Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Oldboy (2013) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Oldboy (2013) 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Oldboy (2013)
Oldboy (2013)

Quote:
Oldboy is a 2013 American remake of the 2003 Park Chan-wook South Korean cult film, which is based on the Japanese manga with the same name. The film is directed by Spike Lee and written by Mark Protosevich. It stars Josh Brolin, Elizabeth Olsen and Sharlto Copley.

Principal photography began in October 2012 and the film is scheduled to be released on November 27, 2013.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Oldboy (2013)
Another unnecessary American remake - - I'm going to rewatch the classic original instead of wasting my time on this crap (and BTW, where did they drag Spike Lee out from - - he hasn't been relevant since the early 90's).

Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:57 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Please only post reviews.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:29 am
Extraordinary

Chippy wrote:
Please only post reviews.

Ditto.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:17 pm
loyalfromlondon

redundant

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:03 pm
Pure Phase

For a time, this controversial-because-it-exists American version of the Korean film of the same name (which became an instant cult favorite upon its international release almost a decade ago) is a well-functioning, if uninspired machine. The story, again, turns on an alcoholic ad executive and failed father who is abducted and, for reasons unknown to him, imprisoned in a single room for 20 years before an abrupt release to play a dangerous game of deceit and vengeance. Even the most ardent fans of the prior film must admit this version is not without merit, from its committed and engaging lead performance to several moments of memorable violence and visual style. At the same time, though, it can never escape the shadow of the original, almost always playing as a version shorter on genuine grit and insight, thus inviting more focused (and unflattering) contemplation of the mechanics of the far-fetched storyline and its left-field psychological and sexual twists, resulting in a type of third-act implosion.

C

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:13 am
Pure Phase

The revised ending and my thoughts on it:

Instead of severing his own tongue and undergoing hypnosis to try to forget the fact he did -the deed- with his adult daughter, the protagonist here, Joe, decides to return to "the jail" and, using diamonds given to him by his now deceased tormentor, pay to be imprisoned again in the same small room. The last shot is him smiling, satisfied he is again apart from society and will never have to directly deal with his nightmare of a domestic situation.

I can understand and even admire the bid to move in another direction, but, Christ, does this new ending leave a toxic taste in my mouth. Almost any other conclusion would be preferable: have him send the diamonds to his daughter and then commit suicide! Simple! And perhaps before doing so, he could perform a noble deed and inform the police of this secret location where people are held against their will. Or go in an even more provocative direction and have him return to his daughter and try to figure out how to move forward despite the grotesque act of incest they were fooled into committing. But to return to the underground compound and say, "Oh, I slept with my daughter because I didn't know who she was, so can you please imprison me again? Here is a million dollars' worth of diamonds for your trouble, too!" is a dud of an ending. I do not buy it for a split second.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:22 am
We had our time together

Wow, the new ending sounds like pure shit.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:19 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

OLDBOY 2013

I thought this was a decent remake. Brolin was good, Jackson and Elizabeth Olsen were also good. Kopley seemed over the top. I really didn't like his accent or his look even. It was just too stuck up/high and mighty. The setup and room he was left in was well done. The investigation and discovery of the two questions Kopley asks Brolin began to bore me a bit and I already knew the end game but that was well done. As to how this compares to the original. Idk. I haven't seen it in a while but the original didn't strike a chord with me. It was interesting and the twist then was quite surprising. For this film though..

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:45 am
Forum General

I never saw the original, so my opinion might not really matter but I really enjoyed this. Josh Brolin was good, though he was a little over the top in a few scenes. Elisabeth Olsen continues being a great asset too and I hope she gets a big breakthrough role soon to burst out into the mainstream. I knew about the twist beforehand and I thought it was handled well. I do agree that the very ending was pretty terrible and kind of ruined it but whatever, the movie was still pretty good.

7/10

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

I don't know how they can make the movie worse than the original since the original was already shit to begin with.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:34 pm
You must have big rats

Luckily you are pretty much alone with that sentiment.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:15 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Not just me. Snrub felt the same way about the movie.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38173&p=1090831&hilit=oldboy#p1090831

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:13 pm
now we know

It has all the signs of a generic US remake. The villain is an eccentric, British-sounding billionaire, his motive is incredibly far fetched and unrealistic, and the film doesn't seem to be truly remade. It's pretty much a carbon copy, just set in the US and with a different, weird ending. I was interested with the story all along, and I had seen 올드보이 so long ago that I had forgot the ending, so this one did surprise me somewhat. Overall, I'd say I enjoyed it. The fights leave a lot to be desired, with most of the thugs just standing there and waiting to be pummelled with a hammer. But there are some good instances of violence, and I suppose overall it's a nice homage to the original. That being said, this movie doesn't need to be made.

C+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:50 am
Profile WWW
I heet the canadian!

The ending for this really is a piece of dog shit.

Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]