Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Breach 

What grade would you give this film?
A 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
B 74%  74%  [ 14 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 19

Breach 
Extraordinary

Post Breach
Breach

Quote:
Breach is a 2007 American docudrama directed by Billy Ray. The screenplay by Ray, Adam Mazer, and William Rotko is based on the true story of Robert Hanssen, an FBI agent convicted of spying for the Soviet Union and later Russia for more than two decades, and Eric O'Neill, who worked as his assistant and helped bring about his downfall. O'Neill served as a consultant on the film.

Last edited by Joker's Thug #3 on Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:11 am
College Boy Z

Just an average "thriller," but it does contain an interesting story (one I wasn't aware of, so I was still interested) and some rather solid performances, especially from Chris Cooper. C+

Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:05 pm
Pure Phase

Loved it! Breach is an extremely involving, suspenseful film with great acting by Ryan Phillippe and especially Chris Cooper. On par with The Constant Gardener, The Good Shepherd, Lord of War, and Syriana. I love this genre and this is another fine film in it. A.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:44 am
Sbil

An understated and effective thriller that works even better because of its subtlety. In a masterful performance, Chris Cooper would easily be a lock for an Oscar nomination if the film was released later in the year. Ryan Phillippe continues to expand his range away from "pretty boy" status, while Laura Linney adds qualities to her character that may not have been present in the script. Director Billy Ray, whose last film Shattered Glass was also about a seemingly normal individual who lead a double life as a liar, keeps the level of intrigue fairly high throughout despite mostly everyone seeing it knowing what the end will be. B+

Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:20 am
Orphan

Effectively understated thriller that works mostly because of a powerful performance by Chris Cooper and decent supporting turns by Linney, Haysbert, and Phillippe.

Grade - B+

Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:51 am
Where will you be?

While I think the film would have worked better if presented with Hanssen as the lead, Breach was still an excellent character drama full of details that really elevated it above the norm (tea kettle stood out to me.) Chris Cooper was just as great as Phillipe was bland. I'd have loved to see a stronger actor take the role though - it certainly had potential. Still, despite Phillipe and his wife drama that felt more perfunctory than anything to me, it was thoroughly riveting.

Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:49 am
Extraordinary

I caught this at a midnight showing and me and my bro were the only ones in it. This film deals alot with the FBI and a aspiring agent trying to take down a turncoat. The story should be familiar with most americans or they should at least know the name Robert Hanssen. I loved this film so much. I found the presentation of this story to be very well done and it had the actors all perfectly cast save for maybe the wife of RP. I found they made her a bit whiny, but that's nitpicky. Chris Cooper was excellent and Laura Linney was fantastic. RP did a solid job too. I thought they did a good job giving you a sense of what the FBI is about and how it functions. Maybe I just happen to find the subject matter and the institution so interesting that it's skewing my point of view but I was glued to the screen. My favorite scenes in the film were those in the office itself and pretty much any of the interaction between RP and CC. I can't think of any part that I did not enjoy other than maybe when the wife was getting a little preachy about whether RP could trust her or not. Overall, I found this to be much more interesting than the Good Shepherd even though I do like both films I think Breach is just a few notches better than that similar film.

Grade - A

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:24 am
Top Poster

B. It feels like there isn't much of a movie from the real-life situation so they had to manufacture fictional conflict and character interactions that just don't feel genuinely real. But still an interesting sit if taken as a fictional movie.

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:19 am
Profile WWW
Stanley Cup

best film of the year so far. Cooper deserves an Oscar nod but i'm sure he wont get one.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:01 am
Extraordinary

Very nicely done docudrama about the workings of security theatre in the FBI. If this movie was a little clearer on where it's loyalties lay, it could have been a classic. As it stands, it is an entertaining and enlightening view of recent history, well acted by the three leads.

4 out of 5.

Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:12 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

Very impressive thriller. All performances across the board were fantastic, especially Cooper and Linney.

Sun May 20, 2007 3:03 pm
Wallflower

A great, fascinating little thriller. The acting was great all around, especially by Chris Cooper. Also worth note though are Ryan Phillippe and Caroline Dhavernas. Very well-done!

Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:20 am
Forum General

The B+ movie, apparently, and I'm going to have to agree.

Great, quiet film, in the vein of Shattered Glass. Very slick, very well-written, gripping. Liked it a lot.

Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:16 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:22 am
life begins now

A very effective thriller with a great performance by Chris Cooper.

B-

Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:37 pm
Profile YIM
Teenage Dream

An impressive thriller with great performances all around, most notably Chris Cooper. B+

Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:39 pm
Begging Naked

The B+ movie, apparently, and I'm going to have to agree.

Me too. I think it's largely because there aren't any big, glaring flaws that bring it down (Ryan's problems at home only come close), but it also doesn't have that amazing little zing to push it farther (Cooper's performance comes mighty close though). Overall, a tight thriller that works well despite giving away its ending right from the opening scene.

***/****

Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:51 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Breach
I'll join the chorus. It's very solid all-around, and the slow-burn, character-heavy nature of the story works very well for this film. There's no weak spots in the cast, and Cooper's performance is by far the best thing about the film. He brings real depth and humanity to his character. As a thriller, it's admittedly lacking, as there's only a few moments of true suspense, but as a character drama, it's surprisingly great.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:27 pm
The Wall

6/10 -> C

A good, solid movie. Cooper and Linney did an amazing job while Phillippe was good enough to be believeable. The movie felt a bit empty throughout - there was never a dramatic peak.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:59 pm
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

A political thriller-docudrama-character study-spy movie. It works on all of those levels to varying degrees. While technically a thriller, there weren't many thrilling moments, although the movie as a whole was quite gripping. Cooper does EXCELLENT work here. Linney did really good as well. Phillippe was bland, but passable. He didn't bring the movie down at all; he simply didn't help it.

B (maybe a B+)

Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]