Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 The Hills Have Eyes (2006) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 38%  38%  [ 18 ]
B 42%  42%  [ 20 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
F 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 48

The Hills Have Eyes (2006) 
Sbil

Post The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
The Hills Have Eyes

Quote:
The Hills Have Eyes is a 2006 horror film and remake of Wes Craven's 1977 film of the same name. Written by filmmaking partners Alexandre Aja and Grégory Levasseur of the French horror film Haute Tension, and directed by Aja, the film follows a family who becomes the target of a group of mutants after their car breaks down in the desert.

The film was released theatrically in the United States and United Kingdom on March 10, 2006. It earned $15.5 million in its opening weekend in the U.S., where it was originally rated NC-17 for strong gruesome violence, but was later edited down to an R-rating. An unrated DVD version was released on June 20, 2006. A sequel, The Hills Have Eyes 2, was released in theaters March 23, 2007.

Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:36 pm
Horror Hound

Jesus christ. Seriously, anyone who can watch parts of this movie without covering there eyes is insane.
The characters are developed so well and the acting is top notch for a horror movie. My cousin wanted to leave, he kept looking away, and all around me people were hiding or in shock. This is the best horror movie in a long time. I dont' know how it will fair in repeat viewings because it is very very disturbing and often hard to watch. Some of the scenes are genuinely horrific, and Aja hasn't lost his touch of notching up the heart pounding suspense. There are alot of surprises, alot of shocks, alot of jumps, and a hell of a lot of blood. All the gore reaches a sickening point of realism, it's sometimes toe curling. The audience went mad for it, and one woman left during "that scene".

Horror fans will LOVE it, and general movie fans will be terrified shitless.

Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:25 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Aja is the real deal in horror cinema folks and The Hills Have Eyes is the best horror movie I've seen in years. His previous film, High Tension, was like an audition and Hills is the main performance. And as much as I loved High Tension (yes, from beginning to end) and as tense and bloody as that film was, it's nothing compared to this.

Right from the beginning, where a couple of scientists get flung around on pick-axes, I was hooked. An ingenius credit sequence features some old jazz tune set to stock footage of American Nuclear Testing. What's disturbing is the jarring splicing in of humans with all kinds of genetic defects. It's really very effective at setting the tone.

So we begin the part of the movie that fans of horror flicks are quite familiar with, getting to know your victims. Back in January, Hostel attempted to do the same thing in giving the audience a reason to care about the people that are about to go through hell. That movie failed, but The Hills Have Eyes succeeds. The familial banter all seemed authentic to me and Doug and Lynne instantly had my sympathies with the child and all. No transcendant performances or anything, but every single one of them does a good job and I was especially impressed with the young boy who plays Bobby.

The set-up has a gas station attendant (who has long been working with the deformed miners in exchange for peoples valuables) sending the family along a dirt road, under the expectation that it is a shortcut to help them get to California a little quicker. More like a shortcut to HELL :twisted: ! I recall almost an identical set-up in Texas Chainsaw 3, I believe? Anyway, the truck wrecks on a strip of spikes and from here the film hits its stride.

Once night falls a pair of those hideous abominations stages an attack on the trailer that has a sleeping Brenda (Emilie de Ravin) and Lynne and Doug's baby unaware inside. The sequence that follows was overwhelming and kind of hard to watch. A mother and two of her children watch as their dad burns alive, while yards away the other child is being molested, but her screams go unheard. Then later, to see the mother walk in and bear witness to two psychopaths terrorizing her daughters. When Lynne got shot in the head point blank I almost lost it. I've never gotten misty-eyed at a horror movie before in my life, so my reactions came as a bit of a shock to me. And the whole time the actors completely sold the emotion and the terror and made it seem real. That short-lived revival of Lynne (echoing the mother in High Tension) only made it harder to watch. All of this gives birth to Doug The Super-Badass and he and his buddy Beast go looking for his daughter (whom the deviants stole) and retribution.

The final third goes back and forth between Doug's mission and Bobby and Brenda preparing to face Jupiter, the guy who is sent to finish the killing. Doug comes across a small town where the weirdos reside, creepily adorned with mannequins that were once used to gauge the effects of the nuclear devices on humans. This leads to the centre-piece confrontation between him and that big bastard that looks like Sloth from the Goonies ;) . Aja is in great form here as Doug fights for his life against this axe-wielding behemoth. It's intense as all hell and when Doug triumphed, I seriously wanted to start clapping. The accompanying musical crescendo was just too cool. In fact, the music throughout the movie is stellar, lots of jangly guitar playing nasty chords. Very memorable stuff.

