Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Flight of the Phoenix 

What grade would you give this film?
A 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
B 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
D 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Flight of the Phoenix 
College Boy Z

Post Flight of the Phoenix
Flight of the Phoenix

Quote:
Flight of the Phoenix is a 2004 remake of a 1965 film, both based on the 1964 novel The Flight of the Phoenix by Elleston Trevor about a group of people who survive a plane crash in the Gobi Desert and must build a new plane out of the old one to escape. The film stars Dennis Quaid, Tyrese Gibson, Hugh Laurie, Miranda Otto and Giovanni Ribisi. It opened in the US on December 17, and received mixed reviews.

Last edited by zingy on Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:18 pm
Where will you be?

I know a lot of people here have been hesitant to see this between the mixed reviews and the film being DOA. I wanted to see Meet the Focker instead, but I'm VERY glad I got pulled into this instead. Maybe it was low expectations, but I had a great time. The action was surprisingly good, sure (best plane crash I've ever seen in a movie, beating Cast Away and Pitch Black), but Giovanni Ribisi and Dennis Quaid were both very good as well. The moral dilemmas in the film were very well handled as well, though probably not as well as the original. My only complaint would be the ending. Sure, they added the nomads attacking them, but it felt a bit cheap and half baked. The rest of the movie was very solid though, and I'd definitely suggest it to anyone who was questioning whether or not to give it a shot. A-

Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:27 am
College Boy Z

I did really want to see this until I heard some bad things about it, and then that box office opening. It wasn't at the top of my list or anything, but just something that I'm going to watch when I get the chance. It does look interesting.

Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:35 am
Where will you be?

I did really want to see this until I heard some bad things about it, and then that box office opening. It wasn't at the top of my list or anything, but just something that I'm going to watch when I get the chance. It does look interesting.

Zing man, you can't hold off on a film because it dissapointed at the box office. Had you done so, you wouldn't have your seen your favorite movie of 2004. :wink:

Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:39 am
College Boy Z

Zingaling wrote:

Zing man, you can't hold off on a film because it dissapointed at the box office. Had you done so, you wouldn't have your seen your favorite movie of 2004. :wink:

No no, I'm not holding off on it because of the box office. It's just not very encouraging. :wink:

It's box office total only means that others weren't interested, which is not the case for me. I'll probably see it over Christmas break, but after Meet the Fockers.

Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:41 am
Where will you be?

MovieDude wrote:
Zingaling wrote:

No no, I'm not holding off on it because of the box office. It's just not very encouraging. :wink:

It's box office total only means that others weren't interested, which is not the case for me. I'll probably see it over Christmas break, but after Meet the Fockers.

Yeah, I suppose that's fair. As long as you see it in the theater for some of the action.

There was one thing I was somewhat dissapointed about though: MINOR SPOILERS, highlight to read: Ok, so I cut out double page color ads from the NY Times to help with my room, as I'm attempting to cover it with posters. Now on one of the Flight of the Phoenix posters from about a month before in the winter preview, it showed the nomads in the background coming down to attack, and they were all on motorcycles. Later on, I saw those clips from Lost, and in the fourth one (which is available on the main site) it showed footage of the nomads on the motorcycles and what appeared to be the character of Patch shooting back at them while on the plane. But none of that made it. When the nomads attack, they're all on the back of horses/camels. I guess it was a deleted scene, but I have no idea why they'd cut something that looked as cool as that. Anyone know what might've happened?

End minor spoilers...

Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:52 am
Where will you be?

I think I hold the record for the most number of times ANYONE not involved with the film has seen it, as I returned from my third viewing last night. Right now, it's looking to be the most under-rated of the movie of the year in my opinion. :?

Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:46 am
College Boy Z

About what I expected. The action scenes are good, but nothing to brag about. The acting is good except for Giovanni Ribisi, which gets the Most Annoying Actor of 2004 award from me. He was just too annoying. The twist near the end was pretty lame. It's a fun movie, though. Some of the scenes were really cool. Overall, it was a good movie, but nothing special.

B-

MovieDude, I agree on the plane crash. Very good. I disagree on Giovanni Ribisi, though. :wink:

Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:58 pm
Where will you be?

About what I expected. The action scenes are good, but nothing to brag about. The acting is good except for Giovanni Ribisi, which gets the Most Annoying Actor of 2004 award from me. He was just too annoying. The twist near the end was pretty lame. It's a fun movie, though. Some of the scenes were really cool. Overall, it was a good movie, but nothing special.

B-

MovieDude, I agree on the plane crash. Very good. I disagree on Giovanni Ribisi, though. :wink:

Well he wasn't meant to be likable y'know. :) Personally, I think they should have slightly changed the ending to this: (Spoilers, highlight to read) Ok, so they're taking off with the marauders close behind. The rudder gets shot and disconnected from the rest of the plane, so Giovanni Ribisi is going back to fix it. As he goes, several nomads on motorcycles catch up to the plane and begin to board. Ribisi tries to catch the line while Tyrese, or whoever has the gun, shoots one of the nomads. Finally, Eliot (Ribisi) manages to connect the two, but as he stands up, the second nomad shoots him in the leg, causing him to scream in pain then fall off. As the nomads gallop past him, a single one stops and executes him in a similar manner as he did to the nomad they captured earlier.

