Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Click 

What grade would you give this film?
A 24%  24%  [ 10 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 17 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
D 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
F 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 42

Click 
Sbil

Post Click
Click

Quote:
Click is a 2006 science fiction dramedy film directed by Frank Coraci and written by Mark O'Keefe and Steve Koren. It stars Adam Sandler as an overworked architect who neglects his family and misses most of his life when he receives a remote-control device that enables him to skip over unpleasant events. It also stars Kate Beckinsale as his wife and Christopher Walken as the man who gives him the device. This film is loosely based on R.L. Stine short story of the same name.

Filming began in late 2005 and was finished by early 2006. The film was released in North America on June 23, 2006 by Columbia Pictures. It was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Makeup.

Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:12 pm
loyalfromlondon

I saw this at a staff screening, so I guess I'll be the first one to review it:

What an utterly inane, poorly done, and ultimately sappy piece of tripe. At first glance, this appears to be nothing more than another Sandler low-brow comedy, with a high concept and low execution. Using a remote control that controls everything? It's comedic gold! Gold, Jerry, Gold! So much fun could be had with the idea - it's a veritable goal mine. But it squanders it. Instead, the movie tries to hammer home a painfully obvious message, and ultimately fails at both comedy and drama (yes, it was trying to go for drama).

From the opening scenes, nothing about this movie really works. The dialogue is corny and forced, the acting is terrible, the plot is utterly pointless, and the characters are completely unbelievable. There are a few laugh-out-loud moments, but they are few and far between - not really the comedy I was expecting. Instead of exploiting the idea for laughs, the movie decides to grow a heart, and tack on unneeded, cheezy scenes of emotion that just don't fit. The moral of the movie is painfully clear, but I just didn't care. Instead of making me laugh, this movie made me retch.

There are a few times that some comedic genuis slips through and stands out, but as a whole, this movie was downright silly. The entire last 45 minutes was horribly done, and were not needed at all - it just stretched the movie on and on. If they had stuck to straight comedy, this would have been at least a decent attempt, but as it stands now, it's just a crappy movie.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:34 am
I just lost the game

For trixster and those that will see it this weekend, how does the movie compae to other Sandler comedies. Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, Big Daddy, Little Nicky, Mr. Deeds, Anger Management, The Longest Yard, and any others I might've missed.

Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:35 am
loyalfromlondon

For trixster and those that will see it this weekend, how does the movie compae to other Sandler comedies. Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, Big Daddy, Little Nicky, Mr. Deeds, Anger Management, The Longest Yard, and any others I might've missed.

Well, I'm not a huge Sandler fan, and I haven't seen all of those, but it's definitely not as funny as the ones I've seen - Happy Gilmore, The Waterboy, Big Daddy, Mr. Deeds, Anger Management, and The Longest Yard. It seemed to be trying to go for the sappy, heartwarming angle - but it didn't work. I would say it's the worst out of Sandler's comedies.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:45 am
htm

Much better than I expected... probably the best Sandler movie in quite some time (forgetting Punch Drunk).

I liked the tic-tac joke. You'll know it when you see it...

The ending is a bit sappy though...

B

Last edited by zennier on Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:57 pm
Top Poster

I am a fan of many Adam Sandler films, but this one was sorely missing in humor, while the dramatic stuff doesn't really work that well. The concept definitely could have been explored in a more fun and creative way, although the film was never unwatchable. C+

Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:23 am
Profile WWW
Team Kris

This is easily the worst Sandler film I have ever seen! There was very little humor and WTF was up with the second half of the movie!? Drama and Sandler don't go well together. Stick with the humor.

D

Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

The movie can't be worse than Punch Drunk Love....

Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Bad Marketing. About on par with The Village.

Now, here's the rest of the review.

This, in my opinion, is by far Sandler's BEST movie.

It was everything it set out to be, and more. It supplied us with humor and it hit us with drama. And it is the second movie this year to make me cry.

It was done VERY well and was acting extremely well. So what if it wasn't a typical "Sandler" movie?! When was the last "Sandler" movie??? Not in a while. He's grown up, and it shows. It took a GREAT premise and made it just that, GREAT.

Wonderful film. Everything worked.

9.6/10 A

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:04 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Im in a mixed bag on this one. For those who say Sandler can't act, surely dont know what there talking about. Punch Drunk was pure brilliance. It was really nice to see that Sandler finally is at that point where he can mix it into his comedies.

Its definitely not his funniest film. But it certainly has enough gags to keep them happy, and it has easily one of the better plots with his high concept films. I can see how it doesnt work for some people. It really switched its gears late in the film, which may have been too late for the general audience. But for me, this film again isn't Sandlers funniest, but its a good movie, with some great laughs, a good story, and although it could have used a better edit to flow the movie better, its a good comedy film. B+

And I agree the Tic Tac joke and "Did you put shit in my food" was probably some of the funniest stuff all year.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:49 pm
College Boy Z

It's not Sandler's best, nor is it his typical comedy as it does blend a lot of drama into the mix, but I enjoyed it a lot. A few jokes fell flat, while others had me rolling in the aisles.

