Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Little Miss Sunshine 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Little Miss Sunshine 
We had our time together

Quirky, off-beat comedy-drama that has its moments (and many of them), but never really takes off as either a hilarious comedy or an effective drama. The acting is fantastic across the board, so much so that it's impossible to pick a highlight, and the writing is sharp, but the story never really involves the viewer and the characters aren't especially endearing. Still, this is a very well-made movie, with some hilarious moments and some touching ones, that isn't great but is still pretty good.

My thoughts as well. B

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:48 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

trixster wrote:
Quirky, off-beat comedy-drama that has its moments (and many of them), but never really takes off as either a hilarious comedy or an effective drama. The acting is fantastic across the board, so much so that it's impossible to pick a highlight, and the writing is sharp, but the story never really involves the viewer and the characters aren't especially endearing. Still, this is a very well-made movie, with some hilarious moments and some touching ones, that isn't great but is still pretty good.

My thoughts as well. B

You heartless bastards...

:poke:

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:08 am
problem?

trixster wrote:

My thoughts as well. B

Yep,BheretooandjustwhatIthoughtwhenIwatcheditamonthago.

Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:37 pm
I just lost the game

:disgust: A mere "B"? The movie deserves better than that. I too found the movie slightly under the admittedly large expectations put upon me by all of the hype and WOM I've heard, but it was certainly better than your normal "B" movie.

Although I will agree that it has problems distinguishing between an offbeat comedy and a character-study drama, but it does a nice job of balancing the two. All of the characters were very real, and as crazy as some of the scenarios are (they stole the grandpa!) I was never taken out of the film. It flowed incredibly well, as well as all of the dialogue. Technically, it was a very well-made film with heart. It just wasn't AMAZING, like I was led to believe. I felt this way initially after Eternal Sunshine. IT was in my top ten of the year for sure, but that still doesn't mean I was a little disappointed by it (A personal note: I have since then rewatched Eternal Sunshine several times and have come to love it more than probably anybody here, so it may just be that I need to rewatch LMS).

A

Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:30 pm
Extraordinary

Not nearly as great as I thought it would be.

B

Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:39 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

I think I had this movie at an A+ for a while after seeing it...

Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:55 pm
We had our time together

I felt this way initially after Eternal Sunshine. IT was in my top ten of the year for sure, but that still doesn't mean I was a little disappointed by it (A personal note: I have since then rewatched Eternal Sunshine several times and have come to love it more than probably anybody here, so it may just be that I need to rewatch LMS).

The same happened to me too with Eternal Sunshine. I needed three viewings to fully appreciate it. Since then it's in my top 5 movies ever. I really don't see that happening with LMS.

Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:36 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Good movie, great characters, but like said not the best film of the year. While all the characters are great, until the last 5 minutes there all pretty one dimensional and I couldnt really relate to any of them. Other than that, some good laughs and pretty good story and soundtrack.

B+/ A-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:19 am
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

Finally got around to watching this one...

I really didn't know what to expect going in, and it was a little different than what I pictured... I expected it was going to be pretty much focused all on child beauty pageant stuff, which is largely why I avoided watching it for so long.

Anyhow, it was a good solid movie with very good performances all the way around. It didn't achieve greatness in my book - there were moments where the movie seemed kind of aimless or was a little bland, but overall it was entertaining. The child beauty stuff at the end was hard to watch, and I was happy that wasn't the focus of the movie.

I give LMS a B+

Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:55 pm
Extraordinary

A wonderful film. There's nothing I can say that hasn't been said before. I found all the performances to be wonderful, and felt that the entire film was genuine.

Just one thing: The Proust scholar calls Proust 'probably the greatest writer since Shakespeare'. I have read In Search of Lost Time, all 4,300 pages of it. Proust is a great writer, but he is no Tolstoy. This is beyond argument. I guess the Proust scholar needs to believe in what he says, since Proust is basically his life. Heh. Whatever.

But I love the film, hahaha.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:38 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Just one thing: The Proust scholar calls Proust 'probably the greatest writer since Shakespeare'. I have read In Search of Lost Time, all 4,300 pages of it. Proust is a great writer, but he is no Tolstoy. This is beyond argument. I guess the Proust scholar needs to believe in what he says, since Proust is basically his life. Heh. Whatever.

:| .........................Box I command you to get laid immediately

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:45 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Comes out on DVD on Wednesday so will finally get a chance to see it!! Cant wait! :)

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:39 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Little Miss Sunshine
I don't know how I never posted here. Love this film. In my top ten for 2006. A

Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:57 am
Profile YIM
Team Kris

I still can't believe someone here called Abigail Breslin "that little chubby bitch" (or something like that...) :blink:

Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:45 pm
Stanley Cup

C.

I just didnt find the film that funny or heart warming. It was just a decent film.

Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:03 pm
He didn't look busy?!

Funnier than Juno, much funnier, but not at all as strong when things got serious. Both were good, overrated movies that didn't deserve as much praise as they've gotten.

B+

Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

A hilarious, perfectly acted, quirky and loveable comedy. My #2 of 2006.

A+

Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:44 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Loved it, and is one of three films from 2006 I'd grade above a B+. Though I didn't like many films from 2006.

I can watch this anytime I catch it on HBO or whatever it plays on. Doesn't matter what part, or how long it's been on, I will more than likely sit through it til the end. The entire cast was great, especially Breslin. The Ice Cream Scene is one of my favorites. The soundtrack is also good, if not expected I guess.

A-

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:04 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

billybobwashere wrote:
Funnier than Juno, much funnier, but not at all as strong when things got serious. Both were good, overrated movies that didn't deserve as much praise as they've gotten.

B+

QFT

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:45 am
Devil's Advocate

Dano's notepad alone is funnier than all of Juno put together

Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10