Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 An Inconvenient Truth 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 14 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 8 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 28

An Inconvenient Truth 
College Boy Z

Post An Inconvenient Truth
An Inconvenient Truth

Quote:
An Inconvenient Truth is a 2006 documentary film directed by Davis Guggenheim about former United States Vice President Al Gore's campaign to educate citizens about global warming via a comprehensive slide show that, by his own estimate, he has given more than a thousand times.

Premiering at the 2006 Sundance Film Festival and opening in New York City and Los Angeles on May 24, 2006, the documentary was a critical and box-office success, winning Academy Awards for Best Documentary Feature and for Best Original Song. The film also earned $49 million at the box office worldwide, becoming the sixth-highest-grossing documentary film to date in the United States.

The idea to document his efforts came from Laurie David who saw his presentation at a town-hall meeting on global warming which coincided with the opening of The Day After Tomorrow. David was so inspired by Gore's slide show that she, with Lawrence Bender, met with Guggenheim to adapt the presentation into a film.

Since the film's release, An Inconvenient Truth has been credited for raising international public awareness of climate change and reenergizing the environmental movement. The documentary has also been included in science curricula in schools around the world, which has spurred some controversy.

Last edited by zingy on Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 25, 2006 3:38 pm
As a film that bills itself as 'the truth' I expect it to distort the truth quite a bit, considering that it's based on Al Gore's Global Warming presentation. Guess I'll pass.

Thu May 25, 2006 3:57 pm
Extraordinary

Well, I saw An Inconvenient Truth for the first time tonight, and it is simply chilling, or should I say -- just the opposite...

It is a powerful documentary indicting the viewer as complicit through complacency in our own species' potential decimation. It is a superbly argued and presented overview of the challenging situation facing us in the next 50 years, and more critically, right this second.

This is absolutely essential viewing for each and every inhabitant of this planet, and what's more, it's entertaining to boot!

Mark my words -- this film is prophetic - it is the new dividing point between past and future. Step up to the brink, and look over...

8 out of 5.

Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:01 am
College Boy Z

8 out of 5? Is that like "best movie ever"?

Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:50 am
Extraordinary

8 out of 5? Is that like "best movie ever"?

In order to not clutter up the thread with a debate on movie rating philosophy, please see the discussion on that topic in the thread on this film over in the Foreign and Independent Film forum...

Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:42 am
Forum General

I was intrigued, interested, entertained by it all -- but ultimately unmoved. Gore's opining is convincing and fraught with conviction: he cares, and his one-man crusade comes off as meticulous, earnest, and even emotionally rooted.

But I kept waiting for something to appear on his handy Powerpoint or come from his mouth that would enlighten me or perhaps put a new spin on something. The data is worrisome; even a small occurence of the film's warnings would effect world devastation. And yet, although we see these climate models displaying things we'd otherwise probably never have seen and some foresight and connections that undoubtedly do make sense, my world wasn't shattered -- as the film's trailers had otherwise so proudly proclaimed it would be. Everything seems relevant, important, and necessary, but it's never surprising, and in that it loses some of its impact.

It's revelatory but breaks no ground.

B

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:18 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The oft-mentioned frog in the slowly heated water?

:death:

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:25 am
Forum General

And the sad, swimming polar bear trying to pearch himself upon the chunks of floating glacier?

I actually got a big laugh out of that.

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:32 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I also think the film goes a bit graph overload at times.

At one point during the film, my sister leans over to me and goes, "If I see one more line graph, I'm gonna barf."

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:35 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

From Roger Ebert's Cannes interview with Al Gore:

Quote:
This interview was last Sunday.

On Monday, an Associated Press story began:

Is President Bush likely to see Al Gore's documentary about global warming?

"Doubt it," Bush said coolly.

Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:17 pm
Extraordinary

From Roger Ebert's Cannes interview with Al Gore:

Quote:
This interview was last Sunday.

On Monday, an Associated Press story began:

Is President Bush likely to see Al Gore's documentary about global warming?

"Doubt it," Bush said coolly.

Bush only likes convenient untruths. :tongue:

Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:44 pm
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

What would possess anyone to pay good $$$ to see something like this is baffling..

Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:08 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

What would possess anyone to pay good $$$ to see something like this is baffling..

