Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 John Tucker Must Die 

What grade would you give this film?
A 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
B 30%  30%  [ 6 ]
C 40%  40%  [ 8 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 20

John Tucker Must Die 
Sbil

Post John Tucker Must Die
John Tucker Must Die

Quote:
John Tucker Must Die is a 2006 American high school comedy romance film, directed by Betty Thomas. The film is about a trio of girls (played by Ashanti, Sophia Bush, and Arielle Kebbel) who plot to break the heart of manipulative basketball star John Tucker (Jesse Metcalfe) after they learn he has been secretly dating all three and pledging each is "the one". They recruit cute wallflower Kate (Brittany Snow) in their scheme to publicly humiliate the cad. Released in North America on July 28, 2006. The film reached number 3 in the US and number 1 in Australia.

Last edited by Libs on Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:28 pm
Extraordinary

Though I suspect I'm not exactly the target market, I gotta say that John Tucker Must Die was a pretty darn good Grrrrrl Power movie!

Sharp script, hot actresses who can really act, and a subversive 'tude that never lets up (well the ending sucks out a bit, but in a kinda good way). Yup, this is this summer's Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants or Stick It.

Lots'o'fun with some lessons to be learned or wisdom to be mentored or at the very least some bittersweet laughs to be experienced...

5 out of 5.

Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:47 am
---------

A reallly funny first hour, just not the best original characters it could've had. Everything we mostly seen before, but the leads are still very charming and are fun to watch. The ending isn't as bad as some make it out to be, it's just not fantastic. I still can't believe the guy who played Tucker is 27 years old.

Grade: B/B-

Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:55 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Really charming and funny.

Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:57 am
Profile YIM
Some days I'm a super bitch

Eeeek! Looks like I'm going to have to disagree with you guys. :unsure:

I went into it expecting a sharper than average teen movie, but in the end found it was unfocussed and dull. I never really understood what the film was trying to do with Brittany Snow's character, or which direction they wanted to take the plot in for that matter.

D

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:56 am
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

This movie was surprisingly hilarious. I enjoyed it and would've given it a B+/A- had it not been for the crappy last 5 minutes. So i give it a B-.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:09 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Horrible, badly acted, badly directed, completely unfunny. Too bad since I was actually looking forward to this.

4/10 (D+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Devil's Advocate

I liked it a lot. :happy:

Is it something we've never seen before? Of course not. But, it is one of the more purely enjoyable movies of the year, I just had a great time watching it. I felt that while ultimatley this is lesser than Mean Girls or She's the Man, one thing unique that this one had going for it, is that it is very much an ensemble piece, and I felt that worked in it's favour.

Mean Girls is fantastic, but really it was the Rachel McAdams and Lindsey Lohan show, people like the male interest and the stupid girl never ever rose up to their level. Ditto for StM, it's all Bynes carrying it. With John Tucker, it's 5-6 actors with all pretty similar screentimes, all complimenting each other's scenes and all adding to the just of the film, kind of like a throwback to The Breakfast Club of the 80s. And they all deliver as rising stars, I'd say.

Ashanti with this and Coach Carter, confirms that she is a better actress than musician. Sophia also confirms a fact, that the diva personality thing will always be a trademark of hers, which doesn't surprise me as she's like that not only in all her projects but also in real life and interviews. I could see her having a future of character acting, which I think might suit her best. Arielle has nice comic timing in this movie, she is another young actress I like. Snow surprised me a bit, she is very likable, she's got a nice voice. Metcliffe as the villian is very good also, one of the best male characters in a teenage girl movie in a while. Guy who played the other Tucker was decent too, I guess, though he didn't do much.

Loved the music in this movie, gave it a nice retro remixed feel, whoever made this knows this is a slumber party genre that owes a lot to the 80s, so that was a good touch, made the movie fun.

I actually liked the ending too. Coming in I'd heard some complaints, and I was expecting much worse, with the video camera development I was expecting the dreaded "We made a slideshow chronicling all your best moments together! Awwww!", so I was pleasently surprised with a foodfight and people not taking things too seriously. Also really liked how Metcliffe wasn't forced to be a big time changed man, or hooked up with any of the characters, and the fact that they never resorted to developing the other Tucker with Snow during the movie, instead leaving things promising at the end. Really they never took these relationships as anything serious, which is what most flings like that in high school are, I feel sometimes in this movies they turn it into far too much of a lifetime romance, when realistically it never would be.

So yeah, just a great time at the movies.

Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:01 pm
Forum General

D+

Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:03 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

The jailbait makes me horny

Minus Points

A retarded Chipmunk could have done a better job with the concept
Every cliche in the teen comedy playbook done BADLY!
The turning the fella into a girl with hormones scene implies all women are irrational pyschotic loons. Thanks for the unoriginal social commentary guys.
The ending is completely flat. Whats the moral where is the closure? Hell if I know. You can get away with that in an edgy arthouse flick but not in a teen clone "comedy".
Oh and did i mention it failed to be funny even once.

F

Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:53 pm
ef star star kay

I liked it.. quite a lot!

Yeah, about everything in this movie couldn't defined with 'original'. Yes, the ending was pretty weak (unfortunately, the buzz was right on this one). And I didn't mention about very very poor character developement yet.

But with a lot of laughs, a lot of funny 'Girl' moments, charming casts.. I just cannot resist. Plus, that guy who played John Tucker is HOT, his brother is AS HOT! This movie is absolutely a worthy to waste 90 minutes for me. Though, I've to admit I may not be able to watch this movie over and over again. I think it's not as rewatchable as Mean Girls, or The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, which I would consider them as best 'Girl Powrrr' movies in recent years.

*** out of ***** (B-)

Maybe because I watched this movie with the right crowd -or wrong ones, according to the critic :P- (everyone -seems to- really enjoy this movie). Ever feel this feeling? When you're surrounded by laughs, it just makes you feel really good.

Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:31 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

It had its moments of humor but for the moments it was pretty flat. The acting was generally bad, some of the scenes were really just...stupid (the hormone scene for example). Yeah, it was fun to sit and mock, but for the most part it really wasn't a great film.

C+

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:40 am
htm

Tripe. The only thing in Tucker's defense lasts for only a brief second, not nearly as satisfying as it should be. You should know what I am talking about - it involves a certain pair of women's underwear...

To be missed. Sloppy, irrelevant, and useless.

D.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:52 am
Teh Mexican

Not really that funny but it was a very unoriginal entertaining movie. I really had a lot of fun watching it.

B

Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:44 am
Iron Man

With a title like that, you'd expect a film with more of a bite and at least some laughs. But what you get is just your same old, boring, badly acted and unfunny teen comedy. D

Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:34 am
loyalfromlondon

Sporadically funny but overall rather dull teen comedy. Goes for every cliché in the book, but does it well, making for a rather mediocre comedy. Sharp concept but unfortunately dull execution.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:30 pm
Extraordinary

Jeez I dont know, maybe I was in the right mood last night or something but I kinda liked it. Saw that it was coming on HBO and said what the hell, let me watch it before I go to sleep. It was pretty typical stuff but still enjoyable in a cheesy way, it also felt like it was trying to kinda make fun of itself. I enjoyed Metcliffe, thought he was pretty charming and funny throughout. Nothing i'd watch again or anything but it was cute for what it was.

B-/C+

Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:34 am
Extraordinary

Jeez I dont know, maybe I was in the right mood last night or something but I kinda liked it. Saw that it was coming on HBO and said what the hell, let me watch it before I go to sleep. It was pretty typical stuff but still enjoyable in a cheesy way, it also felt like it was trying to kinda make fun of itself. I enjoyed Metcliffe, thought he was pretty charming and funny throughout. Nothing i'd watch again or anything but it was cute for what it was.

B-/C+

Oh, the shame!

Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:06 am
Extraordinary

But it would be an F had the lead actress not been so likable.

Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:55 pm
Sbil

Completely toothless and overly cutesy. C-

Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:32 pm
I just lost the game

Post Re: John Tucker Must Die
Bleh.

C

(Wonderful review, eh?)

Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:39 am
Wall-E

I kind of liked the ending with Tucker trying to have an epiphany speech but then was all "Naah".

Also, kind of miscast. I didn't believe for a moment all these girs were in wiiiidly different cliques. Brittany Snow as the girl nobody notices. You couldn't even put the token Rachel Leigh Cook glasses on her? (I'm not saying she had to be a pariah, just...nondescript) And Sophia Bush is a hippie like I'm a Navy Seal.

Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:06 am
Profile YIM WWW
The Wall

5/10 -> C-

Bland teen movie.

Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:36 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

This poll is quite the symmetrical beauty. No one else vote.

Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 am
ef star star kay

WTF??

the poll shows that my vote is A??

I liked the film though, B-

too many shirtless scenes.. two main lead males are 'H&C'.. I can't resist :sleep:

Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next