Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Painted Veil 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

The Painted Veil 

Post The Painted Veil
The Painted Veil

Quote:
The Painted Veil is a 2006 Chinese-American drama film directed by John Curran. The screenplay by Ron Nyswaner is based on the 1925 novel of the same title by W. Somerset Maugham. Edward Norton, Naomi Watts, Toby Jones, Anthony Wong Chau Sang and Liev Schreiber appear in the leading roles.

This is the third screen adaptation of the Maugham book, following a 1934 film starring Herbert Marshall and Greta Garbo and a 1957 version called The Seventh Sin with Bill Travers and Eleanor Parker. These films had been acquired by Warner Bros. (parent of Warner Independent Pictures, which is now defunct) by the time the 2006 adaptation was released.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:34 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I absolutely loved this film. It's disgusting how ignored it's been this award season. Naomi Watts and Edward Norton deliver absolutely incredible performances and the supporting cast, including Toby Jones, Diana Rigg, and Liev Schreiber, is across-the-board top-notch. The film's also moving and beautifully shot. Overall, a triumph and my second favorite film of 2006, behind Children of Men. A+.

If you have the opportunity, please see this excellent film.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:33 am
Extraordinary

The Painted Veil is an unwavering meditation on the experience of long term complementary relationships between two humans -- in this particular case, a man and a woman...

Beautifully paced storytelling is the centerpiece of this feast of moviemaking. That and some splendid acting on the part of the two leads. Say what you will, but I found confidence in the fact that Edward Norton and Naomi watts were listed as producers of this film. I'm reassured to see that it's not only me that has a stake in this movie succeeding.

The setting in 1920's China is exquisitely reproduced and the cinematography ably supports it. The supporting cast is uniformly exemplary (esp.: Diana Rigg (!) ). This is a fine, fine production and a moving movie to boot.

Lovely.

7 out of 5.

P.S.: "Painted Veil" = Silver Screen)

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:20 am
Wallflower

A good movie, but not a great one. It's very elegant though and well-made, but it just lacks something. While the story and everything is interesting, it's hardly as compelling as it should be.

Wed May 09, 2007 4:19 am
Top Poster

Post Re: The Painted Veil
Good movie. Slow-paced but not boring. B+

Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:04 pm
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

Post Re: The Painted Veil
Interesting, another love story in the past film that did not bore me.

It was actually nice and sweet and touching like Atonement.

Great acting and a nice simple story.

Lacked any "epicness" that the promo's were showing but nevertheless a nice film to watch if you like these simple love stories.

B+

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]