Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Pan's Labyrinth 

What grade would you give this film?
A 76%  76%  [ 37 ]
B 22%  22%  [ 11 ]
C 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 49

Pan's Labyrinth 
now we know

Post Pan's Labyrinth

Quote:
Pan's Labyrinth (Spanish: El Laberinto del Fauno, "The Faun's Labyrinth") is a 2006 Mexican Spanish-language fantasy film, written and directed by Mexican film-maker Guillermo del Toro. It was produced and distributed by the Mexican film company Esperanto Films. The film was selected by the Academia Mexicana de Artes y Ciencias Cinematográficas (English: Mexican Academy of Film Arts and Sciences) to represent the country in the Oscars for Best Foreign Language Film.

Pan's Labyrinth takes place in Spain in May–June 1944, five years after the Spanish Civil War, during the early Francoist period. The narrative of the film interweaves this real world with a fantasy world centered around an overgrown abandoned labyrinth and a mysterious faun creature, with which the main character, Ofelia, interacts. Ofelia's stepfather, the Falangist Captain Vidal, hunts the Spanish Maquis who fight against the Fascist reign in the region, while Ofelia's pregnant mother grows increasingly ill. Ofelia meets several strange and magical creatures who become central to her story, leading her through the trials of the old labyrinth garden. The film employs make-up, animatronics and CGI effects to bring to life its creatures.

Del Toro stated that he considers the story to be a parable, influenced by fairy tales, and that it addresses and continues themes related to his earlier film The Devil's Backbone (2001), to which Pan's Labyrinth is a spiritual successor, according to del Toro in his director's commentary on the DVD. The original Spanish title refers to the mythological fauns of Roman mythology, while the English, German, and French titles refers specifically to the faun-like Greek character Pan. However, del Toro has stated that the faun in the film is not Pan.

The film premiered at the 2006 Cannes Film Festival. It was released in the United Kingdom on November 24, 2006. In the United States and Canada, the film was given a limited release on December 29, 2006, with a wide release on January 19, 2007. Pan's Labyrinth has won numerous international awards, including three Academy Awards, the Ariel Award for Best Picture and the 2007 Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form. The movie was filmed in a Scots Pine forest situated in the Guadarrama mountain range, Central Spain.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:51 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

An extreme dissapointment. If your expecting a lot of fantasy, well you wont see much of it. its more of a dramatic film.

Its visually stunning and boy, Guillermo del Toro has an imagination, great work by him... but the story was way to boring and uninteresting, the sequences were long and they contribute very little to the story. There were a lot of scenes that werent needed at all and others that really didnt make any sense. It was very unsatisfying especially the ending.

There was just one great scene IMO, when the guy with the sloppy skins appears.. that was awesome! :happy: ....but yeah...

Sadly a C

Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:29 pm
Hatchling

Really. Well I still think this looks amazing and the 18 reviews on RT do say that it is amazing, so I can't wait for this movie.

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

It's a very good film. I do wish the fantasy bits were a bit more fantastical instead of just grim.

Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:53 am
Squee

I really really really want to see this movie. I hope it's released near me. It stands a good chance of being my #1 movie of the year, cause it hasn't been that strong of a year with the movies I have seen. This movie cannot come out soon enough!

:glare:

Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:16 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Very enjoyable movie with a good balance between the fantasy and reality segments. Surprisingly violent in places as well.

A

Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:10 pm
Star Trek XI

I was a little disappointed with Pans still an excellent movie but not as good as I'd hoped. Perhaps my expectations were just to high.

B+

Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:22 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

I thought there would be more fantasy in it, but the parts in the real world were surprisingly interesting.

B+

Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:57 am
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

It was a pure drama with a bit touch of fantasy.

It was brilliantly directed, the performance is good all around. The story matchs the reality world with fantasy world perfectly. And the visual is absolutely stunning. Like I said, there's not much on fantasy part, but when it went there, the fantasy world was creatively crafted, so rich in detail.

But what makes this movie a winner, is the touching ending, unexpected surprisingly deeply touching.

I can't say more.. it'll ruin the movie. Just a bottom line; one of the year very best.

**** out of ***** (A-)

(One thing that I hated about this movie's hype; everyone calls this movie 'a fantasy movie'. Well, actually it could be called 'a fantasy movie'. The elements of being 'fantasy flick' were there. But I don't want this movie to be hyped as fantasy. Most people will be disappointed.)

Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:41 am
Extraordinary

Though at first I thought it was a little light on the fairy part of the story, in the end it dawned on me that the whole "real world" setting during the war in Spain was the true fairy tale. And of course, this is the old school kind of fairy tale -- dark, dark, dark -- a frightening lesson for kids usually, but in this case, for adults.

Acting is solid throughout, the design is splendid, and the story consistent and carried through to it's natural conclusion (rare these days).

I can't imagine this one having a broad audience, it's quite the downer -- but for those who have tasted of the dark side of fairy tales, it is a welcome bitter draught...

