Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 The Break-Up 

What grade would you give this film?
A 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
B 51%  51%  [ 21 ]
C 27%  27%  [ 11 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
F 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 41

The Break-Up 
The French Dutch Boy

Wow, this movie is extremely unconventional for it's type. It even avoided the cliche "they get back together and everything goes back to normal" ending. Even while keeping the humurous tone throughout the film, some scenes also had great resonance. The arguments between Gary and Brooke were very well written; they all reminded me exactly of typical relationship arguments I've witnessed.

Overall, this was a big surprise. Vaughn and Aniston were both great. Instead of being a generic C-range rom-com, this gets a solid B.

Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:12 pm
Devil's Advocate

It had it's really funny moments, but overall seemed a bit too low key and downbeat to really call it great. Performances and script were both really good, but I'm too sure this movie will stand out as memorable down the road. Decent stuff, but middle of the road comedy for sure.

Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:59 am
We had our time together

What a disapointment. There were one or two really funny scenes but that's it. It just get's way too serious after the first half hour or so. C-

Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:34 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

This is the most falsely-advertised movie in years. It is being displayed as a Wedding Crashers-type of comedy with a romcom touch added. In fact, I laughed a total of ONE time during the whole movie. I didn't even think the movie tried very hard to make the viewers laugh. This is a serious drama. As simple as that. It's not a fun and entertaining comedy. The comedy is there as the selling point, but essentially it were those bits of humor in the film that proved to be distracting to me. I think without the humor the movie would have been even better off (if much less successful of course). It is a break-up-drama as the title says. It felt pretty real too. Vince Vaughn delivers a brilliant performance and Aniston who I am not a big fan of is pretty good as well. Their constant bickering and arguing may have annoyed many, but I thought it felt very real and authentic. I could actually relate to a lot of Gary said myself. A sad films at times. It is a miserable failure as a comedy, but a decent atte,mpt at drama. With the slight humor removed, it'd have been even better.

Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Hmm...

I really don't know what to say. It was funny at times, bittersweet and times...and then, that ending. I'm not sure what to say, reminds me of Prime in a lot of ways in that it was so unconventional.

I'm just...not sure what to think. B- for now...

Strangely, for some reason I really want to see this again. I imagine my grade will improve a bit as well.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:47 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Watched it again tonight and liked it a lot more. The chemistry was perfect even in its non-existance. The ending also struck me a lot more this time as so perfect for the film. It is a daring film, and I must say I quite enjoyed it. B+

Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:29 pm
Forum General

I can see how people might have had problems with the tone, but it didn't bother me because I never thought it was really striving for that broad, romcom comedy. I guess that in itself is what disappointed a lot of people, but I found it refreshing. I also even *gasp!* liked Vince Vaughn! Thought he was a lot more restrained here. And loved Jennifer Aniston, who I honestly think is one of the most underrated actresses working in film today.

That said, it's not a fantastic film. It doesn't really bring anything new to the table besides its drama/comedy ratio.

But I still liked it.

B

Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

I liked that the Break Up wasn't your standard romance movie - the type where they fall in love, there is a misunderstanding, they fall apart, and it ends with a scene where the guy rushes off to stop the girl at the end at the airport before she leaves for some far away country and they live happily ever after.

Anyhow, this had some funny moments (all the video game related stuff rocked), I liked the semi-realistic fights, and Aniston and Vaughn did a nice job. However, there was something missing from the movie that I can't quite put my finger on... at times it seemed as though there wasn't much going on, or the plot was a little too simplistic to sustain a 2 hour movie. Whatever it was, it kept it from being a great movie and instead was just good for me.

I give the Break Up a B

Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:03 pm
loyalfromlondon

A supposed romcom that actually turns out to be a melodrama, though it doesn't do either very well. It never decides if it wants to be comedy or drama or a blend of both, and ends up faltering because of it. There are very few laughs for a Vince Vaughn flick, and the bickering is neither humourous nor interesting. The acting is just okay, and the direction is pretty stale. The highlight, by far, is the interplay between Vaughn and Jon Favreau - the only truly funny parts of the film. The rest of the film, while attempting to be a realistic drama, never involves the audience, mostly because neither character is that endearing or likable. A rather depressing film.

C-

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:54 pm
Artie the One-Man Party

I really liked it. A good mix of humor and drama, and it just wasn't marketed correctly (although that's a good thing because it wouldn't have made as much). I don't know. Everything just fit together perfectly, the acting, the script, the supporting players (Favreau especially). A very enjoyable, not-as-depressing-as-people-say, unconventional little movie that really avoids easy cliches, and I don't just mean by its ending.

A-

Tue May 15, 2007 10:31 pm
I just lost the game

Post Re: The Break-Up
I liked it a lot. I didn't mind the ending a whole lot, or the dissent form comedy to drama. The emotions were real and raw, so the progression didn't phase me at all. If that's the direction the characters go, I can't stop it! Vaughn and Aniston at the dinner table near the end was really something to watch. they were stellar throughout, with their standout scene probably early in the movie when they finally have the big fight. It was executed wonderfully. Everything about the movie worked. It wasn't happy (it's about a couple breaking up people, did you really expect a lovey-dovey affair?) but not necessarily sad either. I actually would have preferred the ending to have been after they leave the apartment. None of the bookend epilogue-esque material. Everything still wokred though. Vince Vaughn further paves his way into my favorite comedic actors list. Kudos all around.

A-

Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:42 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

I don't think I've commented on this, but i loved The Break-Up. Great performance from Aniston. The only flaw is that it pains Vaughn too unlikeable that in the end I didn't care for him.

B

Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:19 pm
Aspiring Director

I give this a C because I feel that it is manipulatively depressing.

My favorite scene was either the date playing madden, or the hitman conversation.

The best description I have heard referring to this movie is 'It's like watching your parents fight'.

I am not saying that movies need happy endings, but romantic comedies need happy endings. Maybe the problem with the movie isn't the movie but the trailer and advertising.

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:29 am
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

it did have a happy ending though.

Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:50 pm
Superman: The Movie

I saw it on HBO not too long ago and I have to say, if you know what you're getting into, it's a good film. If the film wasn't so poorly marketed in terms of presenting what the film actually was, I think I would've liked it the first time I saw it, instead of pretty much hating.

Where I stand right now is that the film is funny, and in some scenes even clever. That saying, I still really couldn't get past the fact that a good chunk of the time, it's just two people arguing which gets boring after awhile.

C

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:28 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

B+. One of my favourite romcom's in recent years. It isn't even a romcom, it's a dramedy, with little romance. But that is why it works. It is authentic of relationships and while sometimes its unpleasent to watch I can't help but relate to it. The ending is fantastic.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3