Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Amadeus 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 9 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Amadeus 
Sbil

Post Amadeus
Amadeus

Quote:
Amadeus is a 1984 drama film directed by Miloš Forman and written by Peter Shaffer. Adapted from Shaffer's stage play Amadeus, the story is based loosely on the lives of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Antonio Salieri, two composers who lived in Vienna, Austria, during the latter half of the 18th century.

The film was nominated for 53 awards and received 40, including eight Academy Awards (including Best Picture), four BAFTA Awards, four Golden Globes, and a DGA Award. In 1998, the American Film Institute ranked Amadeus 53rd on its 100 Years... 100 Movies list.

There was no thread for it.

We've started a brief study of classical musicians in my class and I've been showing portions of this movie to them.

It is an amazing, amazing film. Although Mozart's laugh still makes me squirm to this day. F. Murray Abraham and Tom Hulce both gave astonishing performances as the jealousy-panged Salieri and the childish Mozart, respectively, although neither actor really ever furthered the promise they showed in this movie. This also has some of the best art direction I've ever seen. A

Last edited by Libs on Tue May 09, 2006 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 09, 2006 6:37 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

I wonder what became of Tom Hulce, he did an extremely good job in the film. I would say this is the best musical biography ever and the tone and music was just too wonderful. Im a true sucker for the rise and fall of characters in the movie and the ending was rather depressing. I disagree about the laugh because it was supposed to make him arrogant in his young career that you sort of hate him but when he loses everything, you feel real bad for him

#3 on my all time list

Tue May 09, 2006 6:41 pm
Team Kris

This is a very, very, very good film. F. Murray Abraham was magnificent. Calm, desperate, calculating, yet also sympathetic. Tom Hulce was also memorable (well, that annoying - in a good way - laugh moreso, lol). Watch out for a young Cynthia Nixon in this film as Salieri's spy who posed as Mozart's maid. Music is superb of course as are the supporting characters, esp. Jeffrey Jones as the clueless Emperor.

A

Also, I remember Tom Hulce being the voice of Quasimodo in that Disney film. I don't know where he is now, lol.

Tue May 09, 2006 6:54 pm
Extraordinary

Heh, I think Amadeus is #3 on my all time list too. Or atleast in the top 5.

Tue May 09, 2006 7:10 pm
The Original

I guess the movie is timeless. I would say this is by far the best movie about a famous person (non documentary).

Tue May 09, 2006 7:29 pm
Star Trek XI

One of my favorite male lead roles (F. Murray Abraham). This movie made me a Mozart 'fan'. A lot of people don't like how they modernized him, but I think it works. Although it may not be very historically accurate, I think it's a great story.

Tue May 09, 2006 10:12 pm
Profile WWW
Team Kris

Don't you guys find it somewhat funny that at the Oscars, Salieri (F. Murray Abraham) finally won something over Mozart (Tom Hulce)?

Tue May 09, 2006 10:23 pm
The Wall

Post Re: Amadeus
Saw this for the first time in high school. Though we don't have ratings here so it wasn't against the law like in Magnus' case. :funny:

Before I refursed to watch it because most biopics are bad. Critics may like them, but usually those kind of movies are done by the number and there isn't much to them. The only biopic I liked before I saw Amadeus was Ed Wood. Now those two movies stand as the two greatest biopocs I ever saw. Others don't come close.

10/10 -> A

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:29 pm
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Post Re: Amadeus
Magnus wrote:
My orchestra teacher showed this to us in seventh grade (which techincally was against school rules as it was rated-R, but she was a rebel). Liked it then but didn't understand it that much. Years later, I saw it again and realized why this won so many Oscars. Fantastic film.

A-

Heh, my music teacher showed this to us when I was in 5th grade. The same thing happened to me, at first I was kinda bored, but I saw it again and was amazed.

A

Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]