Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 The Hills Have Eyes (2006) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 38%  38%  [ 18 ]
B 42%  42%  [ 20 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
F 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 48

The Hills Have Eyes (2006) 
Extraordinary

I was seriously moved more by Doug's character and his transformation throughout the film than anything else in any film thus far this year. I teared up at the end of the trailer attack sequence when Doug is holding his slowly dying wife in his arms. It's a brutal, unflinching, and heartbreaking moment. Especially since we've spent the first fourty five minutes of the film getting to know and appreciate these people.

I actually teared up when he was comforting Kathleen Quinlan as she dies.

Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:11 pm
Forum General

Dkmuto wrote:

I don't deny that the director here tries to imbue the film with some political commentary, but to me, the audience for which the film aims with its excess of ridiculous violence is completely adverse to those who would be able to pick up on the commentary in the first place.

Strange you should say that, considering most of the people here giving it high marks discuss the political allegories in their reviews.

I find it funny when people talk down about horror movies fans like they are some sort of secondary human race that grunts when gore and sex is splattered across a screen. It's been my experiences that horror fans are among the brightest and most open minded film goers you're ever likely to meet, and I'm proud to call myself one.

I guess I should say that I wasn't directing "those who wouldn't be able to pick up on the commentary" towards you. Or probably anybody here who has a grasp on what the film was trying to do in terms of theme.

But you're lumping me in with those who "talk down" to horror fans. And that is not -- or at least not what I'm trying -- to do. I get why people might enjoy horror films and enjoy being grossed out or shocked by heavy gore, but like I said, when it's this graphic (and I should mention that the version I saw was the unrated one), coupled with weak thematic implications (that its target demographic -- mainly young -- aren't going to grasp) and a storyline that goes nowhere other than killing, killing, gross-looking people, desert, crying, killing... I no longer understand how this is a "thrill" to watch.

Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

makeshift wrote:
Dkmuto wrote:

I don't deny that the director here tries to imbue the film with some political commentary, but to me, the audience for which the film aims with its excess of ridiculous violence is completely adverse to those who would be able to pick up on the commentary in the first place.

Strange you should say that, considering most of the people here giving it high marks discuss the political allegories in their reviews.

I find it funny when people talk down about horror movies fans like they are some sort of secondary human race that grunts when gore and sex is splattered across a screen. It's been my experiences that horror fans are among the brightest and most open minded film goers you're ever likely to meet, and I'm proud to call myself one.

I guess I should say that I wasn't directing "those who wouldn't be able to pick up on the commentary" towards you. Or probably anybody here who has a grasp on what the film was trying to do in terms of theme.

But you're lumping me in with those who "talk down" to horror fans. And that is not -- or at least not what I'm trying -- to do. I get why people might enjoy horror films and enjoy being grossed out or shocked by heavy gore, but like I said, when it's this graphic (and I should mention that the version I saw was the unrated one), coupled with weak thematic implications (that its target demographic -- mainly young -- aren't going to grasp) and a storyline that goes nowhere other than killing, killing, gross-looking people, desert, crying, killing... I no longer understand how this is a "thrill" to watch.

I hear where you're coming from, and that's how I felt about House of 1000 Corpses. Like the film was just people getting killed in brutal ways, and the film had no redeeming values to make it worthwhile, I just felt like shit for all of those involved.

That said, I felt like the difference between that film (I still don't really like to call it that) and The Hills Have Eyes is that the latter actually managed to be very suspenful, thrilling, and all around well made. For a horror film that focuses on isolated surroundings and a slow burn build up, atmosphere is key. The Hills Have Eyes worked as well for me as it did because it was beautiful to look at, fleshed out the characters and actually made me care about what happened to them, and gradually piled on the tension and suspsense to a fever pitch when the first assault happens. I'll admit that I felt the film went somewhat downhill in the last with with it's bombastic score (it sounded like it was supposed to be for a Civil War movie) and anticlimatic ending. But I felt that it was still extremely effective at making at least half a dozen scenes some of the most intense and suspenseful I've seen in awhile.

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:06 pm
On autopilot for the summer

makeshift wrote:
Dkmuto wrote:

Yeah, you know, there is a reason why many great directors started out with horror. See Peter Jackson and Sam Raimi, but even Spielberg can be counted with Jaws.

Lets not forget that its the easiest genre to get started in, Low budget, doesnt need big cast, just a gimmick. Not to mention like 90% of the ones released make money. ;) Though I know what you mean though Lect. I agree Horror movie fans usually know the most about film.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:44 pm
We had our time together

I finally saw it the second time today and it held up very well. Still my favorite movie this year.

Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

I was watching part of this on Cinemax a few days ago and had to turn it off after less than 10 minutes. It just made me feel sick to my stomach, honestly.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:44 pm
Forum General

It is still, for me, by far, the worst film of 2006.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:53 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I was watching part of this on Cinemax a few days ago and had to turn it off after less than 10 minutes. It just made me feel sick to my stomach, honestly.

Lucky you didn't write that at the beginning of this film's release -- many hear at WOKJ would've taken that as a rave review -- the film's producer's might've even been tempted to use it as a blurb in the print advertising...

Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:04 am
ef star star kay

I've seen this movie long time ago.. but never got a chance to grade it..

B+

best horror of the year

Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:59 am
loyalfromlondon

A surprisingly powerful and emotionally investing horror film that's almost unbearable to watch at times, but remains suspenseful throughout. The story is the same old clichéd, illogical tale that's been used in horror flicks for years, with a few twists, but the characters are so well-developed that, when the inevitable slaughter begins, you feel incredibly sorry for the victims. Thus, certain scenes are very difficult to watch. For this reason, though, it is easy to identify with Aaron Stanford's lead character and his quest for revenge, and the last third of the movie is very satisfying, while remaining realistic. Still, there are some huge leaps of logic in the story, and - other than Stanford - none of the acting is that impressive. Overall, a memorable horror flick.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:57 pm
Orphan

Chicken ;)

Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:39 am
problem?

Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:46 am
Sbil

Libs wrote:

Chicken ;)

Maybe.

But seeing some poor woman get shot in the head as her baby is having a gun pointed at while her younger sister is watching after almost being raped is not my idea of a good time.

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:16 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Never wrote a review for this wow surprised I forgot.

Well I'll say one thing for director Aja he does build-up exceptionally well I must admit but when the gore and mutants start to fly your left with a pretty bog standard horror. I dunno next to a Neil Marshall movie this just feels like gore for the sake of gore, and even thou I love my blood and guts I prefer it stored inside a more compelling story structure then the standard one on display here.

B- (for the excellent build-up play and the odd glimpse of horror smarts)

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:55 pm
Forum General

I hate this movie with a fiery, fiery passion.

I'm totally pumped for the sequel, though!

Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:37 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
makeshift was right when he claimed that the black christmas remake is better than this. i can understand how someone might mistake the slick visuals and not-terrible acting for decent filmmaking, but especially the ending with the random long haired mutant dude attacking the children - the ending to a subplot that adds nothing to the story, just another 10 wasted minutes - is just lazy garbage that has no reason at all to be in this film that relies wholly on cheap jump scares. its not nearly as unpleasant as it thinks it is and also one of the most subtext-free american guilt metaphors i've ever seen - for a far superior exploration of similar themes, watch the british film "death line" aka "raw meat" from 1973. but perhaps you deserve mediocre horror films like this because most of you gave it an A anyway. I'll go with a C because of the decent gore and 1 or 2 nice freak show abnormities.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:06 am
Profile ICQ
You must have big rats

Heinrich Himmler wrote:
makeshift was right when he claimed that the black christmas remake is better than this. i can understand how someone might mistake the slick visuals and not-terrible acting for decent filmmaking, but especially the ending with the random long haired mutant dude attacking the children - the ending to a subplot that adds nothing to the story, just another 10 wasted minutes - is just lazy garbage that has no reason at all to be in this film that relies wholly on cheap jump scares. its not nearly as unpleasant as it thinks it is and also one of the most subtext-free american guilt metaphors i've ever seen - for a far superior exploration of similar themes, watch the british film "death line" aka "raw meat" from 1973. but perhaps you deserve mediocre horror films like this because most of you gave it an A anyway. I'll go with a C because of the decent gore and 1 or 2 nice freak show abnormities.

I can accept someone not liking this film, but how is the Black Christmas remake good in any shape or form?

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:34 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

One of the few horror movies I really like.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Heinrich Himmler wrote:

I can accept someone not liking this film, but how is the Black Christmas remake good in any shape or form?

black christmas quotes dario argentos suspiria in a good way - nuff said.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:00 pm
Profile ICQ
Extraordinary

Post Re:
nghtvsn wrote:
All the A's for this film will probably turn into B's or C's over time because this does Not merit an A at all..........

Nope. Six years later, it's still an A.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:35 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Yeah, I can't believe how many people love it. It has one memorable scene apart from some truly terrible acting throughout.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:53 pm
Wallflower

Aja did such an amazing job with this remake. It's one of the most impressive horror remakes I can think of. Very well-made. The acting is damn good, as is the fantastic score music by tomandandy (I've been a fan of theirs since their brilliant Mean Creek score). It makes me really angry what an abomination the second was. Aja should have returned for a sequel. I wish he'd come back and make a third. I know a long time ago an origin story was being thrown around based on the comic book. That could be cool.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:24 pm
Pure Phase

Thegun wrote:
Yeah, I can't believe how many people love it. It has one memorable scene apart from some truly terrible acting throughout.

Which performances are "truly terrible"? Because as far as I can see, this is one of the better acted American horror movies of the last ten years. A very professional cast more than capable of selling their characters.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:28 pm
Pure Phase

Magic Mike wrote:
It makes me really angry what an abomination the second was.

Indeed. It's godawful. No suspense. No memorable scenes. Awful, awful dialogue. Filled with those grating, one-note, unsympathetic military characters in its limp bid to resemble Aliens.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Last edited by David on Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:33 pm
Wallflower

David wrote:
Thegun wrote:

Which performances are "truly terrible"? Because as far as I can see, this is one of the better acted American horror movies of the last ten years. A very professional cast more than capable of selling their characters.

:thumbsup:

I found the acting very impressive.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next