The conclusion brings the survivors back together, each one of them earning it completely. Quite a nice visual there at the end and then a hint at a possible sequel.

So basically, unlike many horror movies that follow the same general pattern, The Hills Have Eyes got me emotionally invested in the characters, which ultimately made it all the more horrifying when bad things started to happen. The cinematography retains that gritty look from HIgh Tension and Aja proves his skill in crafting not only the action and carnage, but in the intense and emotional scenes as well. When stacking this up against movies like Hostel or the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake in terms of blood and gore, it's amazing to think that Hills got an R-rating. We get full on axe hits to the head with no cut-away, a guy blowing his head off with a shot-gun and a container full of severed limbs. It truly delivers for the gore afficianado. The make-up effects were pretty great as well.

This could very well make my year end top 10 list for 2006 and I look forward to Aja's next film.

A

Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Quote:
In this day, it seems horror directors can go one of two ways. One, the MTV-Stylized, "Boo! You're scared!" direction and two, the ultra graphic/disturbing direction. Both directions carry one thing in common - they're horror films, and they're meant to scare...

Saw, for example, isn't as scary as it is just plain nasty. When a Stranger Calls is about as scary as The Perfect Man, and The Perfect Man's only scary because Hilary Duff's in it...and Hilary Duff's only scary because atrocious actresses should not be succeeding and living the American Dream...

But, I'm digressing. The Hills Have Eyes shares much more with the Saw movies, except...it's really the first gory horror movie in over two years that is actually, well, scary. When you're not only feeling tension in your eyes, but you're also getting goosebumps, beating at a faster rate, and glued to the screen, hoping for a resolution and an end, you're plain and simply scared. SCARED.

The Hills Have Eyes is so scary, it almost becomes an internal contest, where you start asking yourself "how much longer can I sit through this?" It's the kind of movie where you can't take a deep breath and make the horror go away, the kind where you can't just tell yourself "oh, it's only fiction."

I'm not saying it's realistic. Far from it, though the actors do all they can to maintain some sort of realism when put against a guy as insane as Alexandre Aja. Speaking of Aja, the deaths are so ridiculous, but Aja knows the beauty of slashers. Which makes him god-like, compared to all other horror directors these days.

Only other problem? The first part is too slow.

A-.

Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:24 pm
Indiana Jones IV

This is one of the most shocking, disturbing, and at the same time, most FUN horror movies I have ever seen. An extremely brutal and unflinching look at a sympathetic family who become the prey of the most depraved creatures imaginable. The acting in this film is absolutely top-notch (Ted Levine and Aaron Standford especially) and suprisingly emotional at times. You actually feel for this family as they are picked off one by one. Some of the cinematography in this is amazing as well. My only nitpick is that it may just be a tad too slow in the beginning, but once the action starts it never lets up. This is one of the best films of the year. A-

Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:44 pm
Wall-E

Being the old dude that I am, I'm probably not the intended audience for this film.
I gave it a 'D' and I know that is harsh, but I think it's better to go into this film with low expectations.
I went with high expectations and was let down by it.

Just my two cents-click and mouseover to highlight:

Btw, none of this happens in the movie.
For a professional police officer, Bob ain't too bright. He should have detected the number of flat tires on his vehicle (all of them) after taking the suggested 'detour'. Then he should have instructed the family to stay together inside the vehicle(s) while he walks back up the road (armed with a gun) to determine that his vehicle's tread marks in the dirt road are scarred by the gash of the spikes yanked out across them.
Then he should have suspected the attendant and been on the lookout for highwaymen.
At which point nobody separates while they work on the CB/cell phone problem and conserving their resources (and maybe sharing what they know) instead of picnicking, wasting batteries on playing music, sunbathing and dehydrating.

Later that evening the gas station attendant instead shows up in his car to 'offer Bob a ride back to the station'. Being stuck in the desert, Bob has no choice but to accept, though he does conceal his gun.
Once they get out of the car at the gas station the catcalls are heard in the darkness. The attendant is suffering from his second thoughts. Bob turns around and finds the attendant has vanished. He sees the feet of the attendant under the outhouse door. The car engine and lights are still running which illuminates the outhouse view. After the attendant finishes his business and the mutants are heard laughing, the car engine lights die. Bob turns around and runs toward the car to find the keys missing. The catcalls return. Bob pulls his gun and, instead of firing it off like an idiot, takes cover inside the station.
The rear window of the station is open...
Again, this is not the way the movie goes.

I also take issue with Doug for abandoning his dog and not trying to finish off the mutant while the dog had the mutant pinned. The entire audience GROANED at Doug for behaving so.

