Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Meet the Parents 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 8 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

Meet the Parents 
College Boy Z

Post Meet the Parents
Meet the Parents

Quote:
Meet the Parents is a 2000 American comedy film written by Jim Herzfeld and John Hamburg and directed by Jay Roach. Starring Robert De Niro and Ben Stiller, the film chronicles a series of unfortunate events that befall a good-hearted but hapless male nurse while visiting his girlfriend's parents. Teri Polo, Blythe Danner, and Owen Wilson also star.

Meet the Parents is a remake of a 1992 film of the same name directed by Greg Glienna and produced by Jim Vincent. Glienna—who also played the main protagonist—and Mary Ruth Clarke co-wrote the screenplay. Universal Studios purchased the rights to Glienna's film with the intent of creating a new version. Jim Herzfeld expanded the original script but development was halted for some time. Jay Roach read the expanded script and expressed his desire to direct the film but Universal declined him. At that time, Steven Spielberg was interested in directing the film while Jim Carrey was interested in playing the lead role. The studio only offered the film to Roach once Spielberg and Carrey left the project.

Released in the United States and Canada on October 6, 2000 and distributed by Universal Studios, the film earned back its initial budget of $55 million in only eleven days. It went on to become one of the highest grossing films of 2000, earning over $160 million in North America and over $330 million worldwide. Meet the Parents was well received by film critics and viewers alike, winning several awards and earning additional nominations. Ben Stiller won two comedy awards for his performance and the film was chosen as the Favorite Comedy Motion Picture at the 2001 People's Choice Awards. The success of Meet the Parents inspired two film sequels, namely Meet the Fockers and Little Fockers released in 2004 and 2010 respectively. Meet the Parents also inspired a reality television show titled Meet My Folks and a situation comedy titled In-Laws, both of them debuting on NBC in 2002.

Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:31 pm
Hot Fuss

Charming flick, especially the airport scenes towards the end.

light Attendant: Sir, we have a policy on this airline that a bag this large must be...
Greg Focker: [grabs his bag back] You know what, get your grubby little paws OFF my bag, okay? It's not like I have a bomb in here. It's not like I wanna blow up the plane. I just want to store my bag according to your safety regulations.
Flight Attendant: Sir, sir!
Greg Focker: Just take a minute, take those little sticks out of your head, clean out your ears, and you'll see that I'm a person with feelings, and all I wanna do is do what *I* wanna do and not listen to you! And the only way I'd ever let you have my bag is if you pried it from my dead, lifeless fingers, okay? If you can get it from my kung-fu grip then you can have it, okay? Otherwise, step off, bitch.

Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Teh Mexican

B+

Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:44 pm
We had our time together

Average movie. Even tough DeNiro is great in some parts the whole movie isn't. It's not really funny and it just was too much. If I would have been Ben Stiller in this movie I would have left her and never come back. :)

Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:32 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

I almost purchased this movie yesterday, but decided to wait. Now I'm wishing I would have.

Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:35 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

This is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. The airport scene was a classic.

My Grade: A

Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:53 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Really funny. One of my favorite scenes is when he's getting his plane ticket and the lady is typing like 1000 wpm. It's so funny.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:00 am
Aslan Reigns Supreme

This was one of the best ben stiller movies ever. Glad the sequel is finally coming out,

3.Click
4.Over the Hedge
5.See No Evil

Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:36 pm
life begins now

B+

Charming flick, especially the airport scenes towards the end.

light Attendant: Sir, we have a policy on this airline that a bag this large must be...
Greg Focker: [grabs his bag back] You know what, get your grubby little paws OFF my bag, okay? It's not like I have a bomb in here. It's not like I wanna blow up the plane. I just want to store my bag according to your safety regulations.
Flight Attendant: Sir, sir!
Greg Focker: Just take a minute, take those little sticks out of your head, clean out your ears, and you'll see that I'm a person with feelings, and all I wanna do is do what *I* wanna do and not listen to you! And the only way I'd ever let you have my bag is if you pried it from my dead, lifeless fingers, okay? If you can get it from my kung-fu grip then you can have it, okay? Otherwise, step off, bitch.

That was priceless! And the airport lady typing that fast and taking forever to find a ticket was too. Overall, a well deserved A- from me.

Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:12 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

When i went to the cinema to see it, i was laughing non-stop, i didnt know what i let myself in for, in actual fact, i think i saw it because something else was sold out, all i have to say is thankyou to "that-film-that-was-sold-out" :wink: lol

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:56 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Fri May 06, 2005 7:52 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

I just never bought the love for this movie. Yes, the concept of a guy spending some time in his soon-to-be-wife's house with her überstrict father is good, but many jokes fell flat (and were spoiled during the marketing campaign). Robert De Niro is top notch here and delivers a very fine and amusing performance, but amusing seems to be the keyword for the whole movie. It is amusing, yes, and it put a smile to my face many times, but it is just not as hilarious and laugh-out-loud funny as many make it out to be, at least not to me.

Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:48 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Meet the Parents
Can't find my original review, but I loved this movie. I saw it five times in it's original theatrical release. Hilarious.

(PS: The sequel stunk! I can't think of an original movie and it's sequel with a greater disparity of quality between them.)

Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:06 am
---------

Still remains as my favorite comedy ever, barely edging out Liar, Liar. Everything's spot on here. Ben Stiller at his absolute best. The story's every guy's worst nightmare.

Grade: A

Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:39 pm
life begins now

Awesome, hilarious film.

B+/A-

Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:07 pm
Profile YIM
Sbil

Incredibly hilarious. A-

Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:45 am
He didn't look busy?!

pretty much the only good thing DeNiro has to his name in this decade, along with its surprisingly funny sequel. While Something About Mary started Stiller's career, this made him a huge star, and basically was the birth of the Frat Pack, a commodity that is still extremely successful today (Apatow's films sorta fall under that).

A

Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:13 pm
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

A fun original film with superb acting from Ben Stiller and Robert DeNiro.

A

Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:56 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

It's actually pretty funny, unlike its sequel.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:54 pm
New Server, Same X

Yeah, I remember loving this when it came out. Fockers isn't terrible. Just not good. Little Fockers I won't dignify with a viewing.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:12 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Can't find my original review, but I loved this movie. I saw it five times in it's original theatrical release. Hilarious.

(PS: The sequel stunk! I can't think of an original movie and it's sequel with a greater disparity of quality between them.)

Yeah, that's why it made something like 280 Million domestically cause it stunk..

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:34 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I'd never seen this film, so I decided to check it out on my HBO NOW 30 day free trial. It's no masterpiece, and it doesn't rewrite the book on comedy, but I found it far more enjoyable than the similar Wedding Crashers. I actually laughed in this movie, and Jinxy Cat was so cute! Robert De Niro has a memorable performance and is easily the best thing in this movie.

B+

Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]