Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Date Movie 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
D 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
F 45%  45%  [ 13 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 29

Date Movie 
htm

Did anyone else think the Lord of the Rings spoof was horrible?

Right about then I contemplated a walk out.

Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:03 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

I sneaked into the movie after watching The New World. Maybe I just needed a good laugh after that but I thought this movie was entertaining. It wasn't the funniest movie ever and some parts were lame but I had fun identifying the movies it was making fun us and I thought overall it was funny.

The crowd I saw it with was totally digging it. They laughed at almost everything. I cracked up hysterically at the cat taking a crap, kill bill, mr. and mrs smith spoof, and some others.

B/B-

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:52 am
Christian's #1 Fan

I sneaked into the movie after watching The New World. Maybe I just needed a good laugh after that but I thought this movie was entertaining. It wasn't the funniest movie ever and some parts were lame but I had fun identifying the movies it was making fun us and I thought overall it was funny.

The crowd I saw it with was totally digging it. They laughed at almost everything. I cracked up hysterically at the cat taking a crap, kill bill, mr. and mrs smith spoof, and some others.

B/B-

<3

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:57 am
Extraordinary

You guys could have been relieved of a lot of pain and boredom (not to mention save some money) if you had just sat down, watched a commercial for this thing, and realized the level of idiocy this nonsense is playing on.

I would honestly rather die a horrible death engineered by whoever the fuck was killing people in Saw II than ever sit through something as obviously devoid of wit, intelligence and talent as this.
If you think that sounds somehow overdramatic or silly, let me just say that my mere 1 viewing of Scary Movie 3, surrounded by people laughing (!), sent me into a spiraling existenial crisis from which I am still not fully recovered.

yoshue wrote:

*Slaps Mr. X with one of those nifty white gloves*

Sir, I demand satifsfaction!

Actually, point taken, as I do know that some of my posts do indeed come off as more than a bit...snobbish, you could say.

That said, I don't think pointing out the stupidity inherent in this crap sundae is snobbery in the least.

As to accusations that I don't 'appreciate' the genre, the the movie parody has been a good genre for decades. Hell, even Scary Movie (the first) was pretty funny. You know why? It was actually satire, at least to a degree. Useless satire, as Scream had already mined that territory, but satire nonetheless; the idea was still to poke fun at modern slasher films. This and its Scary Movie sequel brethren (8 Mile! Signs! That's actually all I remember!) are more like Greatest Hits albums, no actual comedy required.

So, all of your "review" of this movie is based on "watching a commercial" for it?

Seems like a lot of effort went into writing about a movie you would rather "die a horrible death" than see...

Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:16 am
Extraordinary

Yeah (especially the "my precious" bit), but I got a good laugh because the actor playing Frodo was a major nerd on Buffy the Vampire Slayer... who loved The Lord of the Rings.

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:08 pm
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Zingaling wrote:

Yeah (especially the "my precious" bit), but I got a good laugh because the actor playing Frodo was a major nerd on Buffy the Vampire Slayer... who loved The Lord of the Rings.

I did think it was bad but I did like Gandalf screaming at the end of it.

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Interestingly enough, I was watching EBERT and ROEPER this morning and they were supposed to review DATE MOVIE, but the studio responsible for this didn't allow them to screen it saying they were afraid they'd give it Thumbs Down, so Ebert gave this movie "The Wag of Shame" shaking his finger at the studio for not giving them a chance to review it for themselves.. Not sure whey they didn't let them review it, especially when the movie opened to 19 Million this weekend.. Pretty good for a movie not reviewed.. :-k

Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:28 am
Profile WWW
htm

Interestingly enough, I was watching EBERT and ROEPER this morning and they were supposed to review DATE MOVIE, but the studio responsible for this didn't allow them to screen it saying they were afraid they'd give it Thumbs Down, so Ebert gave this movie "The Wag of Shame" shaking his finger at the studio for not giving them a chance to review it for themselves.. Not sure whey they didn't let them review it, especially when the movie opened to 19 Million this weekend.. Pretty good for a movie not reviewed.. :-k

Because it's a terrible movie.

Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:10 pm
Extraordinary

BKB_The_Man wrote:

I don't think that is the only reason that studios skip the early release these days - take Underworld: Evolution for example - a pretty good movie not pre-screened for critics. I think marketing is transcending traditional reviewer channels with some movies these days, because they simply don't need them. Especially with the genres of horror and comedy, the audiences are set to go see certain movies regardless of whether they get a good or bad review. Not only that but when I see a terrible review from Roger Ebert for a low comedy, I know then that I'm virtually assured of a hilarious time at the movies that night.

So why should studios waste their time and money screening a film for a bunch of unappreciative critics, especially when they have no impact on the subsequent box office.