The entire audience GROANED at Doug for dropping his loaded weapon beside the 'lifeless Lizard' instead of finishing him off.

The mutant children are only seen for about 5 seconds and are not the tone or story of the movie, at least not in the R-rated print.

I like the hyper speed technique of some of the scenes, though I think during the fight with Doug its use was occassionally distracting.

The film has quite a bit of padding to it and could have been 15-20 minutes shorter.

Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:24 am
Profile WWW
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

I have to agree with Resident on this movie. I screened this movie with a fellow employee and we just screamed at the screen many times saying "why the heck would you do that?" As resident pointed out, why wouldn't a "cop" notice some of the problems they were in and act more like a cop? The family did many stupid things like picnic instead of atleast trying the CB radio and getting help. Another scene that bugged me was when the dad was burning alive, why the son just leaves the trailer and didn't see the one guy raping his sister...? The movie was graphic but not scary at all. C

Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:50 am
Teenage Dream

Full review forthcoming, but where it stands right now... one of the best horror films I've ever seen. I need to absorb this one more.

A

Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:17 am
Team Kris

When you look up the definition of a crowd pleaser, you will find The Hills Have Eyes. Simply put, I haven't had this much fun watching a movie in a long time. The gore ranks up there with the best of them, but the several axe blows to the head and gun shots to the head puts this one at the top of the list.

The trailer scene gave me chills along with the mutant eating either the mother or daughter (couldn't tell which one it was) at the end. Seeing the mutants raping and molesting the woman gave me goosebumps with the father burning alive and the mother walking in on it.

I haven't seen an audience get so into a movie before with almost a standing ovation when he stuck the American flag through the mutants neck. This was a much improved version of Hostel for me.

A

P.S. - That dog kicked ass

Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:55 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Good, because it's fucking excellent.

A

Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:46 am
problem?

Definitelythebesthorrormovieinsometime(FuckSaw2),butitwasstillvery..sameold,sameold. Beenthere,donethat.Imean,it'saslasherwithrednecksinthedesert!AndIwasneverscared,butIdidjumpwhen oneoftheredneckssuddenlyjumpedonscreen.Seriously,Idon'tscareeasy,ataaallll.

Butoohhhh,thegore!Anditwassssooofun!B+.

Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:29 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

When you look up the definition of a crowd pleaser, you will find The Hills Have Eyes. Simply put, I haven't had this much fun watching a movie in a long time. The gore ranks up there with the best of them, but the several axe blows to the head and gun shots to the head puts this one at the top of the list.

The trailer scene gave me chills along with the mutant eating either the mother or daughter (couldn't tell which one it was) at the end. Seeing the mutants raping and molesting the woman gave me goosebumps with the father burning alive and the mother walking in on it.

I haven't seen an audience get so into a movie before with almost a standing ovation when he stuck the American flag through the mutants neck. This was a much improved version of Hostel for me.

A

P.S. - That dog kicked ass

Please, don't start this standing ovation nonsense.. I refuse to believe that this movie received a standing ovation, especially when they have a young woman being raped which really for me, kills any chance of me wanting to see this unless they Delete that all together.. Really, did the rape scene serve any purpose for the story itself or was it thrown in for more tasteless shock factor??

Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:26 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

[parody]I haven't seen this movie and I don't plan too - as a matter of fact, no one with an ounce of intelligence should ever see this movie!

Despite having no clue about the Hills Have Eyes or the low horror genre, I feel confident in saying that this film is a piece of garbage. Why do they even waste their time making this kind of crap? Anyone who actually enjoys it must be a freakin' idiot!

An utter waste of the celluloid it's printed on!!!

FFF (The rare triple "F" rating)[/parody]

Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:36 am
Commander and Chef

I feel compelled to throw in Ebert's review of this film. He basically echoes all the issues i have with horror films.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... 90301/1023

Quote:
It always begins with the Wrong Gas Station. In real life, as I pointed out in my review of a previous Wrong Gas Station movie, most gas stations are clean, well-lighted places, where you can buy not only gasoline but groceries, clothes, electronic devices, Jeff Foxworthy CDs and a full line of Harley merchandise. In horror movies, however, the only gas station in the world is located on a desolate road in a godforsaken backwater. It is staffed by a degenerate who shuffles out in his coveralls and runs through a disgusting repertory of scratchings, spittings, chewings, twitchings and leerings, while thoughtfully shifting mucus up and down his throat.

The clean-cut heroes of the movie, be they a family on vacation, newlyweds, college students or backpackers, all have one thing in common. They believe everything this man tells them, especially when he suggests they turn left on the unpaved road for a shortcut. Does it ever occur to them that in this desolate wasteland with only one main road, it must be the road to stay on if they ever again want to use their cell phones?

