Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 The Break-Up 

What grade would you give this film?
A 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
B 51%  51%  [ 21 ]
C 27%  27%  [ 11 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
F 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 41

The Break-Up 
Teenage Dream

I did see quite a few women in my theater crying towards the end, actually.

Heh. Funny you should mention that, as I heard at least three or four women around me sobbing during the different scenes at the end.

I felt like joining them. :blush:

Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:12 am
Orphan

I was crying because of the money I wasted on the ticket :tongue:

Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:23 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

I thought it was quite great actually. The first half of the movie was a riot, it was funny as hell and filled with jokes, just as Vince wanted to live his life... then the movie gets more serious and Vince gets more serious about his relationship.

It was quite wonderful, and had a very sad ending.

9.3/10 A-

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:52 pm
Superman: The Movie

Was anyone else, like, dying of laughter at that conversation between Vince Vaughn and Jon Favreau near the end in the bar? I just couldn't stop laughing.

Best scene of the film hands down. I almost raised my grade up one because of it, but then thought about the all around package. The scenes between the two of them are the best scenes in the film. It's too bad they were only a few of them.

I really have to see Swingers.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I liked The Break Up, at least up till the point I couldn't believe in the characters anymore...

When it was sailing along in the first hour, it was a lively rom-com, with a big emphasis on the com. But then, it took a turn towards serious psychological analysis of relationships, which while accurate enough in itself, derailed the momentum of the overall movie. I was sad to have to be evacuated from the train by a search & rescue team at about the two-thirds point of my ride. Vaughn's character ceased being real, and switched to cartoonaivety. Aniston's finally left me wanting. Too bad, I can fantasize about a dozen other more satisfying endings to this film - half, way happier; and half more depressing, if not downright tragic...

Still, despite the betrayal, and my urge to rate this one 3 out of 5, I will in the end rate it:

4 out of 5

Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:27 am
Kypade

I liked The Break Up, at least up till the point I couldn't believe in the characters anymore...
Bingo.

Problem is, this came about 20 minutes in for me.

Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:53 pm
---------

Hmm, it wasn't as funny as I'd thought it would be. I really couldn't laugh at any of the argument, they always seemed too serious and too much yelling. Kinda got depressing. Vaugn seemed like a total jerk, but luckily he almost redeemed himself. Ending was the most surprising thing though. It was more of cute funny, but it wasn't a heartwarming romantic comedy either. As Libs stated earlier, I guess it was kinda of a crying movie for women, my girlfriend almost started crying at several parts. It was actually pretty sad.

Grade: B

Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:01 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Monday morning I had a colonoscopy. Monday afternoon I saw The Break-Up. Guess which was a more uncomfortable, excruciating experience? Hell, at least they sedated me for the colonoscopy.

This was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. And I've seen quite a few. The tone was all over the place, the performances off, it contained not a single laugh, not even a chuckle. Every scene just dies on the screen, holding no compelling interest, drama, or comedy. The dinner scene early in the film when John Michael Higgins begins singing is completely unwatchable. I put my head in my hands, waiting for that one to go by. I felt so embarrassed for everyone involved every single step of the way.

I guess they all thought they were making an offbeat, "anti-Hollywood" comedy. (Of course, the sitcom-y plotting and acting and "focus grouped to hell" scenes like the aformentioned sing along beg to differ). Well, all it did for me was want to send me screaming into the arms of the most formulaic garbage the Hollywood shit factory has to offer. Seriously, I'm talking Sandra Bullock territory. The movie also recieved the occasional 'nervous laugh' from various small parts of the audience, a sure sign of a truly awful comedy.

Fuck this movie. At least American Dreamz was sometimes amusingly bad.

Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:26 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

F

Monday morning I had a colonoscopy. Monday afternoon I saw The Break-Up. Guess which was a more uncomfortable, excruciating experience? Hell, at least they sedated me for the colonoscopy.

This was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. And I've seen quite a few. The tone was all over the place, the performances off, it contained not a single laugh, not even a chuckle. Every scene just dies on the screen, holding no compelling interest, drama, or comedy. The dinner scene early in the film when John Michael Higgins begins singing is completely unwatchable. I put my head in my hands, waiting for that one to go by. I felt so embarrassed for everyone involved every single step of the way.

I guess they all thought they were making an offbeat, "anti-Hollywood" comedy. (Of course, the sitcom-y plotting and acting and "focus grouped to hell" scenes like the aformentioned sing along beg to differ). Well, all it did for me was want to send me screaming into the arms of the most formulaic garbage the Hollywood shit factory has to offer. Seriously, I'm talking Sandra Bullock territory. The movie also recieved the occasional 'nervous laugh' from various small parts of the audience, a sure sign of a truly awful comedy.

