Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Flushed Away 

What grade would you give this film?
A 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
B 73%  73%  [ 8 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

Flushed Away 
now we know

Post Flushed Away
Flushed Away

Quote:
Flushed Away is a 2006 computer animated British film directed by David Bowers and Sam Fell. It is a partnership between Aardman Animations of Wallace and Gromit fame, and DreamWorks Animation, and is Aardman's first completely computer-animated feature as opposed to the usual stop-motion.

The film stars the voice talents of Hugh Jackman, Kate Winslet, Andy Serkis, Bill Nighy, Ian McKellen, Shane Richie and Jean Reno. The story was by Sam Fell, Peter Lord, Dick Clement, and Ian La Frenais, and the screenplay was written by Dick Clement, Ian La Frenais, Christopher Lloyd, Joe Keenan, and William Davies.

The film was released in movie theatres on November 3, 2006, and is distributed by Paramount Pictures, except for Switzerland, Spain, and the Netherlands, which were handled by Universal Pictures.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:04 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

My second favorite CGI movie. Seriously. Combining Dreamwork's rapid fire style with Aardman's endless creativity of wit, it's a case of the best of both worlds. With a fantastic voice cast and some of the most clever set pieces of the year - Ian McKellan's diabolical plan is one of the most inventively great ones I can ever remember - it's a knockout. I liked it more then anything else Aardman has put out. A-

Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:18 pm
Superman: The Movie

[font=century gothic]I originally went to see Flushed Away as a time killer and nothing more. I'm happy to say that it was a lot more than that. It was an enjoyable comedy that pretty much seems to work for all ages.

I really enjoyed all of the voice talents, from Hugh Jackman to Jean Reno. Everyone involved gives the film an extra boost of energy that something like Madagascar was sorely lacking.

Another thing that I enjoyed were the brief nods to other films. I noticed, X-Men (The Wolverine suit was a nice gag), Bond and Finding Nemo right away at the beginning, followed by a nod to their characters Wallace & Gromit on board the boat. It was little touches like these that made the film even more enjoyable.

B+[/font]

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

[font=century gothic]I originally went to see Flushed Away as a time killer and nothing more. I'm happy to say that it was a lot more than that. It was an enjoyable comedy that pretty much seems to work for all ages.

I really enjoyed all of the voice talents, from Hugh Jackman to Jean Reno. Everyone involved gives the film an extra boost of energy that something like Madagascar was sorely lacking.

Another thing that I enjoyed were the brief nods to other films. I noticed, X-Men (The Wolverine suit was a nice gag), Bond and Finding Nemo right away at the beginning, followed by a nod to their characters Wallace & Gromit on board the boat. It was little touches like these that made the film even more enjoyable.

B+[/font]

There were a number of other nods, such as the rabbits in his house. I do hope other people on the forum see this, considering how negative everyone was acting about it I think there's a LOT of people who will be very pleasantly surprised by this.

Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:24 pm

Did you guys see the frozen Han Solo in The Toad's lair.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:52 pm

jmart007 wrote:

B+[/font]

There were a number of other nods, such as the rabbits in his house. I do hope other people on the forum see this, considering how negative everyone was acting about it I think there's a LOT of people who will be very pleasantly surprised by this.[/quote

Its on my to see list now, so if it disappoints I'll be bitching to you!

Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:01 pm
Extraordinary

Quite good, not Aardman's best, but still drawing on the rich tradition of British humor. The claymation technique successfully translated to cgi, something I was anxious about and pleased to see. Now we can see Aardman's storytelling annually instead of only after 6 years stuck in a warehouse slowly moving bits of plastercine about. My one complaint was that it was a bit too action-oriented. Instead of using those 84 precious minutes of running time for more delightful time building up the characters and story, there were just a couple too many furiously high speed chase scenes for me. The voice work was solid throughout and the music courtesy of the hilarious slugs was terrific.

Second best animated film of 2006 (after Over the Hedge)!

5 out of 5.

Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:15 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Great stuff. Aardman have never made a bad production yet and this is no exception. Still thou I can understand how this underpreformed in the USA. It has a very Euro-centric sense of humour and a lot of the in-jokes will only be got if you lived in the British Isles.

A

Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:10 pm
loyalfromlondon

Surprisingly good mix of action-packed slapstick and sharp-witted humour. I was somewhat less-than-enthralled with the trailer, which made this look like a toilet humour-heavy kid's flick, but the actual product was pretty funny, with lots of clever nods to other films and tons of dry British humour. The story was a nice twist on the old cliché, and the voice acting was pretty good all around. Bill Nighy's Whitey and Jean Reno's Le Frog were both hilarious, and everyone else was solid - save for Ian McKellan, who really went over-the-top in his evilness. The music was pretty effective, and the little asides with the slugs were another nice touch. Really a pleasant surprise.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:52 pm
life begins now

Post Re: Flushed Away
I'll echo most of the sentiments others have. I loved the British humor here, even moreso than I usually do. The voice-acting was great, especially Kate Winslet. She sure does shine at everything she does (I recently watched the first season of Extras and she was so hilarious in her episode). It was a little short...I thought at least 15 or 20 minutes could have been added to flesh out the story/characters a bit more.

B+

Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:52 pm
Profile YIM
The Lubitsch Touch

Passable, but, when you boil it down, it's the first real disappointment from Aardman.

