Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Deck the Halls 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Deck the Halls 
now we know

Post Deck the Halls
Deck the Halls

Quote:
Deck the Halls is a 2006 family comedy film set during the Christmas season in Massachusetts. It stars Danny DeVito, Matthew Broderick, Kristin Davis, and Kristin Chenoweth and is directed by John Whitesell.

Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:27 am
Profile WWW
King Albert!

It didn't really feel like a real movie. But still, I enjoyed it. Since I am a Christmas freak, this is very Christmasy, thats what I looked for, and it delivers.

Overall, I thought it was kinda cute. It had some nice chuckles. Kinda reminded me of National Lampoons Christmas Vacation.

Grade: B

Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:10 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

[font=century gothic]I kind of liked it. I think it's smarter than the TV spots give it credit for (Though not by much). It's not really a kid's movie, even though it's PG and has some of the sight gags of a kid's film. Besides a character who's 10 years old (Yet seems to be at least 13 in the way he acts), there is not a character a little kid could relate to. That in a way is the film's fault and yet is why it is as good as it is. Don't get me wrong, this isn't high art or anything, even when it comes to Christmas films, but it's better than what it should've been.

Although they are advertising the over the top physical gags - the scene in the manger, the sleigh, etc. A lot of the laughs though come from the smaller moments. For instance, there is a scene in the film where DeVito and Broderick's character's get turned on from girl's dancing in Santa outfits, with Broderick shouting out "Who's your daddy!". When you see the film, you can see the upcoming twist coming from miles away, and that it's not just random dancers, but it's their daughters dancing on stage. In most of these kind of films, the character's would make a funny face and that would be the end of the scene. Here, it goes one step further to showing the two fathers in a church, washing their eyes with Holy Water. I'm not saying it's the best gag I've ever seen (I liked it), but at least the film tries.

My basic problems ......

**(Despite the fact that we are supposed to believe Buddy put up all the lights buy himself, and constructed a video display on the roof - and another scene involving DeVito and Broderick putting up a light display as a gesture to their wives to show they care, that apparently covers most of the town, and we're supposed to believe this happens in a couple of hours) **

with the film are that it runs a little too long (It says 93 minutes on Yahoo, but I don't buy it) and that's it's way too sentimental at the end of the film, even for a Christmas film. When everyone started holding up their cell phones in the air to give off light after Buddy's light's went out and then begin singing a Christmas carol - give me a break.

Okay, I've spent too much time overanalyzing this.

C+

** Two small notes **

It gets bonus points for being set in Massachusetts, although it's in a fictional town.

And what the hell was Kal Penn doing in this film?[/font]

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:31 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

[font=century gothic]

My basic problems ......

...it runs a little too long (It says 93 minutes on Yahoo, but I don't buy it) and that's it's way too sentimental at the end of the film, even for a Christmas film. When everyone started holding up their cell phones in the air to give off light after Buddy's light's went out and then begin singing a Christmas carol - give me a break.

Okay, I've spent too much time overanalyzing this.

C+

And what the hell was Kal Penn doing in this film?[/font]

Yeah, the film drags alot for a film that is only 93 minutes and that ending is awful. Sort of reminded me of the ending to 'Pay It Forward' even though they're two completely different types of films.

And Kal Penn is in everything these days :lol: He played one of Lex Luthor's henchman in Superman too, another role in which he serves little purpose.

Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:48 am
Wallflower

Post Re: Deck the Halls
DECK THE HALLS - 7/10 ( B )

A shockingly enjoyable holiday themed comedy. I wasn't planning on ever watching it, but am glad I ended up doing so. It's not something great, but it's perfectly watchable. It's much better than the pathetic Christmas With The Kranks, which I was reminded of from the previews. Anyone who liked that (I can't imagine who could have) will surely enjoy this.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:59 am
now we know

Post Re: Deck the Halls
It loses its way in the final quarter, gets a bit soppy, but on the whole it is an enjoyable Christmas film. It has that same levity, charm, and warmth as Jingle All the Way, but it's basically a lighter and Christmasier version of The Cable Guy, with Danny DeVito as Matthew Broderick's pest replacing Jim Carrey. Broderick is made to play boring, straight-laced, losers that strangely end up with the hottest girl in town.

It is a nice film, though. And DeVito's family are gorgeous. In fact, both the wives in this film are top totty. The film could have exploited that a bit more.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]