Now wouldn't that have been an improvement? :)

Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:57 pm
College Boy Z

Zingaling wrote:

B-

Well he wasn't meant to be likable y'know. :) Personally, I think they should have slightly changed the ending to this: (Spoilers, highlight to read) Ok, so they're taking off with the marauders close behind. The rudder gets shot and disconnected from the rest of the plane, so Giovanni Ribisi is going back to fix it. As he goes, several nomads on motorcycles catch up to the plane and begin to board. Ribisi tries to catch the line while Tyrese, or whoever has the gun, shoots one of the nomads. Finally, Eliot (Ribisi) manages to connect the two, but as he stands up, the second nomad shoots him in the leg, causing him to scream in pain then fall off. As the nomads gallop past him, a single one stops and executes him in a similar manner as he did to the nomad they captured earlier.

Definently. :D

The ending was very weak. After the rest of the movie, the ending didn't even fit.

Spoilers (Highlight): It seemed like the nomads waiting the whole movie to attack them was pretty much pointless since they couldn't even catch up to them. Ruins the whole point of them having another challenge.

Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:44 pm
Where will you be?

MovieDude wrote:
Zingaling wrote:

B-

Definently. :D

The ending was very weak. After the rest of the movie, the ending didn't even fit.

Spoilers (Highlight): It seemed like the nomads waiting the whole movie to attack them was pretty much pointless since they couldn't even catch up to them. Ruins the whole point of them having another challenge.

Well like I pointed out earlier, there was originally tons of nomads on motorcycles, and from the looks of it, they got on the plane and there was a shootout. I think that would've been cool. Oh yeah, and (SPOILERS) they really needed to redo them going over the cliff. It's not like there was a question of whether or not they'd crash at that point, it would've been cooler if it showed them spiralling down the cliff and it flying instead of nosediving right at the last second.

Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:13 pm
We had our time together

Last edited by Riggs on Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:14 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Gah! No a surprise this was a terrible film, one of the worst of the year. It was boring and pointless. I expected a fun movie, did I see the same film as you guys?

4/10 (D+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:52 am
Profile YIM WWW
now we know

This film is brilliant. The best part wasn't the plane crash though...for me it was the night fight with the Arab's (or whatever they were).

Flight of the Phoenix - B+/A-

The situations and little slight comedy were what made this film brilliant. I loved it. All i hoped for is that it made a little more money.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:30 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

entertaining, but i don't really like the ending. i grade it C

Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:16 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Gah! No a surprise this was a terrible film, one of the worst of the year. It was boring and pointless. I expected a fun movie, did I see the same film as you guys?

4/10 (D+)

I felt the exact same way. I went in expecting to be entertained and instead I was just bored out of my mind. Giovanni Ribisi gave one of 2004's very worst performances ever, he was laughably bad. This was easily one of the very worst films of last year.

4/10 (D+)

Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:58 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

movies35 wrote:

4/10 (D+)

I felt the exact same way. I went in expecting to be entertained and instead I was just bored out of my mind. Giovanni Ribisi gave one of 2004's very worst performances ever, he was laughably bad. This was easily one of the very worst films of last year.

4/10 (D+)

Yay!! I'm glad someone agrees with me!

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:13 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Post Re: Flight of the Phoenix
This is one of the most horribly underrated filmed released this decade.

A masterclass in character and suspense for popcorn cinema and if you don't find this film enjoyable I feel sorry for you.

Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:18 am
Orphan

Entertaining little actioner with an effective performance by Giovanni Ribisi and Dennis Quaid. Fun movie that is one of few effective remakes. Too bad it essentially bombed, grossing $21,009,180 total.

Grade - A solid B.

Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:36 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

To invite mocking I will say the following.

This film is one of the best of the decade and superior to the original. I adore it and its probably in my all time top 20.

Yes im watching it for like the 30th time atm which has caused this odd post.

Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:05 am
loyalfromlondon

Hugh Laurie (pre-House) is awesome in this and the use of Massive Attack's "Angel" (although ripped off from Snatch) is fantastic. The rest of the movie kinda blows, though.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:14 pm
On autopilot for the summer

This is a really fun film, and I always find myself watching it. As far as remakes go, it is pointless as it really does not do all that much different than the original outside of updating it. But it does a very solid job (Unlike say Psycho 98) The cast is rounded out pretty well (I'm looking at you Brotherhood leader from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade that I've never seen in any other film!) and Quaid and Ribisi are great. I find Ribisi annoying but in an intentional, I hate that guy, kind of way. There are real great moments of tension throughout and nice moments and the production design is truly great. The ending is a bit weak as is the whole nomad subplot with very little payoff, but I enjoy this film overall. If you've never seen it, I recommend checking it out.

B+

And Dennis Quaid is friggin ripped in this! I always laugh when he's walking to the plane shirtless only to have a shirt on in the very next scene.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]