5 out of 5.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:17 am
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Pretty good decent movie. I liked it but not as much as the critics did. There seems to be alot less focus on the fairy tale story than it does in the war in Spain. Its pretty much 75% war movie and just 25% fantasy. Basically to sum it up its like Never Ending Story if you put the the setting in the 1940s with a kid coming from a broken home as the lead

B/B+

Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:25 pm
Cream of the Crop

Peter Penis Pan
Peter Penis Parker

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:36 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

Pretty good decent movie. I liked it but not as much as the critics did. There seems to be alot less focus on the fairy tale story than it does in the war in Spain. Its pretty much 75% war movie and just 25% fantasy. Basically to sum it up its like Never Ending Story if you put the the setting in the 1940s with a kid coming from a broken home as the lead

B/B+

I've got to say, I was quite looking forward to Pan's Labyrinth, but I thought it blew chunks.

Actually, that's not really fair; I thought it was a ballsy film and original, but it just bored the crap out of me. Plus, the premise of the film and the script would (I submit) have really blossomed if the director used some real visual contrast between the scenes with some magic in, and the scenes without. It was just too samey. What's the real world like? Grim, drippy, full of mud. What's the unseen world of magic like? Grim, drippy, full of mud. Ooh, the stick insects turn into fairies!! What do the fairies look like? Stick insects. Brill.

My one exception to that was the brilliant scene featuring Edward Eyeball-Hands. I don't like twee fantasy, but this showed how a scene can be colourful and vivid and still "dark". It reminded me for obvious reasons of Hieronymous Bosch. More of that would've been better. I was expecting a sort of chiaroscuro. I wanted the heroine to slip endlessly between a brightly-lit fantasy world and a miry, shadowy, less real reality. Instead I felt like I had to buy a new pair of trainers when the film ended, since I'd spent the whole film knee-deep in mud. Mud! I hate mud.

Sorry, not very coherant, but there it is.

Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:20 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

...the premise of the film and the script would (I submit) have really blossomed if the director used some real visual contrast between the scenes with some magic in, and the scenes without. It was just too samey. What's the real world like? Grim, drippy, full of mud. What's the unseen world of magic like? Grim, drippy, full of mud. Ooh, the stick insects turn into fairies!! What do the fairies look like? Stick insects. Brill....

Errr... wasn't that the point of the director's use of visual design?

:-k

Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:10 pm
Speed Racer

Dr Jam wrote:
...the premise of the film and the script would (I submit) have really blossomed if the director used some real visual contrast between the scenes with some magic in, and the scenes without. It was just too samey. What's the real world like? Grim, drippy, full of mud. What's the unseen world of magic like? Grim, drippy, full of mud. Ooh, the stick insects turn into fairies!! What do the fairies look like? Stick insects. Brill....

Errr... wasn't that the point of the director's use of visual design?

:-k

I'm not necessarily saying that it wasn't deliberate - just that it wasn't to my taste.

Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
Squee

Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:23 pm
New Server, Same X

Anyhow, I thought it was really good, as well.

Grade: A-

And, there was a lot less fantasy than I had expected, but that wasn't a big problem at all.

Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:40 pm
Extraordinary

Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:07 am
Extraordinary

Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:07 am
Forum General

Hmm, this might be the best movie I've seen from the past three years. I need to see this again.

I was especially impressed by Ivana Baquero and Maribel Verdú.

A+

Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:11 am
On autopilot for the summer

Lets see, I didnt know exactly what the film was about when I saw it. But it was much different than I thought it was. The plot outside of the fantasy elements was for the most part nothing you've never seen before, its merely in Spanish. The mother that marries an overbearing asshole who happens to be Fascist, peasants are revolting, and their are traitors. But what, I wasn't really bored as it was suprisingly very violent, and I was honestly covering my eyes in some scenes

(The bottle and the knife scene were rediculous)

I wish there was more fantasy elements. I was expecting more of that, but it was a very engaging tale, with an ending that can be interpreted either as very touching, or absolutely depressing, thats what did it for me.

Solid A from me

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:19 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Wow, what an AMAZING movie! I never expected this to be such an utterly unforgettable and magical film. This is an instant masterpiece and easily one of the best and most moving films of the year. Aside from the spectacular visuals and remarkable special effects, director Guillermo del Toro has crafted a story that taps into our imagination and rekindles a sense of childlike wonder we may have forgetten with age. Performances are across the board fantastic, with young star Ivana Baquero particularly standing out. Sergi Lopez is also great as the menacing villain of the picture and Maribel Verdu is wonderful as the symapthetic housekeeper who Ofelia (Baquero) instantly bonds with. Incredibly intense and somewhat disturbing at times, this is also a movie that will surely capture your interest and have you engrossed until the final frame. Not only the best foreign film I have ever seen, but it's one of the best fantasy films ever made as well. A must-see for anyone who truly considers themselves a film fan. Prepare to be amazed.

Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:05 pm
Profile YIM
Motherfuckin' sexual

A+

Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:35 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Even though I rated Pan's Labyrinth 5 out of 5, and quite "enjoyed" it... at least as much as anyone could enjoy a brutal tale such as this, I am shocked at the generally slobbering reviews of this movie. Despite it's good points, there was no danger of this film being on my 2006 Top Ten List...

Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:54 am
Squee

Even though I rated Pan's Labyrinth 5 out of 5, and quite "enjoyed" it... at least as much as anyone could enjoy a brutal tale such as this, I am shocked at the generally slobbering reviews of this movie. Despite it's good points, there was no danger of this film being on my 2006 Top Ten List...

Well it isn't hard for someone like myself who has seen 11 movies in 2006.

Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next