Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 The Sting 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

The Sting 

Post The Sting
The Sting

Quote:
The Sting is a 1973 American caper film set in September 1936 that involves a complicated plot by two professional grifters (Paul Newman and Robert Redford) to con a mob boss (Robert Shaw). The film was directed by George Roy Hill, who previously directed Newman and Redford in the western Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Created by screenwriter David S. Ward, the story was inspired by real-life con games perpetrated by the brothers Fred and Charley Gondorff and documented by David Maurer in his book The Big Con: The Story of the Confidence Man.

The title phrase refers to the moment when a con artist finishes the "play" and takes the mark's money. (Today the expression is mostly used in the context of law enforcement sting operations.) If a con game is successful, the mark does not realize he has been "taken" (cheated), at least not until the con men are long gone. The film is divided into distinct sections with old-fashioned title cards with lettering and illustrations rendered in a style reminiscent of the Saturday Evening Post. The film is noted for its musical score—particularly its main melody, "The Entertainer", a piano rag by Scott Joplin, which was lightly adapted for the movie by Marvin Hamlisch (and became a top-ten chart single for Hamlisch, when released as a single from the film's soundtrack). The film's success encouraged a surge of popularity and critical acclaim for Joplin's work.

The Sting was very successful at the 46th Academy Awards, being nominated for 10 Oscars and winning seven, including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay.

Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:11 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Sorry but i found this supoose classic overrated, i thought it was boring and the ending didnt come of a shock to me, i was expecting something like that.

C

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Post Re: The Sting
I'm not sure any movie can match The Sting for sheer entertainment value. I think I could watch the scene where Newman hooks Shaw at Poker on a continuous loop for a month.

Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:14 pm
loyalfromlondon

Pure entertainment, and that's it. In that it's a bit of a rarity among Best Picture winners: there's no deeper meaning or important message, it's just a lot of fun. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I find it funny that Redford spends about half of this movie running away from someone.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:50 pm
Begging Naked

This was some fine entertainment. Not quite GREAT to me, but consistently good with some truly awesome moments of connage and double-crossing and entertainment (The scene yoshue mention was the highlight of the movie for me, absolutely hilarious). The soundtrack is quite fun too. Not too much else to say, really. I had fun.

***/****

Sat May 24, 2008 1:31 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

well, I hated it.

Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:33 am
The Lubitsch Touch

ok, Pauline Kael. Sorry about the whole midget thing.

Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]