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:11 am
You must have big rats

Wow, this was a huge surprise and flat-out the best CG-animated flick I have seen in years now. Full of sharp humor (which I'd agree with Gulli is, indeed, very Euro-centric) and several aforementioned nods to other films, this was a blast to watch. I was well-written, solidly animated and filled with good voicework. What probably surprised me the most was how action-packed it was and how well the action was executed for an animated film like this one. The central boat chase in the film is terrific, especially with "Bohemian Like You" playing in the background. It was well-filmed and really exciting. Speaking of the song...the movie was loaded with great songs that were all presented in great ways (most of them sung by the slugs). The slugs were awesome, by the way.

The jokes almost all worked very well, some of them having me laughing outloud (like: "England loses in Penalties" :hahaha: ) or pretty much all of the scenes with Whitey and Spike, the "gangster-rats". The movie was a blast and far superior to the overrated let-down that was Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit. This was Aardman/park at their best, even though they didn't direct it, it's their humor sprinkled all over the film. I still can't believe how much I enjoyed it. It was not deep or profound. Its message is very simple and the way it's brought across is just as simplem but it's just such an exhilarating fun thrillride that I just enjoyed every minute of it.

Speaking of the minutes, its major flaw was being waaayy too short with its 73 minutes running time without the credits. Maybe that was the reason how it could sustain all the fun throughout the film, but I still felt that it was too short and there was more of a story to be told. Too bad that of all animated flicks, this one failed at the box-office. It is truly something special. Seek it out, folks!

Last edited by Dr. Lecter on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:56 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Post Re:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

The jokes almost all worked very well, some of them haing me laughing outloud (like: "England loses in Penalties" :hahaha: )

You Germans would have loved that joke alright :P

Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:06 pm
You must have big rats

Post Re: Re:
Gulli wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

The jokes almost all worked very well, some of them haing me laughing outloud (like: "England loses in Penalties" :hahaha: )

You Germans would have loved that joke alright :P

Sure we did :D

Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Glad someone bumped this back. I rewatched it again, for the 3rd time, recently, and every time, enjoy it just as much. Brilliantly written and directed, wonderfully acted... really, I can't find a flaw.

I'm not sure why it didn't catch on. People said "No one wants to see a movie about rats!" and then Pixar comes along a year later...

Great quotes:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tadpole: Is it the Glorious Amphibian Dawn, dad?
Toad: Anything for you, my little man.
Tadpole: Can I have a pony?
Toad: No.
Tadpole: A puppy?
Toad: We'll talk about it.
Tadpole: Can we talk about it now?
Toad: No!
[All the tadpoles start asking for puppies]
Toad: No, you can't all have puppies! Please, daddy's working!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roddy: Whatever's going on, I assure you, I'm not involved. I'm just an innocent bystander.
Spike: Rita, Rita, Rita.
[laughs]
Spike: Thought you could give us the slip?
[Slips and falls]
Spike: What are you looking at? Keep still! Come on, then! Right! Who have we got here?
Whitey: I believe he said his name was Millicent Bystander.

Rita: This is quite tasty.
Roddy: Thanks. I don't think it's too bad, considering I only had an apple, four raisins and a box of rice.
Rita: Rice?
Slug: [singing] What's that urge from deep inside? / The need to hurl won't be denied / That isn't rice, that's maggots you're eating.
Maggots: Larva, larva, larva...
Roddy: Well. That explains why it all ran to one side when I put salt in it.

Le Frog: You stupid English, with your Yorkshire puddings and your chips and fish!

Roddy: [hanging on to Rita's belt as it starts to break] No, no don't break! There are things I want to do, sights I want to see.
[belt breaks; Rita's pants drop]
Roddy: That wasn't on the list.

Action Figure: Give up your weapons of mass destruction! Come and get me, enemy of freedom!

Rita: Tell me about yourself, Roddy.
Roddy: Well, there's not much to tell.
Rita: You know everything about me, warts and all. I don't even know what you do.
Roddy: I'm... I'm in a boy band.
Rita: What?
Roddy: Yeah. Yeah, I'm the posh one.

Spike: Blimy, it's cold.
Whitey: That's why I wore me mittens.
Spike: Wha... Hitmen don't wear mittens! Take them off! You're embarrasing me!
Whitey: It's all right for you. You've got little hands. They don't freeze as much.
Spike: They're small but these are lethal weapons, these are.
Whitey: You got your mother's hands.

Slug: High five!
[He realizes he has no hands]
Slug: Oh, yeah.

Toad: You find my pain amusing?
Le Frog: I find everyone's pain amusing, except my own... I'm French!

Spike: Any last requests?
Roddy: Yes. Could you fly, quite suddenly, off the boat, screaming like a girl?
Spike: What?
[Is jerked off the boat by a cord]
Spike: AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Le Frog: We leave immediately!
[strides off screen]
Henchfrog #1: What about supper?
Le Frog: [strides back on screen] We leave in five hours!

Le Frog: To action!
Henchfrogs: We surrender!
Le Frog: Not that action, you idiots! The kung-fu thing!

Fly: He's a mad man! Run away, run...
[the Toad swallows the fly]
Toad: Pardon me, my fly's undone.

Toad: You are late.
Le Frog: Fashionably late my warty English cousin. I know no other way.

Whitey: Are you sure about this, Spike? These things are dangerous.
Spike: Danger is my middle name!
Whitey: I thougth it was Lesley.

Thimblenose Ted: Hey guys, I just had a tipoff. They're heading west, to Kensington.
Spike: Bingo!
Whitey: Scrabble!
Spike: Enough games! To the Ratmobiles!

Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]