Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 The Exorcist III 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

The Exorcist III 
Extraordinary

Post The Exorcist III
The Exorcist III

Quote:
The Exorcist III is a 1990 American supernatural thriller written and directed by William Peter Blatty. It is the second sequel of The Exorcist series and a film adaptation of Blatty's novel, Legion (1983). The film stars George C. Scott, Brad Dourif, Ed Flanders, and Nicol Williamson. This is the only Exorcist film not to be distributed theatrically by Warner Bros.

Set fifteen years after the original film and ignoring the events of Exorcist II: The Heretic (1977), the film centers around the philosophical Lieutenant William F. Kinderman from the first film, investigating a baffling series of murders in Georgetown that appear to have a satanic motive behind them and furthermore have all the hallmarks of "The Gemini", a deceased serial killer.

Originally titled Legion, the film was drastically changed in post-production with re-writes and re-shoots ordered by the studio executives of Morgan Creek Productions, demanding the last-minute addition of an exorcism sequence, and the film was released as The Exorcist III in order to be more commercial. The final version differed from Blatty's vision; all of the cut footage is apparently lost.

Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:47 pm
loyalfromlondon

Surprisingly good second sequel, especially given the quality of Exorcist II. Blatty is a pretty good director, as some of the shots are stunning in their patience and composition (the hallway scene especially). The visuals are impressive and effective, and not overused. Unfortunately, the story doesn't quite measure up. It's an interesting blend of the first Exorcist and the real-life Zodiac killings, but it doesn't work as well as it should, and sometimes loses the viewer to confusion. The ending doesn't fit at all, either, along with the whole subplot with Father Morning, though I know that's not Blatty's fault. Still, it takes away from the film, which doesn't need an exorcism at the end to remain effectively scary. All in all, it's a good film that unfortunately suffers from studio pressure.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:08 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Surprisingly good second sequel, especially given the quality of Exorcist II. Blatty is a pretty good director, as some of the shots are stunning in their patience and composition (the hallway scene especially). The visuals are impressive and effective, and not overused. Unfortunately, the story doesn't quite measure up. It's an interesting blend of the first Exorcist and the real-life Zodiac killings, but it doesn't work as well as it should, and sometimes loses the viewer to confusion. The ending doesn't fit at all, either, along with the whole subplot with Father Morning, though I know that's not Blatty's fault. Still, it takes away from the film, which doesn't need an exorcism at the end to remain effectively scary. All in all, it's a good film that unfortunately suffers from studio pressure.

Its a great sequel that would have been awesome if it stuck with the original ending, the producers made them refilm all of the ending and the casting of the priest from the first film. The film originally didnt have an exorcism. So the tone changes very drastically at the end. but apart from that it was very chilling and a creepy film, B+. I'd say easily the best exorcist film after the first.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]