Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Hotaru no haka [Grave of the Fireflies] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Hotaru no haka [Grave of the Fireflies] 
College Boy Z

Post Hotaru no haka [Grave of the Fireflies]
Grave of the Fireflies

Quote:
Grave of the Fireflies (火垂るの墓 Hotaru no Haka) [translated "Grave of Fireflies"] is a 1988 Japanese animated war drama film written and directed by Isao Takahata. This is the first film produced by Shinchosha, who hired Studio Ghibli to do the animation production work. It is an adaptation of the semi-autobiographical novel of the same name by Akiyuki Nosaka, intended as a personal apology to the author's own sister.

Roger Ebert considers it to be one of the most powerful anti-war movies ever made. Animation historian Ernest Rister compares the film to Steven Spielberg's Schindler's List and says, "it is the most profoundly human animated film I've ever seen."

Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:43 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

I started this film, but was unable to finish it at the time. It is on my shopping list. Target has it for $14.99.

Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:12 pm
Extraordinary

^ I saw it for 15 bucks at Target too, I still really want to see it.

Last edited by publicenemy#1 on Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:39 pm
Extraordinary

An important cornerstone in animation as a whole, and easily and unquestionably one of the greatest war films ever made. And yes, I'm including this among the 'great' war films, whichever films you'd like to include among those (Schindler's List, Apocalypse Now, etc.)

This film is something American animation still has to match in its depth and utterly depressing expression of the human condition. Not by using elephants or fish, but plain humans.

A

I have not given a single 2004 release an A, so consider this extremely special. It is very rare that I give a film an unblemished top grade. Grave of the Fireflies is the second anime to receive a grade higher than A-, the other being Spirited Away, which is the only anime that, to my knowledge, surpasses this one.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:30 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

I agree about Spirited Away. That film was simply amazing. Easily the best animated movie I have ever seen. Well deserving of its Oscar win.

Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:38 am
Kypade

another amazing animated film...not quite as good as Spirited Away, but still a wonderful, wonderful movie...so sad, though...A+ for sure...

the only problem is it didnt seem to wanna play right on my dvd player...like every 10-15 seconds it kinda skipped, picture and sound, for about a .5 second...it said something about it might do that cuz something about dual layering or something...oh well, it's not a flaw with the film...

Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:14 pm
Extraordinary

A good film,way overrated but still good.

I would give it a B-.

Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:12 am
Profile WWW
Lover of Bacon

My god that was depressing, excellent though. Agree with box, stands well in it's own right as a war film.

A-

Mon May 28, 2007 1:37 pm
Speed Racer

I'm surprised by the massive love for Spirited Away. Enjoyed it, certainly, but preferred some of his earlier stuff. Think Nausicaa was prob'ly his masterpiece, even after all these years.

Mon May 28, 2007 5:56 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Bar none the best animated film I have ever see, and it's in my Top 5 all time.

Mon May 28, 2007 7:11 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Grave of the Fireflies
Yeah, it's quite depressing. And I teared up a few times not really knowing I was.

A-

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:21 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re:
neo_wolf wrote:
A good film,way overrated but still good.

I would give it a B-.

Agreed.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:52 am
New Server, Same X

Post Re: Hotaru no haka [Grave of the Fireflies]
I knew this was going to be a sad movie, but man... I don't know if I was prepared for how heart-wrenching it is. It's devastating. But after it was over and I processed it more, there are some really beautiful glimmers of hope in there. This is an incredible experience.

Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:33 pm

Post Re: Hotaru no haka [Grave of the Fireflies]
It is the Schindler’s List of animated masterpieces

Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]