Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forrest Gump 

What grade would you give this film?
A 64%  64%  [ 18 ]
B 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 28

Forrest Gump 
Dont Mess with the Gez

This is the firsy film I saw more than once in a theatre. Absolutely love this film and Im yet to rewatch it after seeing it twice in 1994 (when I was also studying 20th Century History).

So I think i'll watch this in a week or so.

Grade: A+

BTW - 1994 was such a damn good year that I also gave an A+ to Shawshank Redemption and Hoop Dreams and an A/A+ for Pulp Fiction.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:15 am
He didn't look busy?!

Post Re: Forrest Gump
An occasionally silly but mostly wonderful movie. One of the better Hanks performances and Zemeckis products. Overrated? Yeah, a bit.

B+

Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:35 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

As retarded as its main character.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:25 pm
Sbil

trixster wrote:

I'm curious, what did your post on the first page that you just edited tonight say?

Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:33 pm
loyalfromlondon

Libs wrote:
trixster wrote:

I'm curious, what did your post on the first page that you just edited tonight say?

Something not nearly snobbish enough.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:36 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

It said "the only way this movie could have been better is if it ended with a shameless extended close up of Jenny being euthanized, Marley-style."

Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:36 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

You don't need to apologize for three-year-old posts. As long as you've learned from your mistake.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:38 pm
Sbil

You know what would be snobbier?

If you liked Forrest Gump. It would make you seem snobby for looking down on people who give in to backlashes.

You know I'm right!

Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:42 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Re:
Rorschach wrote:
trixster wrote:
edit

Worst. Edit. Ever.

for serious. no tact.

I, on the other hand, was smart enough never to write a Forest Gump review.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:47 am
loyalfromlondon

snack wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
trixster wrote:
edit

Worst. Edit. Ever.

for serious. no tact.

You totally just agreed with Magnus, though. Which is perhaps even worse.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:51 am
Extraordinary

Rorschach wrote:
trixster wrote:
snack wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
trixster wrote:
edit

Worst. Edit. Ever.

for serious. no tact.

You totally just agreed with Magnus, though. Which is perhaps even worse.

I'm going to have to agree with trix there.

hah! mag just agreed with you!

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:54 am
Teenage Dream

yoshue wrote:
You don't need to apologize for three-year-old posts. As long as you've learned from your mistake.

For real. I've learned to live with my god awful posts of KJ past.

I think the real crime is when you can't tell the difference between someones review of a movie in 2004 and their review of a movie in 2008.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:54 am
Extraordinary

which means now everyone looks stupid...except Mag??? and suddenly this thread became just as preposterous as its subject matter.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:55 am
loyalfromlondon

snack wrote:
which means now everyone looks stupid...except Mag??? and suddenly this thread became just as preposterous as its subject matter.

Then my work here is done.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:56 am
Homo Dperious

Rorschach wrote:
After watching Ben Button, I realize what makes Gump so amazing is the acting.

On paper, Ben Button and Gump are very simliar. But the main difference between why Gump works so well and Button doesn't is the acting. Button has solid acting, Gump has fantastic acting. Everyone from Hanks to Sally Fields does pheonmenal job. The acting creates that emotional connection that Ben Button lacked. I actually cared about the charaecters in Gump; I don't in Ben Button.

Also, Gump is by far a more interesting charaecter than Ben Button. yoshue said in the Ben Button thread that if Ben Button didn't age backwards, would you care? No (and I frankly didn't care that much even though he was aging backwards).

I don't feel that this applies to Gump. Even if Gump wasn't "slow", he's still an interesting charaecter. His experiences and personality are interesting enough even without him being "slow."

Also, while the hospital scenes in Button take away from the film, the bench scenes in Gump only add to the film. A lot of this may have to deal with the fact that its Gump telling the story at the bench while the hospital scene is too focused on Daisy/her daughter and not on Button.

Well, many movies have just as good acting and characters but are not nearly as popular, beloved, or remembered as Gump. I mean, this was not Hank's only great performance.

I'm sure we all have different reasons for liking the movie (or not for the ones who don't :P), but I think that what made the characters and acting memorable was the rest around it. The movie deals with these senses of wonder, curiosity, mystery, and....more. It takes that place it exists in between reality and fantasy and weaves between it so well. I thought it managed to be touching, funny, and imaginative.

8.4/10

Although I have not seen BB, I think, based on other movies with similar structures, the trailer, and what I've heard that even if it would not have been the same without him aging backwards, the point is that that one theme creates the movie. In other words, everything that works in it can be centered around that concept and how they all play on it.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:54 am
Profile ICQ
Homo Dperious

makeshift wrote:
yoshue wrote:

For real. I've learned to live with my god awful posts of KJ past.

I think the real crime is when you can't tell the difference between someones review of a movie in 2004 and their review of a movie in 2008.

If you summed up your thoughts then, why not the same now? You don't need to review for the sake of writing style or to go into more detail about a film.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:00 am
Profile ICQ
Homo Dperious

Libs wrote:
You know what would be snobbier?

If you liked Forrest Gump. It would make you seem snobby for looking down on people who give in to backlashes.

You know I'm right!

