Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Everything is Illuminated 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

College Boy Z

Post Everything is Illuminated

Quote:
Everything Is Illuminated is a 2005 adventure/dramedy film, written and directed by Liev Schreiber and starring Elijah Wood and Eugene Hütz. It was adapted from the novel by Jonathan Safran Foer, and was the debut film of Liev Schreiber both as a director and as a screenwriter.

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:21 pm
Teh Mexican

i wasnt blown away by this movie but it was good.... i think. It was extremely slow but for some reason i kept seeing the movie, the story was very interesting and kind of weird, and it had its somewhat funny moments

Elijah Wood did a pretty good job here.

B-

Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:28 pm
You must have big rats

Okay, I admit this movie doesn't quite fit in with most other flicks in this thread as far as acclaim goes, but I heard a whole lot of good stuff about it, so I checked it out. After seeing it, I must say that it's a great pity the movie is not up there with some of the acclaimed films here as it was one of the better bittersweet drama/comedies I have ever seen. It's certainly not perfect and some things could have used tweaking, but I found it to be geniunly touching, moving and, at times, very profound.

Elijah Wood doesn't impress as the film's eccentric, but overall still bland lead. It's Eugene Hütz who steals him all the show and is in fact the movie's main character who undergoes a journey throughout the course of the movie. He's the one who delivers many hilarious moments in the first half of the film. The actor playing his grandfather did a great job as well.

The movie's narrative structure is something you need to get used to a bit, but I liked it a lot. I read that the structure in the novel was much more complex anyway. As I have said, the first half of the movie is mostly a comedy with some great fish-out-of-water bits. The second half is a drama with almost all of its aspects succeeding and messages being conveyed well without being forced upon the viewer. There are geniunely sad and moving moments in there hat not many films have nowadays.

My (relatively minor) complaints would be that Elijah Wood's part could have been better and that the development of Alex' character could have been a bit longer. It happened a bit too abrupt in the film. All in all, it's a very good piece of filmmaking by Liev Schreiber, though. He should try himself as a director more often.

I don't think many on here have seen the film and I sincerely recommend all of you to check it out!

Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]