Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Bridge to Terabithia 

What grade would you give this film?
A 56%  56%  [ 15 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 9 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 27

Bridge to Terabithia 
Extraordinary

Post Bridge to Terabithia
Bridge to Terabithia

Quote:
Bridge to Terabithia is a 2007 fantasy drama film directed by Gábor Csupó and adapted for film by David L. Paterson and Jeff Stockwell. The film is based on the Katherine Paterson novel of the same name, and distributed by Walt Disney Pictures in the US. The film stars Josh Hutcherson, AnnaSophia Robb, Robert Patrick, Bailee Madison and Zooey Deschanel. Bridge to Terabithia tells the story of Jess Aarons and Leslie Burke, ten-year-old neighbors who create a fantasy world called Terabithia and spend their free time together in an abandoned tree house.

Screenwriter David Paterson is Katherine Paterson's son, and the novel is based on parts of his childhood. When he asked his mother if he could write a screenplay of the novel, she agreed because of his ability as a playwright. Production began in February 2006, and the film was finished by November. Principal photography was shot in Auckland, New Zealand within sixty days. Film editing took ten weeks, while post-production, music mixing, and visual effects took several months.

Bridge to Terabithia was released theatrically in the U.S. and Canada on February 16, 2007. The film was a financial success, and with a budget of around $20 million, it had a worldwide gross of US$137 million. The film received positive reviews; critics called it a faithful adaption of the children's novel, and found dynamic visuals and natural performances further enhanced the imaginative film. Bridge to Terabithia was nominated for seven awards, winning five at the Young Artist Awards.

Last edited by Joker's Thug #3 on Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:13 am
Orphan

Superb little film. More accurate in its reflection of adolescence than anyone had any right to expect. The performances are great across the board. Robb in particular steals the show. She's so charismatic it's uncanny considering how new she is to acting. Hutcherson continues his streak of great family films after Little Manhattan (a little-seen gem of a movie) and Zathura. His manager is better at picking scripts than 90% of A-list actors. The odd thing is that the fantasy sequences are by far the weakest element of the film. I for one am glad that they don't take up much of the running time.

Grade - A

Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:39 am
Extraordinary

A very good kid's movie, if those kids aren't too young and/or are open to it's deeper themes of love and grief. It's actually almost the exact same movie as Pan's Labyrinth without the brutal gratuitous violence. Some might say it's slow, but I really enjoyed it, and will rate it the same as I did P'sL. The acting was solid, though the Terminator didn't have enough to work with, and how about AnnaSophia Robb and Zooey Deschanel's eyes!!!

5 out of 5.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:04 pm
Sbil

A magical film about the wonders of imagination and friendship. The book has always been one of my favorites, and it is tenderly adapted here. Young actors Josh Hutcherson and AnnaSophia Robb are key in the film's success, and the other actors are solid as well. It is highly emotional and heartfelt without being manipulative. Indeed, this is the best family film in recent memory. A-

Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:31 pm
Teenage Dream

I was actually about to go see this last night at the 10:15 PM showing by myself, and then I thought that may be kind of creepy.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:05 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I was actually about to go see this last night at the 10:15 PM showing by myself, and then I thought that may be kind of creepy.

Creepy?

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:10 pm
Sbil

It wouldn't be creepy at all. You should have gone, this movie had more genuine emotion and depth than most adult films do.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:41 pm
Teenage Dream

makeshift wrote:

Creepy?

Yeah. Single guy in his 20s going to the last showing of a "kids" movie by himself.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:42 pm
Teenage Dream

makeshift wrote:

It wouldn't be creepy at all. You should have gone, this movie had more genuine emotion and depth than most adult films do.

I want to see it. I think I'll go this afternoon if nothing else comes up.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:43 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Gullimont wrote:
makeshift wrote:

Creepy?

Yeah. Single guy in his 20s going to the last showing of a "kids" movie by himself.

Well unless your entering the theater with a giant "Im a big Kiddy-Fiddler" shirt I'd say you'd have been fine

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:46 pm
Teenage Dream

makeshift wrote:
Gullimont wrote:
makeshift wrote:

Creepy?

Well unless your entering the theater with a giant "Im a big Kiddy-Fiddler" shirt I'd say you'd have been fine

So you're saying I can't wear my favorite shirt today?!?!?

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:49 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Gullimont wrote:
makeshift wrote:
Gullimont wrote:
makeshift wrote:

Creepy?

So you're saying I can't wear my favorite shirt today?!?!?

:lol: :unsure:

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:49 pm
Extraordinary

Gullimont wrote:
makeshift wrote:

Creepy?

How many kids go to the 10:15pm late show? It's actually my favorite time to catch quality kid's flicks.

Now, if ya wanna talk creepy -- how about the single guy sitting in the back of a kiddie filled matinee...

:sick:

Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:32 pm
Kypade

Very romantic, very sad...

A very good kid's movie, if those kids aren't too young and/or are open to it's deeper themes of love and grief. It's actually almost the exact same movie as Pan's Labyrinth without the brutal gratuitous violence. Some might say it's slow, but I really enjoyed it, and<strike> will rate it the same as I did P'sL</strike>. The acting was solid, though the Terminator didn't have enough to work with, and how about AnnaSophia Robb and Zooey Deschanel's eyes!!!