I don't get it...

I think snobby is snobby unless it's about right or truth in which case it's not.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:04 am
Profile ICQ
Devil's Advocate

Yeah, the more you become aware of this movie's ultra right tilt, the less cool it becomes. I mean I don't think it was made for political purposes or anything, but as yoshue said in the other thread it's still 3 hours of a guy achieving all the prototypical American goals (getting uber rich, laid, being a national hero, meeting the pres., etc.) basically just by being a total idiot and living in ignorance. I assume that's what the book was satiring and I guess what the movie ironically fell victim too.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:13 am
Homo Dperious

Rorschach wrote:
Shack wrote:
basically just by being a total idiot and living in ignorance

Not true at all. Everything he acheives is because of him being a great person inside, despite his intelligence. He becomes rich because of his love for his friends (both Bubba and Lt. Dan). He buys the shrimping boat in the first place because of the promise he made to Bubba (and as a good friend, he keeps his promise) and Lt. Dan joins him because Forrest saved his life in the war (something he did out of compassion, not by being an idiot). Yeah, things work his way but the point of the movie is to show that good things happen to good people who do try to do good. Gump continually tries to do good, and thus he is rewarded for this. Yeah, that is an idealistic message but that's what makes it so great. It tries to give the viewer hope in this message, and at least for me, it does a fantastic job of providing this hope.

The movies doesn't make that case though because obviously that's not exactly how things will work for anyone. There's no way that anyone gets as lucky as the character in the movie. There's a common theme that good things happen to good people in many films, and this shares it. Is that 'right wing'? I'm sure it could be characterized in different ways. I'd prefer not to characterize Gump as an idiot.

The thing is though that the movie is there to give people things to think about. While it doesn't make it true or not that good things happen to good people.

I mean, either way regardless I would argue that anything worthwhile has truth in it, and truth could be used to determine how things should be.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:51 pm
Profile ICQ
Homo Dperious

I was thinking about it. The idea that good things happen to good people. Good is a social idea and usually based on whatever society one is a part of. However, it would seem right to argue that certain systems, ways of living, ways of thinking, ideas etc are better, should be looked at as such, and should be advocated. Now, which is another topic.

I don't think the movie is about hope. It exists in its own world, and makes no promise to the viewer of any of it. It doesn't say that the characters and their actions are representative of what you are likely to find. The ideas behind it might, but that's something else. The ideas...it is idealistic. But that's the point. It seems to say that this is what this can be worth. This is what a great attitude is worth. This is what looking at everything from different perspectives is worth. In that I think it creates a feeling of better possibility. The difference is that it doesn't try to create any expectation in the audience. It suggests that you can take this as shown if you want.

As to the point...I think that the message is in line with what I think of truth. It doesn't promise that you will have good things happen to you (as can be said with good). But you could decide to work for it because you see it as the reward itself. If true, an idea or philosophy can play some role in learning or somewhere else. If true, it must somehow be possible to be made beneficial. They are the path to building the world in that way. They are worth being loyal to, if truth is sure, because they can become a part of you, and because living with them can form better patterns and ways to live. So, even without knowing that you will get something in return, it can make sense... ;)

Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:17 am
Profile ICQ
Homo Dperious

Rorschach wrote:
Amazingly, I not only understand but agree with what you've just said.

hmmm, so then what do I need to change? :P

hmmm...perspective to POV? ;)

Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:33 pm
Profile ICQ
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Magnus wrote:
Shack wrote:

Not true at all. Everything he acheives is because of him being a great person inside, despite his intelligence. He becomes rich because of his love for his friends (both Bubba and Lt. Dan). He buys the shrimping boat in the first place because of the promise he made to Bubba (and as a good friend, he keeps his promise) and Lt. Dan joins him because Forrest saved his life in the war (something he did out of compassion, not by being an idiot). Yeah, things work his way but the point of the movie is to show that good things happen to good people who do try to do good. Gump continually tries to do good, and thus he is rewarded for this. Yeah, that is an idealistic message but that's what makes it so great. It tries to give the viewer hope in this message, and at least for me, it does a fantastic job of providing this hope.

You summed it up perfectly, this is why I love FG. It presents the idea that being a good person is something we should all aspire to and life will reward you for it.

A+

Ps. this might be the film where I cried the most in. First where Jenny as a child prays in the field so she could turn into a bird and fly away (I almost died from sadness), then when Dan "attacks" Gump for not letting him die, and when Jenny dies in the end and Forrest speaks to her over her grave.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:13 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Waker of Winds wrote:
Magnus wrote:
Shack wrote:

You summed it up perfectly, this is why I love FG. It presents the idea that being a good person is something we should all aspire to and life will reward you for it.

A+

Ps. this might be the film where I cried the most in. First where Jenny as a child prays in the field so she could turn into a bird and fly away (I almost died from sadness), then when Dan "attacks" Gump for not letting him die, and when Jenny dies in the end and Forrest speaks to her over her grave.

Yeah I watched this when I was 16 and felt the same way at those scenes. Absolutely loved the film back then as I was studying 20th Century History and it was fun to see the years roll on.

Magnus - great summation :thumbsup:

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next