I guess you'd have to pay good $$$ to overcome your bafflement... :zonks:

Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:56 am

BKB_The_Man wrote:

Seriously, of all the movie's out, you chose this??? What did you get out of this movie??? Hell for that matter, why didn't they just put this on the Weather Channel or Disicovery considering it's on the subject of Global Warming???

Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:27 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

bradley witherberry wrote:
BKB_The_Man wrote:

Seriously, of all the movie's out, you chose this??? What did you get out of this movie??? Hell for that matter, why didn't they just put this on the Weather Channel or Disicovery considering it's on the subject of Global Warming???

How much press results from a movie on The Weather Channel?

Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:30 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

BKB_The_Man wrote:

I see most movies on the big screen in their original release, but I also realize many people wait to see movies when they're finally shown on commercial television.

However, I doubt there are any of those kind of people on WOKJ...

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:09 am

BKB_The_Man wrote:
BKB_The_Man wrote:

How much press results from a movie on The Weather Channel?

I suppose it depends on how much Press the Powers that Be at the Weather Channel want there to be.. Probably no more than the Katrina Hurricane Stories they've been running all month long..

Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:08 am
Profile WWW
I ended up wanting to like the film more than I ultimately did. There's an issue with Gore's narration, too much Ben Stein for my taste. My friend and I decided Bill Curtis should have narrated the film. I watch A&E's Investigative Reports just to hear his voice.

Also, I'm not sure the film allowed enough time for the bits of Gore's personal story. His sister, his son, his upbringing, all seemed rushed. I would rather they left all that to the side and focused on more graphs (kidding, about 10 graphs too many actually).

Still, it's the scariest film I've seen since Aeon Flux.

B+

Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:23 am
Forum General

My biggest impression after this movie was why couldn't this have been the guy who ran in 2000? There may have still been moments where he came off as too smart for the average American, but on the whole he actually had a personality.

Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:43 am
Extraordinary

I went to see An Inconvenient Truth for the third time tonight - my upgraded review and rating can be found here...

Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:21 am
Extraordinary

BKB_The_Man wrote:

Right!

And the new Superman movie? Why don't they just put it on the Sci Fi channel! And Cinderella Man should have been on one of the sports channels instead of in the theatre. And don't get me started on animated films -- there are, after all, a couple of cartoon channels they could have been on.

Not only that, I understand that some people are actually reading books and magazines to learn things too, and some of these subscriptions are even more expensive than a movie ticket! Why someone would ever pay to learn something as well as being entertained is ridiculous.

Yeah, I agree, BKB, it's a mystery why everyone doesn't think exactly like you.

Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:57 pm
Profile WWW

BKB_The_Man wrote:
BKB_The_Man wrote:

Right!

And the new Superman movie? Why don't they just put it on the Sci Fi channel! And Cinderella Man should have been on one of the sports channels instead of in the theatre. And don't get me started on animated films -- there are, after all, a couple of cartoon channels they could have been on.

Not only that, I understand that some people are actually reading books and magazines to learn things too, and some of these subscriptions are even more expensive than a movie ticket! Why someone would ever pay to learn something as well as being entertained is ridiculous.

Yeah, I agree, BKB, it's a mystery why everyone doesn't think exactly like you.

Its mystery why we all don't post in bold or that we post at all :shock:

Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:11 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Very, very, very timely and very relevant but also slightly underwhelming. One thing is for sure, this is no Michael Moore style film, though the filmmakers use an animated segment in an attempt to draw laughter. In reality though, An Inconvenient Truth is rather cut and dry and sometimes a bit akward. Some of the times when Gore's personal memoirs are interjected feel a bit out of place, as though they try to draw a sort of emotional connection that ends up not quite working.

In the end though, the relevancy of the films outweighs the downsides, its truely a film that commands a viewing, not necessarily theatrical but in some format. A strong documentary though certainly not the best in its class. B+

Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:18 pm
Forum General

I was somewhat bothered by the memoir thingys, but they all did connect in the end, it was just the way they segued (or failed to) that didn't work.

Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:09 pm
The French Dutch Boy

I went to see An Inconvenient Truth for the third time tonight - my upgraded review and rating can be found here...

Wow, a 9 out of 5. That's, like, double-perfect. I must see this film (too bad it's playing in so few theatres and of course is therefore nowhere near me here in Canada...)

PEACE, Mike.

Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next