Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Invincible 

What grade would you give this film?
A 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
B 55%  55%  [ 6 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 11

Invincible 
Sbil

Post Invincible
Invincible

Quote:
Invincible is a 2006 family film directed by Ericson Core set in 1976. It is based on the true story of Vince Papale, who played for the Philadelphia Eagles from 1976-78. Mark Wahlberg portrays Papale and Greg Kinnear plays Papale's coach, Dick Vermeil. The movie was released in the US on August 25, 2006.

Last edited by Libs on Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:33 pm
Sbil

Well-made but extremely conventional. The acting is good - Mark Wahlberg is terrific, Greg Kinnear is solid, Elizabeth Banks brings more sass and spunk than her underwritten role deserves. What I found perplexing about this film is how abruptly it ended. I swear, the final scene feels like a scene that would appear somewhere near the 3/4 mark of most average sports films. I mean, my husband went to use the bathroom and missed the ending because he assumed there would be another few scenes afterwards. So, I guess, a complaint was that they didn't focus enough on Vince Papale's football career with the Eagles (they only actually show two games), and what they show of the rest of his life isn't developed enough to be that interesting. Despite these flaws, however, Invincible succeeds at being heartfelt and inspiring at certain parts. C+

Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:35 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Well it wasnt the best sports movie I've ever seen, but I was entertained the entire time. The cast was great, and well acted. Like Libs said above, they didnt really show his career the struggle he had to get one.

I also didnt like how really none of the other players ended up forgiving him or what not. Especially the two black ones. I was expecting some sort of resolve. Its a 1hr 40 minute sports movie that could have benefited from an extra 25 minutes.

That said its fun to watch and you shouldnt be disappointed, this has some of the best football cinematography I've ever seen.

B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:35 pm
Orphan

Very well-made and acted underdog sports drama. Wahlberg and Kinnear both give good to great performances with Elizabeth Banks lending able support. Why isn't she a star? She has just as much charisma and charm as Rachel McAdams and is just as beautiful, if not more so.

Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:43 pm
You must have big rats

Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:44 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Banks was great in Slither too.

And crazy and smoking hot in the 40 year old virgin.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:33 pm
Extraordinary

This thread didn't get much respect.

It's September 7th and this movie was released on August 25th, thirteen days ago, and it's already been unstickied and has fallen to halfway down the second page. Pretty sad for a movie that was #1 on opening and that's ridden near the top of the BO every day since.

Anyways, I really liked Invincible. A great telling of a great true story that I'd never heard before. If it really is all true, then the "big game" scene is simply mind-blowingly unlikely and inspirational.

I've heard people criticize it for it's predictability -- that's what made me put off seeing it for almost two weeks -- but, other than it being an underdog success story (...are we really expecting an underdog failure story?), it is an exceedingly well told tale. I was into it from the opening kick-off right up till the goal line...

Movies were made to tell this kind of story (too)!!!

6 out of 5.

Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:32 am
Devil's Advocate

Yet another addition to the solid sports drama category, I liked this no less than The Rookie or Coach Carter. I agree with the comments above that while the movie is predictable, it is very well made and heartfelt all the same. The cinematography is excellent between the shots of Philadelphia, the football scenes themselves, and just the overall look of it. Acting very solid with Wahlberg and Banks having great chemistry, and coach Kinnear lending a nice supporting hand as well. As much as you could ask for in this type of movie, I'd say.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:17 pm
Where will you be?

It didn't feel like it ended abruptly to me, anything after that would've been pretty anticlimactic. Yeah they could've had a few more scenes of everyone being really happy, but considering how almost every sports movie tends to feel too long, I thought it was a bit of a relief for Invincible to not stretch on.

Ending aside, I was actually very impressed in the film, bolstered by it's depiction of working class Philly in '75. The performances all being pretty spot on sure helped too. If there's any actor that's been around for awhile who I could really see becoming a much bigger star in the next couple years, it's Mark Wahlberg. Elizabeth Banks, Greg Kinnear, and his buddies all turned in solid performances as well.

I think this is one of my favorite sports dramas to come around in some time.

Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:51 am
life begins now

This was one of the films I watched on my way to England...It is a good sports movie, about on par with Glory Road, but the ending was quite sudden.

B+

Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:45 pm
Profile YIM
I just lost the game

Good film. Not great, and not all that memorable.

B

Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:08 pm
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Invincible
This was great. Very well cast, entertaining, touching. Don't think the story itself was that grand, but it's greatly told, and hits the right spot in pretty much every aspect.

A-

Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]