Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Speed 2: Cruise Control 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
F 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 11

College Boy Z

Post Speed 2: Cruise Control

Quote:
Speed 2: Cruise Control is a 1997 action–thriller film, and a sequel to Speed (1994). The film was produced and directed by Jan de Bont, and written by Randall McCormick and Jeff Nathanson, based on a story by de Bont and McCormick. Sandra Bullock stars in the film, reprising her role from Speed, along with Jason Patric and Willem Dafoe. The film was released by 20th Century Fox in June 1997.

The plot involves couple Annie (Bullock) and Alex (Patric) taking a vacation in the Caribbean aboard a luxury cruise ship, which is hijacked by a villain named Geiger (Dafoe) by hacking into the ship's computer system. As they are trapped aboard the ship, Annie and Alex work with the ship's first officer (Temuera Morrison) to try and stop the ship, which they discover is programmed to sail into an oil tanker.

De Bont came up with the idea for the film after he had a recurring nightmare about a cruise ship crashing into an island. Speed stars Keanu Reeves and Dennis Hopper were initially intended to reprise their roles for the sequel, but decided not to commit and Reeves was replaced by Patric prior to filming. Production took place aboard Seabourn Legend, the ship on which the film is set. The film's final scene, where the ship crashes into the island of Saint Martin, cost almost one quarter of the film's $110 million budget, and set records as the largest and most expensive stunt ever filmed. Many interior scenes aboard the ship were shot on soundstages in the Greater Los Angeles Area. The film's soundtrack featured mostly reggae music, and Mark Mancina composed the film score, which was released as an album 13 years after the film's release.

Critics had mostly negative reception towards the film, criticizing its poor acting, unrealistic story, and boring characters. One major criticism was that the film's setting on a slow-moving cruise ship was much less thrilling than Speed's setting on a fast-moving bus. The film was a box office bomb, earning less than half of its budget in the United States, and earned less than $165 million worldwide. It was nominated for eight Golden Raspberry Awards, and won the award for "Worst Re-Make or Sequel".

Nothing in comparison to the faaantastic original, but still, I kinda liked it. It's not terrible, and still kinda fun.

B-

Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:37 am
Devil's Advocate

Ridiculous, but yeah, enjoyable.

Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:39 am
All Star Poster

This is one of the worst films I saw in theaters. I'd put it in the top ten worst sequels ever.

D

Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:46 am
You must have big rats

I don't understand the immense hate for this movie. Of course, it isn't perfect and not nearly as good as the original (which, then again, is one of the best action moviues ever made), but as a stand-alone flick, it is well-made, though a bit overlong. Pretty good action all around.

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:18 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

it isnt horrible it isnt great either, just stupid fun and predictible

B-

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:20 am
Golfaholic

Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:15 am
We had our time together

One of the biggest disapointments ever for me, I expected sooooo much more. D+

Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:52 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

I liked it. It's nowhere near as good as the original, but I don't think it tries to be.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:57 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

D

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW
htm

It isn't that bad. I enjoy watching it, from time to time... definitely check your door at the brain prior to viewing it, or you might feel a bit insulted...

Nonetheless, C+ is a fair grade. It's passable fun.

Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:26 am
Some days I'm a super bitch

Common! It's about a runaway cruise-ship for god's sake! Those things go how fast? Like...6...7 miles per hour?? :blink:

D

Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:39 am
Profile WWW
life begins now

I don't see why so many people hate this film. It's of course nowhere near as good as the original, but it's a decent sequel.

B

Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:12 pm
Profile YIM
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Speed 2: Cruise Control
My GOD, HAHA. I just watched this yesterday. I'll admit I saw this movie 10 years ago and I remember thinking it wasn't as good as the first, but it was ok. Just saw this again and I have to say this was pretty bad in all aspects.

First of all, the first cost 28 million, this one 160 million! Thats absurd. Almost all of the action scenes are comparable to other films, Jason Patrick is no Keanu Reeves (Thats hard to say on its own) and William Dafoe who is great is just a poor excuse for a villain. He's the typical "They fired me so I'll show them" villain with the added, the place he worked for made him sick. Sandra Bullock is gorgeous in this movie though, but she really does nothing apart from that. My biggest gripe that the big action scene of the cruise liner crashing into the city at 10 mph is not only perposterous it goes on hysterically for 5 minutes. Where as when the liner hits two small boats its speed drops 2 knots in about 10 seconds, IT THEN TAKES FIVE MINUTES OF GOING INTO A WHOLE DOCK, ROCK HARD FOUNDATIONS AND BUILDING AFTER BUILDING TO LOOSE THE FINAL 5 KNOTS OF SPEED. And William Dafoe who should be at least 20 miles away by now of driving in the opposite direction, Jason Patrick catches up to him within five minutes.

With 1997 having great action films like Air Force One, Face Off and many other decent ones. This film is a mess and one of the worst drop offs in quality of all time. That said, its laughingly bad.

D

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:26 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Seriously?!? We're wasting bandwidth on this??

Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:12 pm
Sbil

Hahahaha

Oh god.

Terrible.

D-

Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:42 pm
On autopilot for the summer

The part I always laugh at the most is, every time the ship slows by a knot, its a closeup of the English First Mate saying what speed their going as it shows the speedometer as well.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:05 pm
Leader of the Pack

Thegun wrote:
The part I always laugh at the most is, every time the ship slows by a knot, its a closeup of the English First Mate saying what speed their going as it shows the speedometer as well.

Lol that is one of my favorite bad movie moments of all time!!! Good call gun!
BTW, i think it is ok, entertaining at times, but overall pretty bad. Dafoe is always a great badguy though!
C+

Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:00 am
No Wire Tampons!

D-

Oh, Sandra.

Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]