Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 The Talented Mr. Ripley 

What grade would you give this film?
A 79%  79%  [ 11 ]
B 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

The Talented Mr. Ripley 
College Boy Z

Post The Talented Mr. Ripley
The Talented Mr. Ripley

Quote:
The Talented Mr. Ripley is a 1999 American psychological thriller written for the screen and directed by Anthony Minghella. It is an adaptation of the Patricia Highsmith 1955 novel of the same name, which was previously filmed as Plein Soleil (Purple Noon, 1960).

The film stars Matt Damon as Tom Ripley, Gwyneth Paltrow as Marge Sherwood, Jude Law as Dickie Greenleaf, Cate Blanchett as Meredith Logue (a character created for the film), Philip Seymour Hoffman as Freddie Miles, Jack Davenport as Peter Smith-Kingsley (a character expanded for the film), James Rebhorn as Herbert Greenleaf, and Celia Weston as Aunt Joan.

It was filmed mainly in Italy with landmarks in the cities of Rome and Venice being used as a backdrop for the narrative.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:44 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

I was 13 when I saw this, i had a 13 hour stop over in Singapore and I think I was better off staying in the airport. Cause I fell asleep in this movie, in fact, its the first film i have ever fallen asleep in.

I tried watching it again last year, but i fell asleep again.

Anyway your going to need Redbull if you going to watch this.

NO RATING

Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:15 am
htm

Probably one of my favorite movies. Damon is at his best, as is the whole cast. Solid screenplay, fantastic cast, and perfect visuals.

A/A-

Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:57 am
#16 on my all time list. Flawless film. Screenplay, acting, visuals, music, all top notch.

Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:49 pm
Sbil

Creepy-crawly. This unnerved me when I first saw it.

Strong acting from an amazing cast, especially Jude Law (with a deserved Oscar nomination).

A-

Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:23 pm
Team Kris

When Matt Damon started imitating voices, it creeped me out. In a good way. Strong acting, music, visuals all around. One fo the best movies of 1999 for me.

A

Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:30 pm
htm

#16 on my all time list. Flawless film. Screenplay, acting, visuals, music, all top notch.

Creepy.

I'm surprised everyone else likes it so much, too. Most people don't like it.

Damon has never been as great as he was here.

Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:55 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I love this movie, so much so that now I look forward to any film anyone in the main cast is working on. And I get oddly excited when two people from Mr. Ripley show up in the same movie (i.e. Jude & Gwyneth in Sky Captain). It's really like an odd throwback to classic Hollywood (what with the way the characters speak and the upscale European location), with an added Hitchcock-type spin that makes things all the more disturbing. grade - A

Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:09 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

It is a very interesting film that seems to have been forgotten a bit and it deserves better than that. Matt Damon is simply great in the lead role. I wish they kept making Ripley films with him in the lead and not casting someone like Barry Pepper or John Malkovich as Ripley. He was really good in a smart, menacing and creepy way. Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Cate Blanchett all delivered fine performances in this one. Now that I come to think of it, the movie had a really great ensemble. Good score, too. It just dragged on for a bit too long, in my opinion.

Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:39 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I didn't think the plotting was quite as tight as it could have been; I thought he spent a bit too much time running and evading, and hence, it dragged a little near the end.

But otherwise great. Fun and Hitchcock-y. And "Tom is crushing me" made me sad. And scared me.

A-, or B+.

Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Great film. I think it's Matt Damon's best performance yet. Jude Law was also quite excellent.

It's freeeaky.

B+

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:00 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:42 pm
Team Kris

Hot guys galore. A.

:giggle:

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:44 pm
Forum General

Great film. I think it's Matt Damon's best performance yet. Jude Law was also quite excellent.

It's freeeaky.

B+

It's probably the best I've seen from Matt Damon, but Jude Law never really blew me away.

I think Jude Law does great work in Cold Mountain. Maybe his best. And I might be alone on that.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:34 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Zingaling wrote:

It's freeeaky.

