Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Daylight 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
B 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Daylight 
College Boy Z

Post Daylight
Daylight

Quote:
Daylight is a 1996 disaster film, starring Sylvester Stallone, Amy Brenneman, Viggo Mortensen, Dan Hedaya, and Danielle Harris. It was directed by Rob Cohen and released in theaters on December 6, 1996.

I honestly like this one a lot. B+

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:56 pm
George A. Romero

yes it's cheesy and cliched, but it's another in a long line of sylvester stallone guilty pleasures

B+

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:36 pm
Extraordinary

D

Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:01 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

This is one of those films that is a very fun disaster flick, a lot of good suspensful moments and Stallone brings in another good performance. Its so weird the 90s for Stallone, after his brief comeback in the early 90s, he was still making good action flicks, Judge Dredd not withstanding, but they all made around 32 million dollars Domestic.

But internationally he was I would say the top 5 biggest earners at this stime, as this film made somewhere around 170 million WW.

B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:27 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Standard Stallone fare. Nothing special but more then adequate while it lasts.

B

Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:07 pm
now we know

Post Re: Daylight
Daylight

This was in the Stallone era of 'lets try and make myself into a normal man and not the superhero of the Rambo days', and it was followed Copland, then Antz etc, so you can see that he was trying to leave his larger-than-life persona behind and start afresh. Bad idea, in my opinion, although Copland is a masterpiece and Daylight is a great movie too, but it caused his career to have a hiatus from 1998 to around 2005 when he came back with Rocky Balboa. I liked everything inbetween, but many did not, which is a shame.

Anyway, Daylight: great movie, fun, suspenseful, caring, and my first Stallone movie to see at the cinema, so it's special for me.

A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:27 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

This was the same year as ID4 and Mars Attacks. I think the thing that works most for it is Stallone. He does really well here, intertwined with the world destruction films of the era, its a contained disaster film (tunnel vs. whole world more in the realm of the Towering Inferno) and it is kind of fine. It's not great in any means, but I will take this over most disaster films. I can still watch this film all the time (Dantes Peak and Volcano by comparison are super awful, this is a B from the start and owns it)

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:05 am
Keeping it Light

Love this film. So underrated.
I don't see how this can't be a blast for every 80's kid.

Algren wrote:
hiatus from 1998 to around 2005

I love Driven too, and Antz and Spy Kids were a success so those didn't hurt him I think.

No acting parts in 98 and 99 did get him somewhat out of the picture, which if you're working on something epic could be great, we've seen that before with some actors I think.

But Stallone decided to do Get Carter, which was quite forgettable for me. Incredibly it had a 60mil budget I'm reading now. Maybe it could have been good, but it had a no-name director which might not have boded well. Wonder why Stallone didn't decide to direct himself.

It also had an October release date which probably wasn't ideal. June should have been a much better release time.

I noticed Shaft made $70mil that year, I imagine Get Carter should have been able to have made the same if marketed better, or perhaps to have been actually good.

Eye See You was also a misfire for when you'd say he shouldn't been long past his prime.

Also kind of strange what happened to Shade, it had an impressive cast, but seems to have been wrongly distributed/ marketed as well. Never heard from it's director before or after.

If Stallone would have followed up Daylight and Copland with more of the serious kind of films, his career could have looked a lot better. But then we might never have gotten Rocky Balboa which was the best decision Stallone made since Copland for sure.

Since the mid-90's very few pure actioners were making big bucks anymore. So in a way it just wasn't the time for Stallone to extend his type of hero films past that anyway.

Even now our biggest action star is Statham and his films are only suited to make around the $30mil mark or so.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:52 am
Keeping it Light

Btw.

Thegun wrote:
(Dantes Peak and Volcano by comparison are super awful)

Dante's peak is pretty much just as great in my book. Volcano was indeed disappointing.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:55 am
now we know

I much preferred Volcano to Dante's Peak. I saw the former at the cinema. Rented the latter.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:54 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

I didn't see either of them in the cinema, but in Holland in my age group Dante's was a pretty big film that year, I feel that was mainly because of Bond/ Brosnan being in it. Volcano I didn't see until at least 2 years. Both these films anyway I think would do good for geography class.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:57 pm
now we know

Haha, yeah. I never watched anything so entertaining in geography.

The appeal of Volcano was Tommy Lee Jones and the fact that the threat was obvious by the title (a 12-year-old me liked simplicity). Dante's Peak, however, starred what I believed to be a washed-up Linda Hamilton and the threat wasn't so clear. Brosnan was a draw, I must admit, but I don't know, I guess his suave sexiness didn't attract me then as much as it does now.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

This is such a fun and edge of your seat thriller. Stallone is very good in this. The story in parts goes over the top but Stallone alone carries this movie. All the supporting characters are written poorly here but the action scenes and setup are the biggest savior here.

Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:35 am
Keeping it Light

I watched this again a few months ago and I was nicely reminded of the great disaster film it is. I like the whole supporting cast too, Brenneman is great and Mortensen has a nice but small role too. The score is perfect and the film is tense from start to finish, with calamity following calamity and the way most of the group finds a way finally is satisfying. It just has this great 90's feeling that will never old to rewatch, or more like it's the best kind of nostalgia. It's one of my favorite Stallone films outside of the franchises.

A-

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]