Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Silver Streak 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Silver Streak 
College Boy Z

Post Silver Streak
Silver Streak

Quote:
Silver Streak is a 1976 comedy-thriller film about murder on a Los Angeles-to-Chicago train journey. It stars Gene Wilder, Jill Clayburgh, Richard Pryor, Patrick McGoohan and Ned Beatty and is directed by Arthur Hiller. The film score is by Henry Mancini. This film marked the first pairing of Wilder and Pryor, who would be paired in three more films.

Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:33 pm
Award Winning Bastard

I forgot to comment on this, and it's on AMC right now, so it reminded me. This was the first pairing of Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor, and it's and excellent preview of what was to come in Stir Crazy. Written by Collin Higgins, who had a great handle on comedy mixed with suspense. Foul Play and Silver Streak are the types of comedies that I wouldn't mind seeing more of today.

It features Richard Kiel before his famous turn as "Jaws" in the James Bond films, and also Clifton James, who basically plays the same law enforcement officer that he had just played in Live and Let Die and The Man With the Golden Gun.

It features a very talented supporting cast, featuring Ned Beatty, Jill Clayburgh, Ray Walston, Scatman Crothers, Fred Willard, and Patrick McGoohan. Pryor is actually in a supporting role in this, too. It's Gene Wilder's movie.

A

Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:43 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Great movie, this was Gene Wilder's prime as an actor and comedian that lasted from the early 70s to the early 80s. Though he was still funny before and after this time, he was seriously the shit. Who would have thought this film equates to over 150 million today. It also helps that Ned Beaty and Richard Pryor are also great supporting characters. I agree with Mav over this and foul play. I dont think this is my favorite Pryor and Wilder pairing because face its more about Wilder, but its dam funny entertaining and suspensful.

Silver Streak- A
Stir Crazy A
See no Evil Hear no Evil A

I havent seen Another You, but from what I hear Pryor's failing illness was much more evident by their 4th pairing and wasnt that good.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:40 pm
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: Silver Streak
It's not what I expected. To be fair I knew very little about the movie except for the three leads and that the train was called Silver Streak. I expected a Gene Wilder/Richard Pryor buddy comedy and it is that. It just doesn't begin until an hour into the film (63 minutes - thanks IMDb!). The first hour and then mixed in with the buddy comedy element in the second hour, is a thriller, and I think a takeoff on Hitchcock. It all makes for an odd mix that takes a long time to get going.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I just kept waiting for Richard Pryor to show up. Is he going to show up once after the professor gets murdered? Is he going to show up after Wilder gets thrown off the train for the first time and then takes the flight (this is a 10 minute sequence that brings the film to a dead stop). Is he even on the train? Okay, I guess not. Maybe he'll appear after the second time Wilder gets thrown off. Finally after another long sequence that brings the film to a dead stop (the scene with the sheriff) he finally appears. And then the film really begins to work. Not quite enough to the point where I liked it, but the parts when Pryor and Wilder are on screen together are worth watching? The first hour? Eh, not so much.

**½

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:18 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Silver Streak
Fantastic movie that captures the 60s thriller perfectly. Sorry you didn't like it JMart. Not as good as Stir Crazy or See No Evil Hear No Evil comedy wise, but this is a legit good movie so it makes up for it.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]