B+

It's probably the best I've seen from Matt Damon, but Jude Law never really blew me away.

I think Jude Law does great work in Cold Mountain. Maybe his best. And I might be alone on that.

For some reason, I agree. Law was nominated for an Oscar for Ripley, even though Damon was clearly better.

As far as Law's best work goes, I'd say it was in Gattaca.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:35 am
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

A remarkably disturbing film. I'd have to watch it again to get into the details, but it's a haunting look at ones identity. I've always found it fascinating how Tom Ripley is actually a villain, irredeemably bad, yet we sympathize with this guy and regard him as the protagonist. It's this way in the book, and the film carries this on with it and succeeds. Matt Damon is spectacular, and the ensemble as a whole is great. I love it every time I watch it. Deserves all it's accolades.

A

PEACE, Mike.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:24 pm
life begins now

Post Re: The Talented Mr. Ripley
Another great film that came out of 1999. Jude Law was great and Matt Damon was equally awesome, somehow overlooked by the academy in what is probably his best performance.

A-

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:55 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

Just rewatched me and it struck me really once again how Matt Damon was overlooked for this film in favor of Jude Law who while good in his own certainly did not outshine Damon. This WAS the best performance by Damon, IMO, until The Departed came along...

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:49 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I saw this back when it first came out on VHS and wasn't that impressed. I was really young then though and I've been meaning to re-watch it. Saw it was on Hulu and decided to give it another look. I'm really glad I did. This movie is fantastic. How on earth did Matt Damon not get an Oscar nomination for this? Despite everything he's doing he manages to make Tom surprisingly sympathetic. I found myself not wanting him to be caught. It was actually a lot of fun and suspenseful watching all of the scenes where you think he's going to get caught but doesn't. The scenery in this movie is gorgeous. The performances are all great. The story is very compelling. I enjoyed this one immensely. I don't get how this seems to have largely been forgotten. Deserves to be held in much higher regard than it seems to be. It's a classic. Really wish they'd made more Ripley films with Damon. I know this movie is fairly long but I honestly didn't want it to end. I checked a couple times to see how much was left when it seemed like it was going to be ending and would be relieved to see there was still a good amount left. And that ending. So sad yet perfect.

Another movie to add to the list of great movies released in 1999. Easily one of the best years for film.

9/10 (A)

Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:58 pm
The Kramer

This was wild and I'm glad I knew very little about it going in. How did the trailers for this one even look? At about the fifty minute mark I was confused because it seemed like the story was wrapping up but there was still an hour and a half left. I figured there was a good chance Damon would wind up taking Law's place, Jude does have a habit of giving up his identity in film, but definitely didn't expect the murder spree that took place after. That ending kind of bugged me for a minute, but then I realized it needed to happen. If he had just cashed out and lived the rest of his life as Ripley, dude would have gotten away with everything. He can't help himself though, and elects to take on the life of another. And even though it doesn't happen at the end of this story, we know that this decision will catch up to the new Dickie eventually .. unless he kills everyone that ever knew him. A-

Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:21 pm
On autopilot for the summer

He couldn't cash out as Ripley, that's the point of the ending, his one chance at happiness was destroyed because Peter knew Blanchett's character.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:58 pm
Devil's Advocate

Matt Damon deserved to win Best Actor for this. He was creepy as hell but also sympathetic and tortured. I thought it was a little long and had a few too many points where someone should have recognized him. I'm also wondering how he would get away with Peter's murder on an isolated cruise ship (Even if Peter disappears, another disappearance around Tom makes it obvious, Blanchett would be questioned, etc.) although it was a great ending otherwise. Nevertheless very strong thriller.

Wed May 13, 2020 9:06 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Well no one saw Peter on the boat and no one knew of his relationship with Tom, since only she knew him as Dicky, he would get away with it again. I mean, it's ridiculous he didn't get caught dispatching Hoffman, the Cop not showing up in Rome, etc. He was one lucky SOB.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed May 13, 2020 10:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]