Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Hook 

What grade would you give this film?
A 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
B 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
C 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 13

Hook 
College Boy Z

Post Hook
Hook

Quote:
Hook is a 1991 American fantasy film directed by Steven Spielberg. The film stars Robin Williams, Dustin Hoffman, Julia Roberts, Bob Hoskins, and features Maggie Smith, Caroline Goodall, Charlie Korsmo, and Amber Scott. Hook acts as a sequel to Peter Pan's original adventures, focusing on a grown-up Peter who has forgotten his childhood. Now known as "Peter Banning", he is a successful corporate lawyer with a wife and two children. Captain Hook kidnaps his two children, and he must return to Neverland and reclaim his youthful spirit as Peter Pan in order to challenge his old enemy.

Spielberg began developing the film in the early-1980s with Walt Disney Productions and Paramount Pictures, which would have followed the storyline seen in the 1953 animated film and 1924 silent film. Peter Pan entered pre-production in 1985, but Spielberg abandoned the project. James V. Hart developed the script with director Nick Castle and TriStar Pictures before Spielberg decided to direct in 1989. Hook was shot entirely on sound stages at Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City, California. The film received mainly negative reviews by critics, but was a success with audiences, grossing over $300 million worldwide, and was nominated for multiple categories at the 64th Academy Awards. It also spawned merchandise, including video games and comic book adaptations.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:55 pm
Devil's Advocate

A fun movie, well acted by Williams and Hoffman. Also visually splendid, it perfectly creates the pan universe.

Forcing a relationship between Peter and Tinkerbell is an awful choice though.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:12 pm
All Star Poster

I love this film, one of Speilberg's best

A

Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:49 am
Teenage Dream

Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:36 pm
Superman: The Movie

I haven't seen this film in years. I'm not sure if it would work well for me today as it it did when I was a little kid, but from what I can remember, I think the critics were a little too harsh on the film. I thought it was very good.

A- for now.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:40 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Its one of the few films that was trashed by critics and didnt do amazing business, 120 million was still very good for Domestic. Its funny though for apparently all the people that hate this movie, I've yet to find one of them, Hoffman is agreat, Williams is awesome, and its pan like we've never seen him, its intriguing, great story, great scory, action and effects. I really dont see the problems.

A

"Good form Peter"

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:21 am
You must have big rats

I know this was bashed when it just came out and still people are generally unkind to the film, so I am surprised to see the good grades here. I never got why critics hated it. It's very solid family entertainment with a truly great Dustin Hoffman. Certainly a better film than the recent Peter Pan movie.

Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:39 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Hook
One of my childhood favourites; I also think it's better than it's given credit for. Lots of fun and Hoffman is a terrific Hook.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:04 pm
New Server, Same X

Watched this for the first time, and after reading so many "It's not as bad as critics said" comments, I was expecting a lot better. But I had no connection with it at all. Somehow this one slipped by me as a kid and I never saw it, despite it being released during my childhood, so I'm likely missing someone nostalgia factor. Although I never saw The Goonies until a few years ago and still loved it.

Still, Robin Williams is a compelling lead, which makes me sad more than anything that he never really got to be an A-lister like he should have been for his acting. The 90s were so kind to him for film, and then he really dropped off, save for a few solid roles.

C

Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:19 pm
Hold the door!

The London bits are fun, and the Neverland bits are certainly better than Pan, but they really drag, and the film feels too long. Decent, but still not the great live action Peter Pan you would want.

B

Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:46 pm
now we know

Childhood classic. "Rufio! Rufio! Rufio! Rufio!"

A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:13 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

zwackerm wrote:
The London bits are fun, and the Neverland bits are certainly better than Pan, but they really drag, and the film feels too long. Decent, but still not the great live action Peter Pan you would want.

B

Totally agree with this.

I decided to give this a second viewing, as I felt I was too harsh on it initially. And I was. But it does warrant much of the criticism levied against it since 1991, even by Spielberg himself. The film suffers from not properly filling out its long running time. I think two hours and twenty minutes is necessary to tell this story the way it is told, but it never makes proper use of its time.

Hook could have been something special if it was made even five years later. I don't believe Spielberg had the proper tools at his disposal to make the film he wanted to make almost thirty years ago. And it looks terribly drab at times, especially in the normal scenes, but even Neverland comes across as boring visually. The limitations in the early '90s are to blame, in my opinion.

But there's a lot to enjoy too. It's incredibly ambitious, and Spielberg does do enough that I don't think it's a complete disaster. It certainly isn't as bad as he makes it out to be, and doesn't deserve the 26% on Rotten Tomatoes. Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman are terrific. It's just that Hook is never quite the experience it should be, which is a shame.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]