I think we'll be seeing a lot more of this trend in the near future...

Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:23 pm
htm

lennier wrote:
BKB_The_Man wrote:

I don't think that is the only reason that studios skip the early release these days - take Underworld: Evolution for example - a pretty good movie not pre-screened for critics. I think marketing is transcending traditional reviewer channels with some movies these days, because they simply don't need them. Especially with the genres of horror and comedy, the audiences are set to go see certain movies regardless of whether they get a good or bad review. Not only that but when I see a terrible review from Roger Ebert for a low comedy, I know then that I'm virtually assured of a hilarious time at the movies that night.

So why should studios waste their time and money screening a film for a bunch of unappreciative critics, especially when they have no impact on the subsequent box office.

I think we'll be seeing a lot more of this trend in the near future...

Oh, I agree 100%. But if the film where decent, you know they'd be offering screenings to get out the word in the press. :tongue:

Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:39 pm
Extraordinary

Oh, I agree 100%. But if the film where decent, you know they'd be offering screenings to get out the word in the press. :tongue:

Evolution: Underworld was better than decent - yet they still snubbed the critics. I say it's a new marketing strategy - "too cool to review"...

Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:48 pm
htm

lennier wrote:

Evolution: Underworld was better than decent - yet they still snubbed the critics. I say it's a new marketing strategy - "too cool to review"...

Evolution? That crappy movie with Julianne Moore and that B-actor from X Files? Oh, right, you were talking about U:E :tongue:

Movies like Underworld aren't as cerebral or relevant as critics might hope. They get their panties in a bunch because movies - as the become more mainstream - tend to correspondingly get worse. It upsets their anal retentiveness; their addiction to Almodovar and the like I bet :tongue:

Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:51 pm
College Boy Z

It's not a sign of a bad product to not screen it to critics. It's a waste of money if you screen it to critics just to get nothing but bad reviews from people who aren't the target audience.

Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:51 pm
htm

It's not a sign of a bad product to not screen it to critics. It's a waste of money if you screen it to critics just to get nothing but bad reviews from people who aren't the target audience.

True comedy is entertaining to pretty much everyone. Usually critics can spot the above average, worth-your-time comedy. Date Movie isn't one of those.

It's a smart business move on behalf of Fox, considering *most* critics don't go for gross out satire.

.... but to say it isn't an indicator of a mediocre - or worse - movie is to be in denial. :tongue:

Not that critical reviews for Date Movie matter. It'll still drop like a rock.

Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:56 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

did anyone else think this was long, even for 80 mins.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:31 pm
Extraordinary

True comedy is entertaining to pretty much everyone.

I've definitely gotta disagree with you on that point. I find only the most mediocre comedy appeals to everyone. Comedy that any one individual finds the funniest is often pretty far out for a general audience, because it connects with that person's culture, experience, age, and other specific aspects fitting their personality.

lennier wrote:
Usually critics can spot the above average, worth-your-time comedy.

Again, I have to disagree - in my experience, I find critics especially bad at judging the comedy genre.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:19 pm
Orphan

lennier wrote:
True comedy is entertaining to pretty much everyone.

I've definitely gotta disagree with you on that point. I find only the most mediocre comedy appeals to everyone. Comedy that any one individual finds the funniest is often pretty far out for a general audience, because it connects with that person's culture, experience, age, and other specific aspects fitting their personality.

lennier wrote:
Usually critics can spot the above average, worth-your-time comedy.

Again, I have to disagree - in my experience, I find critics especially bad at judging the comedy genre.

Comedy is by far the most subjective genre. What one person finds hilarious another is bound to detest and vice versa. That's what makes writing a truly great comedy very difficult and why so many horrid ones are released.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:29 pm
Extraordinary

In all of my life, I have NEVER ever walked out of a movie. That is, until TODAY. Date Movie is absolutely horrendous, not funny at all, and a complete waste of time. The jokes were not funny, it didn't really spoof anything other than replaying the jokes from the original movies and not adding much to it. Half of the theater attendee's walked out of this film.

0.5/10 (0.5 because I like Hannigan as a person, but this was just a mess)

This makes my top 10 worst films I've ever seen list. I didn't see the rest of it, but what I saw was horrible.

On a sidenote, we ended up seeing Underworld 2, which was already 30 minutes in. That was the only film we were able to see. I had no idea what was going on, and it took me a while to realize it was about vampires, but it was tolerable at least. :tongue:

Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:25 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Eddie Griffin and Carmen Electra in the SAME MOVIE?! My prayers are answered!!!

