Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Just My Luck 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
F 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Just My Luck 
College Boy Z

Post Just My Luck
Just My Luck

Quote:
Just My Luck is a 2006 American romantic comedy film directed by Donald Petrie and written by I. Marlene King and Amy B. Harris. The film stars Lindsay Lohan and Chris Pine as the main characters. Lohan stars as Ashley, the luckiest girl in Manhattan, New York. She loses her luck after kissing Jake, portrayed by Pine, at a masquerade bash. After six years in development hell, the film was released in the United States on May 12, 2006.

The film was released under Twentieth Century Fox and Regency Pictures and features supporting roles by Samaire Armstrong, Faizon Love, Missi Pyle, and McFly, the British band who Jake discovers and tries to help them find a producer.

Last edited by zingy on Wed May 17, 2006 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 11, 2006 7:14 pm
Orphan

An uncommonly lucky young businesswoman finds herself on the other side of the coin after kissing a stranger at a masquerade ball. Now she must locate the kissee and kiss him again so she can regain her lucky streak in Donald Petrie's comedic romance with a fantasy twist.

Ashley Albright (Lindsay Lohan) is quickly becoming a PR star after singlehandedly keeping a high-powered client (Faizon Love) in the fold. Now she has to plan and put on a masquerade ball for charity with the help of her cadre of friends.

Concurrently, a manager (Chris Pine) for British rock group McFly has about the worst luck imaginable. When trying to get the attention of the aforementioned high-powered client (Love) his pants fall down, a bird craps on his jacket, he picks up a greenback he doesn't realize is covered in dog crap (This film likes its poop), and he falls into a female jogger when his pants are down and is arrested. He does manage to stealthily get himself into the masquerade ball at which he dances and is kissed by Albright, an act that instantaneously switches their respective fortunes. Now everything falls his way while Albright soon finds herself unemployed and repeatedly imprisoned for numerous reasons. Ashley goes on a pratfall-filled quest to find the masked man she kissed at the ball.

Filled with slapstick of the most inane kind, 'Just My Luck,' produced by Bruce Willis of all people, is a terrible film; the sort of dumb comedy that would have been better off debuting on the Disney Channel or perhaps having its negative burned so as not to hurt the careers of those involved. Scene after scene is comprised of someone falling down or getting pooped on or humiliated in some way. It's the equivalent of reality TV gone cinematic. Meandering pacing also drags the film down as the result is a foregone conclusion so why Petrie takes forever to get us there is a mystery. The writing duo of I. Marlene King (1995's 'National Lampoon's Senior Trip') and Amy Harris (HBO's now canceled "The Comeback") also falter in their creating of Lohan's character. Ashley Albright is such an unlikable persona that takes everything for granted and flaunts her good luck that one wonders how she has any friends at all, let alone two (nicely played by Samaire Armstrong and Bree Turner).

Of course, tabloid magnet Lohan's listless performance doesn't help matters. She constantly looks like she would rather be anywhere but on set filming yet another by-the-numbers comedy for the tween set. In fact, in some scenes she looks and acts so lethargic you want to tell her to go and get some much-needed rest. Experiencing better fate (pun intended) is her love interest as played by Chris Pine ('The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement') mainly because he actually appears to be giving it his all. Also helping him is the likeable, everyman nature of his character.

In the end though, 'Just My Luck' is just too dumb to fathom spending your hard-earned money on.

D-

Last edited by Harry Warden on Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 15, 2006 6:42 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

Oh Jesus, Lindsay. Oh Jesus.

Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:12 pm
You must have big rats

Of course this was pretty bad, but I have seen worse, even this year. At least it wasn't as sleep-inducing as Date Movie. Lindsay Lohan is at least still charming. Too bad she's screwing up her own film career because of sheer stupidity. The first half of the movie is paced well and had me chuckling at times. The second half becomes iunbearably bad then. Very corny, silly and plain dubm. Even Lohan can hardly carry it.

Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:31 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

This was produced by Bruce Willis?! :blink:

Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:31 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

Post Re: Just My Luck
4/10 -> D

Blah.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:39 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re: Just My Luck
And just to think that Chris Pine ended up as Kirk, hehe.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:41 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]