B+

Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:09 am
Orphan

Very entertaining film. The mix of Sandler humor with drama worked surprisingly well. The film was touching as well as funny. On another note, is it just me or did Kate Beckinsale look fabulous in the movie? Hell, she was still attractive after they aged her.

Also, where was the Rob Schneider cameo? Instead, they had Nick Swardson.

There's little doubt though that Adam Sandler is one great guy to have as a friend. If it wasn't for him David Spade and Rob Schneider's careers, among others, would likely be over.

A-

Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:22 am
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Did anyone else think that Abeboo(or whatever his name was) in the beginning was Rob Schneider...? I enjoyed the film a lot, good ending too. B

Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:10 am
Extraordinary

Damn it, if this one didn't work for me, too!

I must have a soft head when it comes to movies, because I loved Click.

Sure, I can tell you there's a couple of dead spots in this film, but it's total charm and honesty easily make up for these. It's another inspirational American movie (I thought the British had this genre all sewn up?!?) that encourages the viewer to get some perspective on their whole life and the overall strategy one chooses to live it by. It's the second one this year after the extraordinary Last Holiday. The "universal remote control" is a nice current device for focusing the story, but the writers don't let it overwhelm the underlying heart.

I've always been a sucker for Adam Sandler, and have rated most of his movies highly. One notable exception was the execrable Big Daddy, which is ironic given that it was Sandler's other attempt at honest sentimentality. Where that one failed, Click succeeds beyond my wildest dreams for it. The supporting players are solid, with Kate Beckinsdale delectably cute as always, and Christopher Walken adding his schtick as always, and with the Fonz & Marge Simpson as Sandler's Mom & Dad - how can you go wrong?!

I'm sorry to hear that it's not working for a lot of people -- I found it to be an utterly delightful charmer, and yet another great entry in this year's parade of great films.

6 out of 5.

Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:10 am
College Boy Z

Did anyone else think that Abeboo(or whatever his name was) in the beginning was Rob Schneider...? I enjoyed the film a lot, good ending too. B

I said the exact same thing to my friend.

Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:39 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:47 am
College Boy Z

Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:01 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

I didn't even see Habeeboo listed on IMDB...

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:09 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Oh, I just read an interview with Rob, and he indeed stated he played Habeeboo.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:15 am
New Server, Same X

Okay, I'm a bit mixed on this. I think the comedy in the film is about on par with Grandma's Boy (which I hated). Aside from the aforementioned tic tac joke, and a few other laughs, it's not a great comedy (for the parts that are meant to be funny). But, I think that the drama, for the most part, worked really well. It saved the film from being a complete wreck, and it made certain parts of the film even better.

Adam Sandler is not a bad actor, but I don't think he was the best man for the part during the dramatic pieces, even though this is a Happy Madison movie. Obviously the part was written for him, but I don't think he did as well as he could have with the drama.

So, it's not Sandler's best, and it's not a very funny movie when it's supposed to be. But, it does hit the mark with mostly everything else. If it was a full-on comedy, it'd probably be a C-. But, for what it is, I'll give it a B.

Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:35 pm
Sbil

Click owes more than a little to Frank Capra and films like It's a Wonderful Life, as Adam Sandler presents a heartwarming, surprisingly touching dramedy. There's plenty of Sandler's usual humor here (mostly involving characters played by David Hasselhoff and Jennifer Coolidge), but Click is probably his darkest "straight" comedy thus far. Watching Sandler's character involuntary fast forward decades and watch himself say goodbye to certain elements of his life while he has become a near Scrooge is positively heartbreaking. If not for the happy ending everyone knows will soon occur, Click could've been a great tragedy. Sandler does some of his usual shtick in the movie, but Michael is probably one of his most mature performances to date. Kate Beckinsale is wonderful as his wife, although slightly underused, while Christopher Walken is surprisingly low-key. Overall, Click a bit flawed and not my favorite Sandler film (50 First Dates still gets my vote), but it is amusing, effective drama about not losing sight of what's important in life. B

Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:12 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Good everyman story... and high-concept as well...........
Plus fortunate timing/lack of competition... Yes, close to BA and other 'time warp' flicks... Epic as well...
a B.......
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
alone in my shed........

Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:45 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Come on people, when he does the closeup of Habeebo when he says hes not a chewing gum, its obviously Schneider. That was great.

The chinese family was funny too. Hasselhoff actually was really good. A lot of people dont give him a lot of credit, but he is pretty charismatic. Good cast all around.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:29 pm
Superfreak

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:05 am

A+

Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next