Let's just say that Alone in the Dark has competition. "Date Movie" is, quite possibly, the WORST movie I have ever seen. My good lord. What was that?! I wish I could say I laughed, but didn't. I smirked twice, that was it. Once at the Kevin Federline line, and once at Tony Cox. Everything else sucked horribly. The parodies, if you can call them parodies, were horrendously bad. Were they trying to spoof Hitch? Horrible execution, if so. What about My Big, Fat Greek Wedding? Again, horrible. Then there's useless appearances by Owen Wilson (no, not a cameo, just his character from "Wedding Crashers"), Napolean Dynamite (again, not a cameo, just a horrible appearance to make you think it's a spoof when it's just stupid), and the Lord of the Rings gang. What the hell was that about? I almost vomited at how bad that spoof was.

Then they throw in parodies, and they clearly have no idea what they're spoofing at all! "Pimp My Ride" gets spoofed, but they throw in a lame "Star Wars" reference. They tried to cram it in there, and it looked so out of place. The aforementioned "Wedding Crashers" and "Napolean Dynamite" spoofs were horrible! It's like the two writers (yeah, definitely the supplier of all the stupid moments from "Scary Movie") didn't see the movies, but decided to spoof them anyway.

"Hey, what was 'Wedding Crashers' like?"
"Dunno, didn't see it."
"Well... we'll just say he's crashing a wedding. People will get it. People are smart like that."

And, anything with potential to supply a laugh is run into the ground. I kinda chuckled when I saw the cat taking a crap in the toilet. Hey, I'm Mr. Toilet Humor! But, they run the joke for 30 seconds!! It's like the movie is DARING us to laugh. The Kill Bill spoof had potential to be amusing, but they run that into the ground for an entire minute. And trust me, the running time is painfully long, even though it's embarassingly short. The Chappelle's Show joke was out of place completely. And one of the early spoofs that made me cringe was The Bachelor. When he makes his cuts, he shoots the losers with a rifle. But, here's the moronic part: the Price is Right theme plays in the background. Ummm... what?

And don't get me started on the cast. Even Eddie Griffin is above this, and I hate that bastard. Alyson Hannigan is NOT good in the movie. Why she agreed to it is a mystery. And why I watched this is also a mystery. I asumed all spoofs would end up being good, but this movie goes against my theory altogether. Worst movie of the year (and that's a hard title to take, even though I've only seen "Grandma's Boy", "When a Stranger Calls", and "Bloodrayne"). Possibly worst movie I've ever seen!

Grade: F

Excuse any typos, this was typed incredibly fast. And excuse it entirely. My reviews suck.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:20 pm
Sbil

Well, this is probably not going to have legs.

If the general reaction here is indicative. Especially since a lot of you usually like movies like this.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:59 pm
Extraordinary

If the general reaction here is indicative. Especially since a lot of you usually like movies like this.

Definitely. I've liked the Scary Movie films, and I even found Not Another Teen Movie somewhat tolerable, but this was just a horrible film. I have liked REALLY stupid films, but this is just stupid for all the wrong reasons.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:12 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I thought Scary Movie was great, Scary Movie 2 had a quality where it's so bad that it's good, and I thought Scary Movie 3 was tolerable. Little did I know that I would have thought of Scary Movie 3 as a cinematic masterpiece compared to Date Movie.

And hey. My favorite movie of 2005 was Saw II. I don't exactly have the greatest taste in movies, so this should have been great to me.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:31 am
Horror Hound

D-.

Liked the first 15 minutes, some jokes were funny....the rest fell really, hard, flat on their face. I hated the look of Andy, she's hideous...some kind of puffy faced, fake tan stained, streaky skin, bloated whore. Really disliked her for some reason. Anyway, it was a turd, and i wouldn't watch it again. ever.

Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:53 am
New Server, Same X

That reminds me: what was with showing Andy in a bikini about thirty times? What the hell?

Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:48 pm
Superman: The Movie

Holy hell. I only laughed twice (More like chuckled) during the embarassing 71 minute running time. The first time was in Hitch's office with the photo's on the wall of who he hooked up. That was somewhat clever. The second time was when the kitty was on the toilet, and even they pushed that joke to the brink. That's it. For the other 70 minutes, there aren't any clever jokes whatsoever.

You know that uncomfortable feeling when you are the only person in the movie theater who is laughing during the film. Well, this was one of the gleeful times I had watching a comedy just die in front of an audience. No one in the theater was enjoying it, and everyone in the theater was the film's target audience. The crowd was all made up of teenagers, and only on a few seperate occasions was there any laughter. There was not one instance where the entire crowd laughed uproarously at the same time.

This is a failure on all levels, and everyone involved should be embarassed, especially the 2 of the 6 writers of Scary Movie. It's now very clear where the humor didn't come from in that film. Of course though, Scary Movie did have 4 other writers.

This makes Grandma's Boy look like a comic gem.

[font=arial]F[/font]

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Last edited by Jmart on Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next