Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Little Children 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 13 ]
B 38%  38%  [ 10 ]
C 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 26

Little Children 
Kypade

Can someone expand on this?

I will see the movie this week, I hope, so I'm not sure what the difference is, or what expansion youre looking for, but in the book, basically, the husband character falls in "love" with a woman from the internet. "Slutty Kay." They do the email thing and he pays for her underwear and crap like that, and then goes out to California for one of her fan club meetings where a bunch of guys hang out on the beach naked. I dun remember much more than that.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:17 pm
invading your spaces

I don't know how much you want to be spoiled so hide your eyes if you don't...

01. They do the email thing (well he does, we only see her in pictures)
02. He gets her underwear and masturbates to it
03. He has some poloroids from her with hand written notes
04. It shows her with a group of guys in a picture at a beach (maybe it's him in the picture? I didn't see it went so fast)

But yeah, it's basically used as motivation to give Sarah the freedom to pursue her desires without remorse. Slutty Kay is never seen live in the film, although Richard does appear in the dinner scene near the 3/4 mark of the film.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Christian wrote:
^

Right! I particularly liked the Slutty Kay subplot in the book (and its resolution).

Can someone expand on this? I'm probably not ever going to read the book, but I'm curious.

I thought Richard's absense didn't bother me in the end, at least in the universe of the film, he seemed to be a busy, high-paid, slightly perverted but otherwise normal extrovert-in-hiding. His absense from the film reflected his absense from Sarah's life and helped justify her feelings without coming out and having big confrontations with Richard.

This movie wasn't really about big confrontations, which kind of made it unique.

I dunno, just thinkin' aloud.

The resolution to Richard's Slutty Kay storyline in the book escapes me, but the book does feature a section of the book featuring Richard actually meeting up with Slutty Kay and some of her other fans towards the end.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:24 pm
Kypade

I don't know how much you want to be spoiled so hide your eyes if you don't...

01. They do the email thing (well he does, we only see her in pictures)
02. He gets her underwear and masturbates to it
03. He has some poloroids from her with hand written notes
04. It shows her with a group of guys in a picture at a beach (maybe it's him in the picture? I didn't see it went so fast)

But yeah, it's basically used as motivation to give Sarah the freedom to pursue her desires without remorse. Slutty Kay is never seen live in the film, although Richard does appear in the dinner scene near the 3/4 mark of the film.
That sounds about right, except the book actually used the husband as a character. He's given thoughts and feelings and actions and such. But even in the book, his subplot was basically "motivation" for Sarah's "freedom." I'm pretty sure she finds out about it early and justifies her actions with his.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:26 pm
invading your spaces

I think it would be weird in the context of the movie for them to move out beyond the neighborhood/city in a way. The only scene that really went outside of the bubble was when Sarah picked up Brad at the train station when he was faking the Bar exam.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

I thoroughly enjoyed this. I do think the last 15 minutes has a lot to be desired. Still it's a movie that made me laugh, sick and depressed. Winslet is a breath of fresh air.

Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:54 pm
htm

Thank God for three day weekends. I'm so very excited to see it. The raves are good news...

Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:58 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Will to live leaving body. I'm Skagging bad, really bad. Fuck this movie depressed the hell out of me. Its brilliant but damn I'll need a few days to recover.

A

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:25 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

I just fucking love the character of Sarah. So fucking honest.

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:37 pm
Team Kris

When Sarah staked out in front of Brad's house, in her car, then sees what his wife looked like and she started bawling... that was great.

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:43 pm
life begins now

Little Children is probably the most underrated film of the year and I cannot believe it'll probably receive only 2 or 3 Oscar nominations. It deserves so much more. All the actors were excellent, expecially Kate Winslet and Jackie Earle Haley. The script is also excellent, as is the directing and the score.

A

Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:24 pm
Profile YIM
htm

I think it was brilliant. So touching and honest on so many levels. And the acting. It was fab. :blush:

Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:22 am
All Star Poster

I'm seriously thinking of watching this, but before i go, I just want to know if i'll get closure at the end of the movie?

Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:07 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

I'm seriously thinking of watching this, but before i go, I just want to know if i'll get closure at the end of the movie?

Yes and no.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:16 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Nope. No closure.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:19 am
Draughty

I think one reason this has been overlooked is that it's apparently not easy to say what it is about. There are a lot of movies that are multi-dimensional from Dreamgirls to Children of Men that one can still easily say the basic idea of the film in a single line. Not so with this one. That may sound trivial but to paraphrase Studio 60, sell the premise, sell the movie.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:25 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I think one reason this has been overlooked is that it's apparently not easy to say what it is about. There are a lot of movies that are multi-dimensional from Dreamgirls to Children of Men that one can still easily say the basic idea of the film in a single line. Not so with this one. That may sound trivial but to paraphrase Studio 60, sell the premise, sell the movie.

Screwed up people in suburbia?

Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:29 am
All Star Poster

Like no closure like children of men or like Cache?

Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:20 am
Profile WWW
invading your spaces

Far be it for me to disagree. But the film (in my view) does have closure and while not necessarily a "happy" ending, the characters all get to a place where they need to be.

None of the characters get what they want, but to me, part of the theme of the film is that "what you want" isn't what's good for you.

In my view, all the "main" characters escape from their previous situation and are able to move on from it, in one way or another. They've all confronted directly that part of them that was making them screwed up. So I see a lot of hope for them at the end of the film.

That's why I don't buy the film as being ultimately depressing or unclosed.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:39 pm
Profile WWW
invading your spaces

Well it's definitely not as cheesy or contrived as American Beauty...

Loyal reminds me of SluttyKay

Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77pOOmbFfbk&eurl=

Kate's character is so compelling. It might be a little over the top out of context of the film, but it's still fantastic.

I want Kate to win.
:sad:

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:18 pm
invading your spaces

"It's the hunger..."

gaaaaaaaaaah

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
htm

I like it when she says...

"It's the hunger..."

gaaaaaaaaaah

I'm not sure if I winced or if I clapped aloud. I have mixed feelings on that bit, hehe. Luckily, the rest of the scene (and film) REALLY worked. I loved her conversations with the bitchy soccer mom.

And god, the actor who played Ronnie was amazing. I felt for him.... sometimes sympathy, sometimes hate. At one moment, I hoped he would find happiness and at the next I wanted to kill him. The performances from his passionate, troubled mother and the nervous date were superb. Man, I felt awful after that post-dinner scene.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:38 pm
Sbil

"It's the hunger..."

gaaaaaaaaaah

The "It's the hunger" speech will probably be Kate Winslet's Oscar nominee clip, I'm assuming.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:52 pm
htm

andaroo.temp wrote:

"It's the hunger..."

gaaaaaaaaaah

The "It's the hunger" speech will probably be Kate Winslet's Oscar nominee clip, I'm assuming.

It best sums up her character, for sure.

It still might be a bit much... :unsure:

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next