Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 The Italian Job (2003) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
B 64%  64%  [ 9 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

The Italian Job (2003) 
College Boy Z

Post The Italian Job (2003)
The Italian Job

Quote:
The Italian Job is a 2003 heist film directed by F. Gary Gray. The film stars Mark Wahlberg, Charlize Theron, Edward Norton, Seth Green, Jason Statham, Mos Def, and Donald Sutherland. It is an American remake of the 1969 British film of the same name, and is about a team of thieves who plan to steal gold bullion from a former associate who double crossed them. Despite the shared title, the plot and characters of this film differ from those of its source material; Gray described the film as "an homage to the original."

Most of the film was shot on location in Venice and Los Angeles, where canals and streets, respectively, were temporarily shut down during principal photography. Produced by Paramount Pictures, The Italian Job was theatrically released in the United States on May 30, 2003, and grossed over $176 million worldwide. Critical response was generally positive, with publications highlighting the action sequences. A sequel, The Brazilian Job, has reportedly been in development since 2004, but has yet to be produced as of 2011.

One of the biggest surprises of '03. Loved this movie. A

Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:51 pm
Where will you be?

B. It was completely average, sacrificing logic and tension to just be a lot of fun, but it worked.

Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:05 pm
I just lost the game

One of the biggest surprises for me, personally, I've probably ever seen. I was so surprised, in fact, that I eventually saw it in theaters 4.5 times (power outtage). The whole movie was just so much fun. B+

Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:09 pm
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Surprisingly fun and and one of the most entertaining movies I have ever seen. The cast is pitch perfect, and the action sequences are marvelous. One of the best movies of 2003.

A

Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:37 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Nice cast but I'm not one who normally likes pointless action movies. It fell flat and was really quite boring for me.

5/10 (C-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:20 pm
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

I never got the love for this movie. It's a fun hesit flick, but nothing more than that. It's about on par with Ocean's Eleven and Ocean's Twelve and worse than After the Sunset, The Thomas Crown Affair and The Great Train Robbery. The cast is okay, no one stands out. I was surprised by the numerous humorous moments in this movie and there have been some well-made and inventive heist scenes as well. I found myself laughing quite a bit. The car chase didn't blow me away and I was particulary disappointed in Edward Norton (who as I know was basically forced to be in this movie). The conclusion of the movie is also very anti-climatic and left me unsatisfied.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:29 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

A lot of good, old-fashioned caper fun. B+

Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:45 pm
Teh Mexican

a big surprise for me too, great fun to watch!

A-

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:10 pm
Extraordinary

Uninspired stuff. It wasn't all that bad, and the pacing can't really be faulted, but for some reason I was just not exicited. Perhaps its because I saw the original, so the idea of traffic jams as a getaway system just don't seem so creative anymore. I understand it was a remake, so that was to be expected, but the 2003 Italian Job didn't bring anything new to the table. In fact, it removed some of the comedic element's of the original's ending, and failed to have the same wit of dialogue. It was just a straightforeward heist movie, and Norton was a miscaste here. He just came across as too smarmy instead and makes one wonder how they all had such a long standing connection from before. They should have eased up on him and either lessened his role, or made him a more pleasant character in order to shift the focus to a game of out-witting rather than one of out-smirking.

Still, for an action movie, it was tighter than recent additions to the genre.

B-

Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:11 pm
loyalfromlondon

Loads of fun, which makes up for some cheesy moments and a rather boring villain. Colourful characters, an interesting plot, and lots of snappy one-liners all add up to an entertaining flick. Perhaps quite shallow, but it's witty and funny and just fun to watch. Solid comedy/heist film.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:24 pm
All Star Poster

This was one of the biggest surprises of 03, made my top ten that year

A

Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:13 am
Extraordinary

Serviceable, but unimaginative remake of one of my old favourites that they used to always show on late night TV (though it hasn't been on TV around here in 20 years...).
The only thing that saved it for me was the quality character acting by the team.

3 out of 5.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:37 am
Golfaholic

Surprisingly good. I watched this back to back with the original and thought this one was superior. You can't do much wrong with a well-executed heist movie

Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:43 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Its a decent by the numbers action movie but it can't compete with the insanely jingoistic original.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]