Fuck this movie. At least American Dreamz was sometimes amusingly bad.

Worst review ever?

Indeed

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:18 pm
Forum General

I saw it last night. It started off so great. I was so happy that it seemed like the bad reviews were wrong. But then, it went south, very quickly. Everything before the break up was A+, a little bit after the break up was B, but then the rest of it was a solid C.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:24 am
Romosexual!

[spoil]they actually broke up[/spoil]

B

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:27 pm
htm

Time for another one of Zac's trademark reviews..... Heh, liked it for the most part. A bit sappy at times and at others tired. It wasn't particularly fresh... sort of mediocre. I was entertained throughout it, though... the ending really worked for me. I liked the vibe. I'll settle for a B-....

Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:33 am
Forum General

I think the movie itself got to be a mess, just a little, because it tried to balance the comedy with the drama.

I've never been in a relationship really but it does stir alot of emotions and I think the ending caught me WAY off guard. And in some way, it's actually a REALLY good ending. At first I thought it was neat not to have a Hollywood ending, but actually it's more of an uplifting ending... for the movie and maybe not the viewer :tongue: They both, essentially, gained much more than they lost from this relationship. It changed them each drastically. She learned not to be taken advantage of and he learned to not take advantage of others.

Jennifer Aniston is HOTT!! and that scene after the concert was just amazing. She played it so well!!!!

So, I think I liked it ;)

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:23 am
Team Kris

Same thoughts as Raffi, except that I'm still on the fence. Maybe because my friends next to me were fondling each other throughout the movie?

I'm seeing it again this Sunday so this has another chance.

Alone.

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:30 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

So... I think I may have cried more than my gf during the movie...

And my mom didn't even cry!

Does that make me gay?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:31 am
Team Kris

So... I think I may have cried more than my gf during the movie...

And my mom didn't even cry!

Does that make me gay?

Nah, it just means you have huge

tear ducts.

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:38 am
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Great movie if you can just forget the ending of the movie.

Lots of laughs and the way they try to one up each is great.

The ending sucks ass. I mean seriouslly, didnt they screen this shiate? How can you have a ending like that..if this is suppose to be a 'date' movie? You really want to take your date to this?

C-

Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
htm

Same thoughts as Raffi, except that I'm still on the fence. Maybe because my friends next to me were fondling each other throughout the movie?

I'm seeing it again this Sunday so this has another chance.

Alone.

Mmmhehehehe. Fondling.

:unsure:

Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:25 pm
htm

I thought I posted a grade here? Hmm, don't see it...

I enjoyed it. A touching mess. Think I'd give it a B/B-.

I do agree that the ending was the highlight...

Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:27 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

I really don't know what to say. It was funny at times, bittersweet and times...and then, that ending. I'm not sure what to say, reminds me of Prime in a lot of ways in that it was so unconventional.

I'm just...not sure what to think. B- for now...

Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:13 am
Kypade

Ahem, yes... moving along...

lennier wrote:
Time for another one of Zac's trademark reviews..... Heh, liked it for the most part. A bit sappy at times and at others tired. It wasn't particularly fresh... sort of mediocre. I was entertained throughout it, though... the ending really worked for me. I liked the vibe. I'll settle for a B-....

:O :O :O

ps - i think you have the same avatar as someone else here (though different sizes, slightly). MikeQ, maybe? Please meet with this mystery poster and sort out who gets to keep the avatartar.

Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:17 am
New Server, Same X

I don't see the big problem with the ending. :blink:

Anyway, I liked it. I didn't love it. My grade is around a B/B-. I start reading certain reviews, and I almost considered an A-! Thank God yoshue knocked my opinion down a bit, back into the territory where I started. :tongue:

B/B-

Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:19 pm
htm

lennier wrote:
Ahem, yes... moving along...

lennier wrote:

:O :O :O

ps - i think you have the same avatar as someone else here (though different sizes, slightly). MikeQ, maybe? Please meet with this mystery poster and sort out who gets to keep the avatartar.

It happens! I knew I reviewed it the second time around... but I wanted to voice my support for the ending. Again. So.... then I got distracted and reviewed it all over. So.... um, screw you? :tongue:

Mike can keep the blurry Babeltar

Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:05 am
Top Poster

A-. I'm glad I already read about it not being romantic or comedic before finally seeing this film so as not to have false expectations. As a drama, it is kind of moving and reminds me of Closer.

Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:41 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

It wasnt what i was expecting. It really wasnt all that funny to me but i did like the movie a lot.

I just like the fact the it didnt have the typical we are in love and we are together forever ending.

B+

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next