Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 West Side Story 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

West Side Story 
College Boy Z

Post West Side Story
West Side Story

Quote:
West Side Story is a 1961 musical film directed by Robert Wise and Jerome Robbins. The film is an adaptation of the 1957 Broadway musical of the same name, which in turn was adapted from William Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet. It stars Natalie Wood, Richard Beymer, Russ Tamblyn, Rita Moreno, George Chakiris and David Winters, and it was photographed by Daniel L. Fapp, A.S.C., in Super Panavision 70.

The film's opening sequence was shot on the streets of New York City, mainly in the area where the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts campus of Fordham University now stands. Veteran director Robert Wise was chosen as the director and producer because of his familiarity with urban New York dramas, such as Odds Against Tomorrow. Wise had never directed a musical before and when it was suggested that Jerome Robbins, who had directed the stage version, be brought in to handle all the music and dance sequences in the film, Wise agreed. After about one-third of the movie had been shot, the Mirisch Company, which had become increasingly concerned that the production was over-budget, fired Robbins, who, according to Saul Chaplin in his autobiography, nearly suffered a nervous breakdown during the time he worked on the film. The remaining dance numbers were handled by Robbins' assistants. However, because of his great creative contribution to the film, Wise agreed Robbins be given co-directing credit, even though Wise directed the majority of the film himself.

The film was released on October 18, 1961, through United Artists. It received praise from critics and the public, and became the second highest grossing film of the year in the United States. The film won ten Academy Awards in its eleven nominated categories, including Best Picture, as well as a special award for Robbins. West Side Story holds the distinction of having won more Academy Awards than any other musical film (unless one counts the Honorary Award given to Maurice Chevalier in 1959, the year that Gigi won its nine Oscars. The soundtrack album sold more copies than any soundtrack album before it, and more than the original cast album did.

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:24 pm
Sbil

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:41 pm
Veteran

One of my favorite musicals, surpassed only by Moulin Rouge and Grease. I didn't like the opening musical number, but everything else was fantastic. My grade: A-.

Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:21 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

It's remarkable that in a film where characters move to place to place by dancing, and where the screenplay is intentionally overly theatrical, that the singing and numbers come as natural as any musical I've seen. When Wood opens her mouth to sing "I'm so pretty" or when Beymer starts singing "Maria", there is no crack in the atmosphere, you completley buy into these characters singing the songs. That's a feat that strangely enough not many musicals can accomplish.

One thing that surprised me, coming in I knew it followed the Romeo and Juliet type of love story, I didn't know it WAS Romeo and Juliet... a scene by scene adaptation. The opening, the dance, the balcony, the fight, the misunderstanding... Kind of ruined the suspense actually, but then again, just like in that play how we immediately know this love is doomed, we do in here as well.

I thought the ending was really brilliant. Other than the obvious power of Tony's death, you keep waiting for Maria to blow herself away, you keep waiting for that final shot as she's holding the gun... But it never happens. As we look into her suddenly cold eyes as she stares out over the body, the message is that life goes on, hardship is everlasting, and she will live with this coldness for the rest of her life. Wise realized that life is important enougt to strive through the hurt, and that in itself is more powerful than Shakespeare's ending in my opinion. Maria as she walks away despite the unbelievable setting is a full blooded and real character and human, someone who is too scared to take her own life, someone who was caught in a flame but recognizes she has to live on. It's almost important for the film as Wise recognized that while he followed R&J almost exactly, this story is its own entity, and with the twist finale he stamped its own original power on it.

The music and choreography in the film is fairly fantastic. It's just so... fun. The whole thing is set in an unbelievable theatrical state, though as a decision, that just helps the film. My favorite songs was the "Psychologically Disturbed" one and "Stay Cool", along with "I'm so pretty" and the short "When you're a jet" sequence. It's definitley one of the more entertaining musicals to be made.

The acting is all charasmatic, with the standouts being Moreno(a much deserved Oscar) and Tamblyn, though Wood and Beymer as the leads carried the roles very well. Chakiris was also very good, though I wouldn't have given him the win.

The film isn't flawless, mostly due to some overly cheesy scenes and sequences. Some sections like the love at first sight dance meeting scene don't work out too well. It's not very deep, though it doesn't try to be.

Overall, a big success. I like.

Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:58 pm

Post Re: West Side Story
Not nearly as good as Moulain Rogue but an excellent film.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:08 pm
Hold the door!

Post Re: West Side Story
I liked it more at one point, but I've really grown tired of most of it.

B?

Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]