Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Lords of Dogtown 

What grade would you give this film?
A 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Lords of Dogtown 
College Boy Z

Post Lords of Dogtown
Lords of Dogtown

Quote:
Lords of Dogtown is a 2005 biographical film directed by Catherine Hardwicke, written by Stacy Peralta. The film is based on the story of "The Z-Boys", an influential group of skateboarders who revolutionized the sport. The movie is dedicated to the memory of comedian Mitch Hedberg, who appears in the movie but died before the film was released. This was also the first film to be released by both TriStar Pictures and Columbia Pictures which are both trademark by Sony Pictures Entertainment. The film was originally to be released by 20th Century Fox; however, the film was eventually sent to Sony instead.

The film has a close relationship with Thrashin', the 1986 original skateboarding cult classic, directed by David Winters, where Catherine Hardwicke began her career in motion pictures as a production designer and had a chance to work with many famous skaters including the real Tony Alva, Tony Hawk, Christian Hosoi and Steve Caballero.

Last edited by zingy on Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:03 pm
Teenage Dream

Good skateboard scenes, but a dull bad plot with mostly unknown stars. C (might drop)

Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:44 pm
Aslan Reigns Supreme

I havent seen yet but i wanna see it. The reason i am posting is how are heath ledger and johnny knoxville unknown?

3.Click
4.Over the Hedge
5.See No Evil

Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:08 pm
Teenage Dream

I havent seen yet but i wanna see it. The reason i am posting is how are heath ledger and johnny knoxville unknown?

Besides them. The majority of the cast. I don't remember seeing Johnny in the film. I probably didn't recognize him.

Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:11 pm
Where will you be?

Emmy's wdw04 wrote:

Besides them. The majority of the cast. I don't remember seeing Johnny in the film. I probably didn't recognize him.

He played the rich guy that helped set up Tony Alva.

Anyways, it was a damn good movie, a huge amount of fun and very well made. Much better then I was expecting. The performances were all at the very least decent, though I was honestly shocked just how good Heath Ledger's "Val Kilmer gone wonky" performance was. B+

Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:07 pm
College Boy Z

Not really a 'bad' movie, but I just wasn't into it as much as I thought I would be.

Just...bleh. C

Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:14 pm
Lord of filth

It wasn't any good really. Overcooked. They skipped a lot of the history of the Z-boys and went straight into all-skateboarding.

Watch the documentary Dogtown and Z-Boys instead.

Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:56 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Very disjointed and sloppy film. It has it's moments of enjoyment, but is overshadowed by a lazy deliverly and story arch.

Grade - C-

Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:52 am
You must have big rats

I'm not sure why, but this movie REALLY clicked well with me. I am not even into skateboarding myself. I thought it was a very well-told coming-of-age story and a good description of the usual rise 'n fall story. It is melancholic at times, very clichéd at others...but it is never boring. Heath Ledger delivers a great performance in this one. Man, last year was really great for him. He was phenomenal in Brokeback Mountain, but his turn in this one really shouldn't be underestimated either.

Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]