Frederick Treves and The Elephant Man: A Study in Human Dignity by Ashley Montagu. It was shot in black-and-white.

The Elephant Man was a critical and commercial success, and received eight Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture in 1981.

Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:52 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Haunting, beautiful, heartbreaking film, one of those special few that made me cry like a baby. Absolutely timeless, due, in no small part, to the stunning black and white cinematography. Contains my personal favorite Anthony Hopkins performance, largely unheralded though it may be.

Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:59 am
The Original

Some stuff maybe dont fit our time and look perhaps strange for the younger generation. But that doesnt change the fact that this movie is one of the most deeply moving movies i have ever seen. The poor guy and how the people deal with him ...its so sad. As yoshue said the cinematography is outstanding and really drops you back in time.
I give a 10/10. You should see absolutely this movie and if it doesnt touch you in anyway..meh you have a little lack of emotions I think. [-X

Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:11 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

A true classic and an extremely depressing movie. The black and white style only adds towards the movie. Its a movie that you makes you ponder how great your life really is

A
9.1/10

Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:35 pm
loyalfromlondon

I didn't cry, but I came close. John Hurt is incredible here, and Hopkins is just as good. The makeup effects are fantastic, and Lynch never sacrifices his style for the sake of the audience (just take the opening montage of the elephants - beautifully weird), but this is a archetypal tortured monster film done perfectly. The story itself is a bit lacking, but everything else is terrific. The black and white suits it perfectly, and the music is hauntingly original. Also, I'm glad it ended how it did, and not with an angry mob burning down a windmill. Very, very sad, and somewhat frightening, but definitely deserving of a look.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:46 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Elephant Man (1980)
The first half an hour or so are absolutely, mindblowingly brilliant film making. It's great otherwise, but that first portion, when we're still somewhat frightened of John, is some of the best stuff I've ever seen.
A-

Sun May 25, 2008 2:00 pm