Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Kairo [Pulse] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Kairo [Pulse] 
College Boy Z

Post Kairo [Pulse]
Pulse

Quote:
Kairo (回路 or "Circuit") is a 2001 Japanese horror film directed by Kiyoshi Kurosawa. The film was based on his novel of the same name, and was released in the United States in 2005 as Pulse. The film was screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2001 Cannes Film Festival. The movie has a cult following and was the subject of a 2006 English language remake, also titled Pulse (with two sequels).

Last edited by zingy on Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:31 pm
Indiana Jones IV

There are around 5 of them. Maybe more.

The one from Madeline Stowe from 2003 (Also called Octane in some areas)? Mother and daughter on a night road trip and come across some surprises. This movie was creepy for the first half, but really dumbs down when we find out the stalkers are a group of lame vampires. It really came out of nowhere and the whole movie shifted from serious/creepy to downright stupid. Overall grade of C (B+ for first half and F+ for second)

The one from 2001. Also called "Kairo". Plot Outline: Japanese teens investigate a series of suicides linked to an internet webcam that promises visitors the chance to interact with the dead. B-

Pulse from 1988. Starring Joey Lawrence. The movie with the out of control appliances, etc. I saw this last year again. C-

Pulse 2006. The remake of Kairo. Haven't seen it yet.

Never saw the others.

Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:10 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I requested Kairo, so that must be the Japanese one. Put that in the title, Zing ;)

B

It's a very interesting movie. As a horror movie it is not great, but it poses some interesting philosophical questions. Few movies deal with the theme of death seriously. This one does. I am very sure that the remake won't be anything like the original. Whether that is good or bad remains to be seen. It certainly will be different. The movie is never scary, but considerably creepy in several moments. It certainly lacks some explanation. I need to think more about it.

Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:59 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: Kairo [Pulse]
I'm glad I finally watched this, because I remember really disliking the 2006 remake with Kristen Bell. Even watching this film now it sill holds up IMO with the exception of some shoddy, outdated CGI here and there and honestly the low budget, gritty, dark look of the film adds to the creepy atmosphere even more.

I wouldn't call it scary either, but man the way the ghosts were introduced at times was quite creepy and effective and I thought it was interesting how the whole death aspect was handled in this as well.

B-

Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]