No. It does not. They take the fatal detour, and find themselves the prey of demented mutant incestuous cannibalistic gnashing slobberers, who carry pickaxes the way other people carry umbrellas. They occupy junkyards, towns made entirely of wax, nuclear waste zones and Motel Hell ("It takes all kinds of critters to make Farmer Vincent's fritters"). That is the destiny that befalls a vacationing family in "The Hills Have Eyes," which is a very loose remake of Wes Craven's 1977 movie of the same name.

The Carter family is on vacation. Dad (Ted Levine) is a retired detective who plans to become a security guard. Mom is sane, lovable Kathleen Quinlan. A daughter and son in law (Vinessa Shaw and Aaron Stanford) have a newborn babe. There are also two other Carter children (Dan Byrd and Emilie de Ravin), and two dogs, named Beauty and Beast. They have hitched up an Airstream and are on a jolly family vacation through the test zones where 331 atmospheric nuclear tests took place in the 1950s and 1960s.

After the Carters turn down the wrong road, they're fair game for the people who are the eyes of the hills. These are descendants of miners who refused to leave their homes when the government ordered them away from the testing grounds. They hid in mines, drank radioactive water, reproduced with their damaged DNA, and brought forth mutants, who live by eating trapped tourists. There is an old bomb crater filled with the abandoned cars and trucks of their countless victims. It is curiously touching, in the middle of this polluted wasteland, to see a car that was towing a boat that still has its outboard motor attached. No one has explained what the boat was seeking at that altitude.

The plot is easily guessed. Ominous events occur. The family makes the fatal mistake of splitting up; dad walks back to the Wrong Gas Station, while the dogs bark like crazy and run away, and young Bobby chases them into the hills. Meanwhile, the mutants entertain themselves by passing in front of the camera so quickly you can't really see them, while we hear a loud sound, halfway between a swatch and a swootch, on the soundtrack. Just as a knife in a slasher movie can make a sharpening sound just because it exists, so do mutants make swatches and swootches when they run in front of cameras.

I received some apppalled feedback when I praised Rob Zombie's "The Devil's Rejects" (2005), but I admired two things about it: (1) It desired to entertain and not merely to sicken, and (2) its depraved killers were individuals with personalities, histories and motives. "The Hills Have Eyes" finds an intriguing setting in "typical" fake towns built by the government, populated by mannequins and intended to be destroyed by nuclear blasts. But its mutants are simply engines of destruction. There is a misshapen creature who coordinates attacks with a walkie-talkie; I would have liked to know more about him, but no luck.

Nobody in this movie has ever seen a Dead Teenager Movie, and so they don't know (1) you never go off alone, (2) you especially never go off alone at night, and (3) you never follow your dog when it races off barking insanely, because you have more sense than the dog. It is also possibly not a good idea to walk back to the Wrong Gas Station to get help from the degenerate who sent you on the detour in the first place.

It is not faulty logic that derails "The Hills have Eyes," however, but faulty drama. The movie is a one-trick pony. We have the eaters and the eatees, and they will follow their destinies until some kind of desperate denouement, possibly followed by a final shot showing that It's Not Really Over, and there will be a "The Hills Have Eyes II." Of course, there was already "The Hills Have Eyes II" (1985), but then again there was "The Hills Have Eyes" (1977) and that didn't stop them. Maybe this will. Isn't it pretty to think so.

Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:06 am
Profile WWW
Horror Hound

The trailer scene just kicked my ass, i never, ever expected it to be that affecting and harrowing.

Honestly, when the older sister and mum are killed, i felt really, really sad for them.

Iv never felt more sorry for characters in a horror film.

This makes Amityville Horror Remake look like a care bear episode.
Afterall, AMITYVILLE was rated only 15 here, which is pretty tame, (The Ring was a 15). Whereas HILLS HAVE EYES is a hard, 18 rating. Fantastic! :)

Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:11 am
Teenage Dream

Okay, so I've had some time to let this one sink in, and I'm still feeling the same way I felt about it last night. One of the best horror films I've ever seen, period. From the absolutely brilliant opening/credit sequence (seriously, one of the best opening five minutes I've ever seen) to the stirring and highly emotional final minutes, this is simply a masterpiece of modern horror. With this and High Tension, Aja has announced himself as the new master of horror. Forget Eli Roth or any other challengers to the throne. There is simply no contest here.

