Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Seraphim Falls 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Seraphim Falls 

Post Seraphim Falls
Seraphim Falls

Quote:
Seraphim Falls is a 2007 American Revisionist Western film directed by television producer and director David Von Ancken in his first feature film. The storyline was conceived from a screenplay written by Von Ancken and Abby Everett Jaques. The fictional story focuses on a bounty hunt for a Union soldier by a Confederate colonel following the American Civil War in the late 1860s. Pierce Brosnan, Liam Neeson, Michael Wincott, Tom Noonan, and Ed Lauter star in principal roles. Seraphim Falls explores civil topics, such as violence, human survival and war.

The film was produced by the motion picture studio of Icon Productions. It was commercially distributed by Samuel Goldwyn Films and Destination Films theatrically, and by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment for home media. The film score was composed by musician Harry Gregson-Williams, although a soundtrack version for the motion picture was not released to the public. Notable similarities have been found between the film and the 1976 revisionist western, The Outlaw Josey Wales directed by Clint Eastwood.

Seraphim Falls premiered in theaters in limited release in the United States on January 26, 2007 grossing $418,296 in domestic ticket sales. It earned an additional $801,762 in box office business overseas for a combined worldwide total of $1,220,058 in revenue. The film was generally met with positive critical reviews before its initial screening in cinemas. The widescreen DVD edition of the film featuring scene selections and a bonus featurette, was released in the United States on May 15, 2007.

Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:38 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

No need to say it, if your a fan of Western's you like this film. The first 2/3s of the film rival some of best westerns as Neesan and especially Brosnan are well matched and hand in great performances. It plays out a little like the storyline of first blood but then takes off into a very interesting finale. I was entertained throughout and the ending is perhaps a little unfufilled but its a solid effort none the less and makes you thank that Brosnan got out of Bond for he is really a very talented actor.

B+/A-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:32 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Actually thinking about it more, I just really dug the setting, cinematography and violent yet steady feel to the film. Its an A- for me.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:34 pm
We had our time together

Post Re: Seraphim Falls
Very solid western. I really liked the beginning in the woods and the kinda weird ending. Brosnan gave a great performance, easily overshadowing Neeson, which surprised me the most. B+/B

Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:06 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Of the three new westerns I have seen within a short period of time recently (The Assassination of Jesse James, 3:10 to Yuma and this), this one is certainly the worst one as it doesn't quite possess the artistic approach of the one or the fun and action of the other, but it is still a decent film. All three films together definitely show that western is a genre that doesn't deserve to remain dead and that in right hands there's still great material to be produced.

Seraphim Falls is basically a 100-minutes long chase with Liam Neeson going after Pierce Brosnan, three years after the end of the Civil War. To my surprise, I liked Brosnan's performance here as the emotionally deeply-challenged Gideon more than Neeson's turn, though both are good. Overall, the film doesn't manage to be as exciting as it could have been, apart from the first 20 minutes which take place in snowy hills and offer a perspective on how great the movie could have been. The backstory that is told to us in flashbacks during the film is pretty much the standard you'd expect for a film like this. It never bored and the cinematography is quite nice, capturing many beautiful landscapes. I wasn't the big fan of the too idealistic ending, though. Something more grim would have fitted the film more.

Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:29 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]