Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Sorcerer 

Grade:
A 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Sorcerer 
Keeping it Light

Post Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorcerer is a 1977 American thriller film directed and produced by William Friedkin and starring Roy Scheider, Bruno Cremer, Francisco Rabal, and Amidou. The second adaptation of Georges Arnaud's 1950 French novel Le Salaire de la peur, it has been widely considered a remake of the 1953 film The Wages of Fear, although Friedkin disagreed with this assessment. The plot depicts four outcasts from varied backgrounds meeting in a South American village, where they are assigned to transport cargoes of aged, poorly kept dynamite that is so unstable that it is 'sweating' its dangerous basic ingredient, nitroglycerin.

Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:20 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Sorcerer
A supremely well made movie that apparently had all kinds of production issues. I suppose that makes it Friedkin's Apocalypse Now or The Shining. Lots of striking imagery and awesome music and explosions keep the movie moving along even when things get slow (like when the story resets at about 30 minutes I almost lost inerest, but they got me back by the time the trucks hit the road.) The drawbridge scenes are as thrilling as advertised. Plot wise it is somewhat similiar to Triple Frontier, but without any likeable characters. And the ending packs a huge punch.

While maybe not the best movie ever like the internet would have you believe (only recently though) Sorcerer is prime cinema. I'll give it an 8.8 for now and might even give it another watch before my Criterion Channel subscription expires at end of the month.

Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]