5 out of 5.
plus
Libs wrote:
A magical film about the wonders of imagination and friendship.<strike> The book has always been one of my favorites</strike>, and it is tenderly adapted here. Young actors Josh Hutcherson and AnnaSophia Robb are key in the film's success, and the other actors are solid as well. It is highly emotional and heartfelt without being manipulative. Indeed, this is the best family film in recent memory. A-

equals, basically my thoughts exactly.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:32 pm
Pure Phase

Profoundly moving, clever family film. AnnaSophia Robb and Josh Hutcherson are brilliant. A.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:30 pm
Orphan

Seriously, this film is getting almost universal praise. What's the last film to do that; let alone a family film? I really hope the general word-of-mouth is good and isn't too affected by the somewhat downbeat ending.

Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:01 pm
Pure Phase

I agree. I'd love for this beautiful film to have a long, fruitful run.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:38 pm
Kypade

I just realized that the director "Csupo" is the same as the co-creator/producer/whatever of Rugrats (Klasky & Csupo or something like that). That's awesome. :o :o :O

Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:08 pm
Site Owner

Me and my friend Pat, who will start writing reviews for the main site this weekend, took our respective girlfriends to see this film last weekend.

We caught a 10:10 showing, and it was only us and 2 other guys in the theater.

About a fourth of the way through, the girls were like, this movie sucks! By the end they were both crying.

I personally agree with the above sentiments, I found the film very moving, and while I can understand how the fantasy aspects may be hard for some to accept the way it is visualized on screen, I had no problem with it.

All in all, removing Pixar from the equation it was the best family film I have seen in recent memory.

Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:19 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

A beautiful and touching family film about love, loss and imagination. Josh Hutcherson, AnnaSophia Robb, the adorable newcomer Bailee Madison and Zooey Deschanel all give great, heartfelt performances. Sure to be among the year's best. A-.

Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:43 am
Profile YIM
Wallflower

I just have to scream OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This movie snuck right up on me. Unless you have read the book there is absolutely no way you will know what kind of movie you are getting yourself into from just seeing the ads alone. And for me this was a very good thing. From the previews it looked like a “Chronicles of Narnia” type of movie. Like a family fantasy movie with several special effects and mythical creatures. It seemed good for that kind of movie, but I wasn’t nearly as interested until the amazing reviews from critics came out, all of which said it’s not that kind of movie at all. Considering it has maybe 10-15 minutes tops of these fantasy scenes and they’re all in the imagination of the main characters I’d have to say this should easily have the most misleading marketing campaign of the year. However, if they showed that it was really a touching coming-of-age story it wouldn’t sell nearly as many tickets and this movie deserves to be seen. So I’m glad they advertised it the way they did, because not only are more people seeing it, but it surprised me by being so much better and different than I was expecting.

AnnaSophia Robb (Because of Winn-Dixie) and Josh Hutcherson (Little Manhattan, Zoom) have amazing chemistry together. Both play off each other perfectly and their friendship is wholly believable and special. I know I was incredibly wrapped up in it. This may seem like it’s a “kids movie” but to call it such would be belittling it. I think adults will find themselves more involved in and appreciative of this film than young kids will. And normally I’m not a huge fan of child stars but AnnaSophia Robb constantly amazed me here. I was just in awe of her natural screen presence several times throughout this film. Not to mention that she is just the cutest thing ever. I adored her here. I also found Bailee Madison adorable as May Belle. She achieves a natural cuteness, not one that comes off as phony and trying.

Not in the tradition of “The Chronicles of Narnia” but instead in the tradition of other coming-of-age tearjerkers like “Stand By Me” and “My Girl,” “Bridge To Terabithia” is one to cherish and will be a classic tale of young friendship. In the wrong hands this movie could have come off as laughable and manipulative, but here it all feels so genuine and without an ounce of cheese. It earned the right to break my heart, and break my heart it did. It was impossible to hold back the tears. This should easily be the biggest tearjerker of the year and believe it or not, will either be my best film of the year on my list at the end of the year or one of the very best. My favorites never come at the beginning of the year either, so this one really surprises me. I absolutely never give out perfect ratings upon first viewing, not even to masterpieces that eventually earn them upon repeat viewings, but this one struck a cord with me and has accomplished the very rare feat of earning just that rating on my first viewing of it. Never could I have expected to adore this film so much. This tale of that rare once-in-a-lifetime friendship is a family film masterpiece that will no doubt be cherished for generations to come. Simply wonderful!

Grade: 10/10 (A+)

Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:40 pm
Wallflower

If that little brat can get an Oscar nomination for Little Miss Sunshine then AnnaSophia Robb deserves one for this movie. My god did I fall in love with her here (and not in a creepy, pedophile kind of way :tongue:). I'm actually pretty positive she'll make my top 5 female performances at the end of the year.

Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:46 pm
htm

Is it strange that I'm dying to see this at this point?

Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:16 pm
Kypade

Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:29 pm
htm

No because i liked it.

...in that case. :smile:

Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next