Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Witchboard 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

Witchboard 
College Boy Z

Post Witchboard
Witchboard

Quote:
Witchboard is a 1986 American horror film written and directed by Kevin S. Tenney, and starring Tawny Kitaen and Stephen Nichols. The film focuses on a female college student who is harassed and later possessed by an evil spirit after communicating with it through a friend's Ouija board. The film was released limitedly in December 1986 in fifteen theaters, and received a wide release in March 1987.

Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:29 pm
Indiana Jones IV

This film is dated. Some stuff that was scary (like the guy in the suit and Linda at the end) at release is now just laughable.

But, this film still worked to some extent. I own it. Yep. This movie freaked me out years ago.

B-

Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:13 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

Accentuates suspense over gore, 13 August 1999

Author: Dan Grant (dan.grant@bell.ca) from Toronto, Ontario

This is one of those movies that proves that you don't need a huge budget to make a quality horror film, or any film for that matter, but we are talking horror here. I had read many years ago that this film was made for less than a million dollars and even in 1985 that is chump change. But this film is so pure with it's suspence that you would think it was done by a major Hollywood studio with a ten million dollar budget.

When a witchboard is discovered it is at first played for fun. But then it becomes an obsession and it takes over the life of the woman that talks to it. A spirit named David is a little boy that may or may not be the spirit that is possessing the Witchboard and sometimes he is nice and other times he is down right nasty. There is also a great horror villains name in this film, Mal Veder, almost sounds like Darth Vader's distant cousin doesn't it?

What Witchboard does so well is it pays attention to detail and it pays attention to what made some of the great horror movies did. And what this manages to do is treat the camera like it is his best friend. The camera lurks mysteriously behind it's actors and beside them and above them and everywhere else. And what this does is it gives you the illusion that there is someone or something there, and that is the beauty of this film, you don't know if it really is someone or something there. This is great homage to some of the greats like Carpenter and Hitchcock.

Witchboard is a great 80's horror film and I like it for the fact that it is much more concerned with atmosphere than stupid blood and guts and unneccesary gore. 90's horror should watch films like this and use the same techniques to scare us. Blair Witch may have watched this but films like the Haunting and I Know.... and Idle Hands sure didn't.

Thu May 18, 2006 3:25 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re: Witchboard
B/B-

Yeah, it's a dated flick, but one that I find to be quite fun with its fair share of suspenseful moments.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]