Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 The Shaggy Dog (2006) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
B 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
C 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

The Shaggy Dog (2006) 
Sbil

Post The Shaggy Dog (2006)
The Shaggy Dog

Quote:
The Shaggy Dog is a 2006 film by Walt Disney Pictures. It is the second remake of the 1959 film of the same name, which was first remade as a television movie in 1994.

Both the 1959 and 1994 features, as well as the 1976 theatrical sequel and the 1987 television sequel, had a character named Wilby Daniels transforming into an Old English Sheepdog, whereas this remake presents a character named Dave Douglas transforming into a Bearded Collie.

The film was rated PG by the MPAA for some mild rude humor.

Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:35 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I really, really liked this movie. My main attraction to this movie, and I admit it, was Tim Allen. While he seems to be somewhat disliked around here, I like him a lot. I've always thought he was pretty funny on Home Improvement, and I've liked his family-oriented movies. I went into The Shaggy Dog not expecting much, and I was very pleasantly surprised.

Yes, the plot is rather unbelievable, and it never tells you whether or not he stops turning into a dog and how, but despite that, it succeeds at what it sets out in trying to do: be an enjoyable family/kid movie. I found myself laughing a lot more than I thought that I would. The plot is pretty simple and straight forward. Tim Allen is a lawyer representing a company whose building has recently been set on fire. The suspect is Tim Allen's daughter's Social Studies teacher. His daughter is wearing shirts saying "Free Forrester" and has her fathers picture with a line crossed over it in the back. Supporters of the teacher are arguing that the company is doing illegal animal testing while they say they aren't.

They are, in fact, doing the illegal testing, and the movie opens with them going to Tibet to kidnap a dog that is three hundred years old. Typically, a dog ages seven years for everyone one human year, but this dog has a mutation which causes it to age one year ever seven humans years. Dr. Kozak (Robert Downey Jr.) and his two lab assistants are trying to run tests on the dog so that they can make a "fountain of youth" drug to make everyone live a hundred years longer. However, the dog is obviously very smart, and he finds a way to escape the lab.

Tim Allen's daughter, Carly (Zena Gray), and her boyfriend, Trey (Shawn Pyfrom), had snuck into the building to investigate whether or not there was animal testing going on. They run into the Shaggy Dog who had escaped, and they take him home. Carly presents the dog to her father Dave (Tim Allen) and he immediately rejects the idea of a dog and drags it out into the garage. The dog bites him, and his genes are passed through to him. The following day, Dave begins displaying doglike behavior and eventually begins turning into a dog.

From there on out, the movie begins with Dave trying to figure out how and why he's a dog, and at the same time learning about the family he is never around, and investigating the truth behind the lawsuit he's in.

Although it seems like fluff, and to many it probably it is, it is rather enjoyable fun. It was more funny than I thought it would be to see Tim Allen taking on dog habits while a man, and learning how to switch into being a dog and returning to a man. It's something I would reccomend seeing if you like family movies. If not in theatres, atleast on DVD.

B+

Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:35 am
Profile WWW
---------

It could have been a Sky High like fluff, but it turned out to be boring predictable Disney movie. The Pacifier was even better, at least it was funnier.

Some characters are partially likable, but they showed absolutely every possibly funny shot in the trailer.

Grade: C

Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:07 pm
Top Poster

Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:30 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

The one thing that keeps this from being an actual decent Disney movie is the overall corny-ness of the film. I know you have to appeal to a younger crowd, but the sappy moments are pathetic. The reason why the film is watchable though is because of Tim Allen and Robert Downey Jr. They're both not afraid to look like asses, and actually make it somewhat believeable that this is happening to them. I think they're the only two (Maybe Robin Williams) who could pull off what they did, but I think that's due to the amount of cocaine they have taken. They're behavior in the film seems to match what they might have been like on cocaine.

C

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:55 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Much better than it had any right to be. It wasn't really funny, but it was upbeat and fast paced, and above all entertaining. The storyline was good, it was pretty fascinating if you ask me, I mean Downey Jr. has the fountain of youth in his hands, the greatest scientific discovery of all time, but he lets his greed take him away. Also, I thought that the sentimental message on this side of It's A Wonderful Life was done very well, sometimes you need an eye-opener like that to change your ways. The acting was all pretty good, the dynamic between Allen and Kristin Davis worked, along with the kids stuff. Tim himself did a pretty decent job, being a voice works well for him.

So overall, one of the better Disney-family films that have came out recently, and one of the better live-action Allen films ever.

Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:14 am
Teh Mexican

Post Re: The Shaggy Dog (2006)
Its not all that great. Its dumb and predictible like every other Tim Allen movie but its still pretty enjoyable.

B

Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:41 pm
You must have big rats

Hmm, I didn't like this much. Frankly, it seemed rather retarded to me most of the time and the huor was just way too kids-oriented most of the time. Tim Allen is okay here and Robert Downey Jr. is a hoot as well most of the time, but the movie's humor just doesn't work very well. The idea with all the animals being half-tansformed into dogs was pretty cool, though. Overall, I wasn't a big fan, though.

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]