Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Nim's Island 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Nim's Island 
Extraordinary

Post Nim's Island
Nim's Island

Quote:
Nim's Island is a 2008 American adventure-fantasy film directed by Jennifer Flackett and Mark Levin and starring Abigail Breslin, Jodie Foster, and Gerard Butler. The story is based on the book Nim's Island by Wendy Orr. A young girl, Nim, seeks help from the author of her favorite adventure series when her scientist father goes missing. Nim, though, lives on an island in the South Pacific. The author, Alexandra Rover, is an agoraphobic living in San Francisco. Rover overcomes her fears and sets out in search of Nim while Nim tries to overcome her fear of losing her father. In the meantime, a cruise ship company threatens to invade Nim's island with uncouth tourists.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:19 am
Profile WWW
What would Jesus *not* do?

Post Re: Nim's Island
I don't know why I watch these types of films (damn job) as I almost never seem to like them do to the fact that I'm not the target demo. If you or your child are around the same age as Abigail Breslin then I can see where you'd find this film enjoyable. If you're not then this is simply another forgettable family film that you can avoid.

Grade C

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:11 am
Orphan

This is the film most deserving of an F that opened this weekend. The plot has so much padding it's pathetic. That whole tourist subplot was inane and stupid. The characters are all way underdeveloped/underwritten and the actors don't do a very good job either. Foster isn't very good at comedy.

Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:11 am

Joe wrote:
This is the film most deserving of an F that opened this weekend. The plot has so much padding it's pathetic. That whole tourist subplot was inane and stupid. The characters are all way underdeveloped/underwritten and the actors don't do a very good job either. Foster isn't very good at comedy.

I think you should save your F for the Ruins. That was by far and away the worst film that opened this weekend. Nim's, while by no means is a good film, doesn't strive to anything more than a safe family dramedy designed to suck money from parents wallets. It wasn't trying to be anything else. Ruins on the other hand tried to be horror film and failed miserably, thus richly deserving of an F.

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:42 pm
Orphan

The Mr Pink wrote:
Joe wrote:

I think you should save your F for the Ruins. That was by far and away the worst film that opened this weekend. Nim's, while by no means is a good film, doesn't strive to anything more than a safe family dramedy designed to suck money from parents wallets. It wasn't trying to be anything else. Ruins on the other hand tried to be horror film and failed miserably, thus richly deserving of an F.

One of many reasons movie critics are entirely useless.

Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:45 pm

Joe wrote:
The Mr Pink wrote:
Joe wrote:

One of many reasons movie critics are entirely useless.

I may be useless but I'm no movie critic. I have a job and most of them now don't.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/01/movie ... ref=slogin

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:04 pm
Extraordinary

I really, really enjoyed this one!

It's very old school - - just like the live action Disney movies of the 1960's.

The parallel stories were all very nicely woven together, and I enjoyed seeing Jodie Foster back in a fun role for a change. Abigail Breslin had a lot more to do here than she had in the underwhelming Definitely, Maybe and proves her worth as the current go-to child actress - - I look forward to seeing her in this summer's Kit Kittredge. And Gerard Butler was good as always, this time in a light dual role.

Yup, after all the hyper-dark and tragic kid's movies of the past year or two, this was a breath of fresh air!

8 out of 5.

Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:54 pm
htm

I'm a Foster-holic, so I have this a chance via surfthechannel and thought it was a cute kid's film. Pretty damn harmless.

Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:02 am
Cream of the Crop

Finally saw it tonight. I really liked it. Grade: A-

Joy

PS: Gerard Butler is extra-hot clean-shaven with glasses.

Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

tina_als_girl wrote:
Finally saw it tonight. I really liked it. Grade: A-

Joy

PS: Gerard Butler is extra-hot clean-shaven with glasses.

I suppose I have to see this one now. :P

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:46 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

LOL... Well, Gerard Butler is hot anytime, but having him DOUBLE-time in this movie is awesome. We get the beautiful Scottish accent and the scruffy, long-haired look, then we get American-accented (which was pretty good, though I heard his Scottish inflections a couple times) and the clean-shaven, short-haired, glasses look.

I am really enjoying these movies that feature authors meeting or talking to their characters; Stranger Than Fiction was awesome, and so was this. I hope there are more movies in the future to use that type of idea--I can start a collection! LOL

Joy

Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:19 am
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

The strongest point of this movie is how it was so harmless. With Abigail Breslin came close as a second great thing in this film. The rest was just meh. It's uneven, a typical good-heart family flick with nothing really interesting.

C

PS. kids loved it.

Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]