We've all heard about Hills '06 level of brutality and gore (and trust me, it's serious), so I don't want to talk about that. Anyone who saw High Tension already knows Aja is a master with the camera and is a serious talent, so there's no need to delve any deeper there. I guess what I really want to talk about is the most unexpected aspect of this film, and it just so happens to be the aspect that elevates it to a higher level than any other horror film I've seen in ages - the emotional whallop it packs. I don't ever remember getting misty eyed during a horror film before, but I did during this one. When Ethel and Lynne meet their horrific demise in the stunning trailer attack seqeunce, I was utterly and completely ruined. Heart broken. I've never seen anything like it in a horror film. When Doug comes back to the trailer and holds Lynne, the mother of his child and his wife, in her final moments, it's the single most emotionally powerful scene in a horror film ever. Simple as that. It's in this moment that you know that the passive, liberal Doug is a changed man. Not only does he want his stolen child back, but he's seeking vengence. And we are right there with him every step of the way. The ending to this film has such a huge payoff, because we feel like the surviving characters have truly EARNED it. That's a huge problem I've had in the past with other horror films. I've never felt like the characters had enough of an emotional arch to earn that final moment, but in this one, they do. The family members that are still alive when the final frame rolls have been through hell and back. Fought tooth and nail for both their own lives and the lives of their loved ones that had been lost. When I leave not only a horror film, but ANY film feeling this emotionally satisfied, I can't help but love it. This film is truly the best of both worlds - a visual treat and an emotional treat. I haven't even begin to touch on the other amazing aspects of this film (the political aspects are particularly interesting), but rest assured that this is one for the ages.

A

Last edited by makeshift on Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:48 am
Waitress in LA

That Trailer scene was extremely gory! Potentially the most disturbing scene i've ever seen in a movie. About 15 people walked out of my theatre because of it LOL

8.1/10 :)

Someone asked me to describe the scene to them and the way I did it made me seem like I watch really warped movies. "Ummm.. the guy is pointing his gun at a baby, while molesting the baby's mother, while another guy is molesting the mother's sister and then the mother's mother comes in and she gets shot in the stomach and flies to the wall, the mom then gets shot in the head all while the father is being burned alive outside."

Try explaining that scene without feeling like a freak.

Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:25 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Please, don't start this standing ovation nonsense.. I refuse to believe that this movie received a standing ovation, especially when they have a young woman being raped which really for me, kills any chance of me wanting to see this unless they Delete that all together.. Really, did the rape scene serve any purpose for the story itself or was it thrown in for more tasteless shock factor??

You do know there's a rape in the original Hills Have Eyes, right? And what's more disturbing to you: the rape, or the fact the mother doesn't fight back because one of the mutants trains a pistol on her baby's head?

Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:15 pm
Teenage Dream

BKB_The_Man wrote:

You do know there's a rape in the original Hills Have Eyes, right? And what's more disturbing to you: the rape, or the fact the mother doesn't fight back because one of the mutants trains a pistol on her baby's head?

Add to that the fact that the rape isn't all that graphic, and you're really bitching about nothing, BKB.

Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:48 pm
Wall-E

The mutants seem to favor children.
The background story of the two mutant children in the town is left to the imagination.
Also, the adult mutants are the deformed descendents of the 'normal' miners who stayed in the town.

Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:26 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Nice review makeshift. Pretty much echoes my sentiments to a tee.

Oh, and...

"hey you guys!!!!!!"

Come on. I can't be the only one who thought of this when seeing Pluto.

Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:36 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

Wondering if anyone else noticed this nifty little subtext...

The only two people killed with guns in the entire film are two of the family members, and it's with their own gun. Yes, the family of the father that was so adamant on having them.

Aja is such an evil little liberal. :tongue:

Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:13 pm
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

The only two people killed with guns in the entire film are two of the family members, and it's with their own gun. Yes, the family of the father that was so adamant on having them.

Didn't three family members die from guns? The dad, the mother and the oldest daughter...? The dad was the only one that seemed to be political about it too. I do like the quote though "I'll take my bullets over your prayers any day".

Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:23 pm
Teenage Dream

makeshift wrote:

Didn't three family members die from guns? The dad, the mother and the oldest daughter...? The dad was the only one that seemed to be political about it too. I do like the quote though "I'll take my bullets over your prayers any day".

No. The Dad was burned to death. Did you see the movie? :tongue:

Both the Dad and the young Son were political about it.

Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:26 pm
George A. Romero

wow...i just got home from seeing it. with the exception of shaun of the dead, this is my favorite horror movie in the last 5 years or more. i haven't seen a movie this brutally evil, violent or fucked up in quite some time. one of the rare horror movies that made me squirm a bit.

A

Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 228 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next